"Yes," I croaked softly.
“是的。”我用嘶啞的聲音輕輕地說著。
"Distract me, please," he ordered.
“請讓我分神。”他下令。
"I'm sorry, what?"
“對不起,你在說什么?”
He exhaled sharply.
他急促地呼了口氣。
"Just prattle about something unimportant until I calm down," he clarified, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.
“隨便說些不關痛癢的事,直到我平靜下來為止。”他闡釋著,閉上眼睛,用拇指和食指按壓著鼻梁。
"Um." I wracked my brain for something trivial. "I'm going to run over Tyler Crowley tomorrow before school?"
“呃。”我痛苦地搜尋著腦海里的瑣事。“明天上課以前我要開車從泰勒·克勞利身上碾過去。”
He was still squeezing his eyes closed, but the corner of his mouth twitched.
他依然緊緊地閉著雙眼,但他的嘴角微微抽動著。
"Why?"
“為什么?”
"He's telling everyone that he's taking me to prom — either he's insane or he's still trying to make up for almost killing me last… well, you remember it, and he thinks prom is somehow the correct way to do this. So I figure if I endanger his life, then we're even, and he can't keep trying to make amends. I don't need enemies and maybe Lauren would back off if he left me alone. I might have to total his Sentra, though. If he doesn't have a ride he can't take anyone to prom…" I babbled on.
“他告訴每一個人說他要帶我去參加正式舞會——不管他是有病還是在努力為上次差點殺了我作補償……嗯,你記得的,不知怎的他認為正式舞會是這樣做的良好時機。所以我估計我也危害一次他的性命的話,我們倆就扯平了,他就不必再努力作補償了。我不需要敵人,如果他肯放過我的話,也許勞倫會放棄和我做對。不過,也許我得完全摧毀他那輛森特拉。如果他沒有車的話,他就沒法帶任何人去正式舞會了……”我不停地嘮叨著。
"I heard about that." He sounded a bit more composed.
“我聽到過這些傳言。”他的聲音聽起來鎮靜些了。
"You did?" I asked in disbelief, my previous irritation flaring. "If he's paralyzed from the neck down, he can't go to the prom, either," I muttered, refining my plan.
“真的?”我難以置信地問道,早先的怒火再次熊熊燃燒起來。“要是他從脖子以下高位截癱,他同樣也沒法去參加正式舞會了。”我喃喃低語著,推敲著我的計劃。
Edward sighed, and finally opened his eyes.
愛德華嘆息著,終于睜開了眼睛。
"Better?"
“好些了?”
"Not really."
“完全沒有。”
I waited, but he didn't speak again. He leaned his head back against the seat, staring at the ceiling of the car. His face was rigid.
我等待著,但他不再說話了。他把頭靠在椅背上,盯著車里的天花板。他的神情很堅毅。
"What's wrong?" My voice came out in a whisper.
“怎么回事?”我的聲音低得像在耳邊低語。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。