Nephew. Keep it? But you don't keep it!
侄子:保留它?但你不留住它啊!
Scrooge. Let me leave it alone then. What good has Christmas ever done you?
斯克魯奇:那就讓我一個人呆著吧。圣誕節對你有什么好處?
Nephew. Christmas is a kind time, a time to think of those who need help. It is a time when people smile and say cheery words.
侄子:圣誕節是個美好的時刻,讓人們想起那些需要幫助的人。一到圣誕節,人們就微笑著互敬愉快的話語。
I believe that Christmas has done me good and will do me good, and I say, "God bless it!"
我相信圣誕節對我有好處,也會給我帶來好處,我要說:“上帝保佑它!”
Scrooge. Bah! Humbug!
斯克魯奇:呸!都是騙人的!
Nephew. It is a time when you might help Bob Cratchit. He needs help. Tiny Tim, his little lame son, needs help.
侄子:你在圣誕節可以幫助鮑勃·克拉特基特。他需要幫助,他那瘸腳的兒子小提姆需要幫助。
Scrooge. Why did you come here? Let Bob Cratchit help himself! I am rich, but who made me rich? Did Christmas?
斯克魯奇:你干嘛來這里?讓鮑勃·克拉特基特自己救自己吧!我很富有,但是誰讓我富有的呢?是圣誕節嗎?
Nephew. Don't be angry, uncle! Come! Have dinner with us tomorrow. You must be lonely.
侄子:別生氣,叔叔!來吧!明天和我們一起吃晚飯,你一定很孤單。
Scrooge. I never give dinners to anyone, and I never take them with anyone. A foolish custom!
斯克魯奇:我從不給任何人提供晚餐,也從和任何人一起吃。這真是愚蠢的習俗!
If you have nothing better to say, good night!
如果你沒什么好說的,那就晚安吧!
Nephew. [Going to his uncle and offering him his hand.] Let us be friends.
侄子:[走向他叔叔,向他伸出手。]讓我們做朋友吧。
Scrooge. [Angrily turning away.] Good night!
斯克魯奇:[憤怒地轉身走開了。]晚安!
Nephew. I am sorry to find you so cross, but I will not quarrel with you. It is Christmas Eve, and Christmas should make us cheerful and happy. So, a Merry Christmas, uncle!
侄子:你這么生氣,我感到很抱歉。但我不會和你爭吵。今天是平安夜,圣誕節應該讓我們開心快樂。叔叔,祝你圣誕快樂!
Scrooge. [Still more angrily.] Good night!
斯克魯奇:[更憤怒地說。]晚安!
Nephew. And a Happy New Year!
侄子:新年快樂!
Scrooge. [Standing up, waving spoon toward the door and almost shouting.] GOOD NIGHT!
斯克魯奇:[站起來,向門口揮動著勺子,幾乎是在喊。]晚安!
[Scrooge's nephew goes out. Scrooge sits by the fire, scraping the bowl and scowling. Suddenly, bells begin to ring gayly.
[斯克魯奇的侄子出去了,斯克魯奇坐在火爐旁,皺著眉頭刮著手中的碗。突然,鈴聲歡快地響起來。
The door opens, and the Christmas Fairy, young and beautiful, comes in. A bright star shines on her forehead, and she holds a wand of holly.]
門開了,年輕漂亮的圣誕仙女走進屋。一顆明亮的星星在她的額頭上閃亮,她手里拿著一根冬青枝。]