Mother. [ Cheerfully.] Wipe away those tears, Mary, and let us think of the many things we can still be thankful for.
媽媽:[樂呵呵地]快擦擦眼淚,瑪麗,讓我們想想我們還能心存感激的許多事吧。
The best cure for sorrow is work, and you have had plenty of work here. You have been a great help to us.
治療悲傷最好的方法就是工作,你在這兒做了很多工作,幫了我們大忙了。
I am glad that you were sent here when the homeless children were divided among us.
我很高興分派無家可歸的孩子時,你能來我們家。
Betty. I am glad, too, that you live with us, Mary. You teach me so many useful things.
貝蒂:瑪麗,我也很高興你和我們住在一起。你教會了我很多有用的東西。
May I get my sampler and work on it now, Mother, while you spin?
媽媽,你紡紗時,我能拿著刺繡樣本繡嗎?
Will you show me what stitches to take next?
你能告訴我下面要怎么繡嗎?
Mother. Not for a little while, Betty. Just now you must watch the porridge, and stir it when necessary.
媽媽:得等一會,貝蒂。你現在必須看著粥鍋,需要攪拌攪拌。
Edward. [Eagerly.] I hear steps, Mother!
愛德華:[急切地]我聽到腳步聲了,媽媽!
Mother. It must be your father. Run quickly, Betty, and open the door. Stir that log, Edward.
媽媽:一定是你們的父親。貝蒂,快去開門。愛德華,翻圓木。
Betty. [Looking out of window.] It is Father, and John Alden is with him.
貝蒂:[看著窗外]是父親,約翰·奧爾登和他在一起。
Father and John Alden enter.
父親和約翰·奧爾登走進屋。

Father. Come in, John, and sit by our fire for a while.
父親:進來,約翰,在爐火旁做一會兒。
The good wife will be glad to have a chat with you before you go on your way.
繼續上路前,我善良的妻子會很高興和你聊會天。
John Alden. [Nodding to all.] Good day to you.
約翰·奧爾登:[向所有人點頭]你們好。
How warm and comfortable you are here!
你們這里真是溫暖又舒適啊!
Mother. Yes, things are much better with Plymouth Colony than they were a year ago.
媽媽:是的,普利茅斯殖民地的情況比一年前好多了。
Mary. Oh, that terrible winter! I can never forget it.
瑪麗:哦,那可怕的冬天啊!我永遠也無法忘記。
Mother. It is better to think of the good we have than to be unhappy over what we cannot change.
媽媽:想想我們擁有的美好,總比為那些無法改變的事情而難過要好。
Father. We have much to be thankful for. Less than a year ago we had nothing to eat except our small supply of Indian corn, and were afraid that even that would soon be gone.
父親:我們要感謝的事有很多。不到一年前,除了少量的玉蜀黍外,我們什么也吃不到,而且我們擔心連玉蜀黍都會很快吃完。
John Alden. Well do I remember the day when our share was but five kernels of corn each.
約翰·奧爾登:我還記得那時候我們每人的份額只有五個玉米粒。
Now we have food in plenty. [He goes to the fire and warms his hands.]
現在我們擁有充足的食物。[他走向壁爐,讓火溫暖雙手。]
Aunt Ruth. How thankful we should be that our lives were spared in that dreadful time, and that our harvest has been so large.
露絲姨媽:我們應該感激我們在那么可怕的時刻能夠得以幸免,而且還能大豐收。