Right! cried the Rat, jumping up. Let's go at once.
好!水鼠叫道,然后跳起來說:我們馬上走。
When they reached Toad Hall, they saw the new motor-car in front of the house. It was long, shiny, and bright red-Toad's favourite colour.
當他們到達蛤蟆宅第,他們看見這輛新車正停放在房子前。車身很長,锃亮耀眼,是蛤蟆最喜歡的艷紅色。
Then Toad himself came down the steps in an enormous overcoat, hat and driving goggles.
只見癩蛤蟆他自己穿著特大外套,戴著帽子和護目鏡,正從臺階上走下來。
' Hello, you fellows! 'Toad called. 'Come for a drive. You're just in time to…to…'
你們好,伙計們!癩蛤蟆打著招呼,你們來得正好,一起兜風去…
He saw his friends' serious faces and stopped.
他看到朋友們都板著臉,便打住了。
The Badger walked up the steps. ' Come inside the house, Toad, 'he said. 'We have to talk to you. '
灌走上臺階,說:進屋去,癩蛤蟆!我們得和你談談。
The three of them took Toad inside and shut the door.
他們把癩蛤蟆帶進屋里,然后關上大門。
'Now, ' the Badger said to Toad, 'first of all, take off those silly driving-clothes. '
現在,獾對癩蛤蟆說,首先,脫下你那可笑的駕車服。
'No, I won't! ' replied Toad. ' What is the meaning of this? Explain yourself at once! '
不,我決不!癩蛤蟆答道,這是什么意思?馬上給我解釋!
'Take his things off, you two, ' ordered the Badger.
脫下他那身玩意兒,你們倆,獾命令道。
It wasn't easy to do. The Rat had to sit on Toad, while the Mole pulled off his overcoat, hat and goggles.
這可不是件容易的事。水鼠不得不坐在癩蛤蟆身上壓住他以便鼴鼠脫下他的外衣,帽子和護目鏡。
And Toad called them some very unpleasant names while this was going on. But when he stood up again, he seemed more like himself, the Toad that they had always known.
癩蛤蟆嘴里一直對他們罵罵咧咧的。但當他再次站起來時,他似乎更像他自己,更像大家所熟悉的癩蛤蟆了。
' You knew this would happen one day, Toad, ' explained the Badger.
你應該知道這件事總有一天會發生的,蛤蟆,獾解釋說
'We've warned you so many times, and you haven' t listened.
我們警告過你多次而你從來不聽。
You're spending all your money, you're al-ways in trouble with the police, and you drive like a madman.
你正在花光你所有的錢財,又總是給警察找麻煩,因為你開車像瘋子。
You will come with me into the next room, and there you will hear some facts about yourself.
你跟我到另一個房間去,在那兒你會聽到你自己的一些荒唐事。
And you will come out a different Toad. '
你出來后將會變個樣。

關于《風雨河岸柳》
肯尼思·格雷厄姆的母親因猩紅熱病逝后,外公外婆把他帶到鄉間撫養長大。他小時候流連的田野風光,后來成為《柳林風聲》中鼴鼠、河鼠、獾與癩蛤蟆先生結伴暢游的世界。