'I've discovered several things about you young ladies today,'said Mr March.
今天我發現了你們這些年輕姑娘的一些事。馬奇先生說。
'Oh,tell us what they are!'cried Meg.
噢,告訴我們是什么?麥格喊道。
'Here's one,'he said, taking her hand.
這兒有一個,他說,說著拿起她的手。
It had a small burnon the back and two or three little hard places on the front.
那手背上有一小塊燙痕,手心上有兩三塊硬塊。
'I remember when this hand was white and smooth.
我記得這手曾經又白又嫩。
It was pretty then, but to me it's much prettier now.I'm proud of this hard-working hand,Meg.'
它那時很美,可對我來說它現在更美,我為這雙勞動的手而感到驕傲,麥格。
'What about Jo?'whispered Beth.'She's tried so hard,and has been very, very good to me.'
瓊怎么樣?白絲輕聲問道。她那么努力,還對我非常非常好。
He smiled and looked at Jo sitting opposite.
他笑了笑,看著坐在對面的瓊。
'Her hair maybe short,but I see a young lady now.
她的頭發可能是短了些,可我現在看到了一位年輕的淑女。
Her face is thin and white from worrying,but it has grown gentler.
她的臉削瘦,因為焦慮而蒼白,可它變得更溫柔了。
Perhaps I'll miss my wild girl,but I'm sure I'll love the warm-hearted woman who has taken her place.'
也許我會想念我那個愛瘋跑的孩子,可我肯定會愛這個取而代之的熱心的婦人。
Jo's face was red in the firelight as she listened.
瓊聽著,臉色在火光中變紅了。
'Now Beth,'said Amy.
該說白絲了,艾米說。
'She's not as shy as she used to be,'said her father lovingly,and he held Beth close when he remembered how near they had come to losing her.
她不像從前那么害羞了,她的父親充滿愛意地說,當他想起他們差點失去她時,他把白絲摟得很緊。
Then he looked down at Amy by his feet.
然后他看了看坐在他腳邊的艾米。
'I've noticed today that Amy has helped everyone patiently and with a smile.
我今天注意到艾米耐心地、面帶微笑地幫助每個人。
She's learned to think more about other people,and less about herself.'
她已經學會了多為別人著想,少想些自己。
關于《小婦人》
小說的背景是處于十九世紀中期南北戰爭期間,資本主義上升階段就已普遍存在的貧富差距和社會弊病以及各個階級的道德標準在書內也有反映。