Jacques, a Red Cross Dog
救生犬雅克
Did you ever know a dog that did a very brave thing?
你知道一只做過一件非常勇敢的事情的狗嗎?
Find out how the dog in this story saved his master's life.
找找看這則故事中的狗是怎么救了他主人的生命的。
My Life On The Farm
我的農場生活
My name is Jacques, and I am just a plain shepherd dog.
我的名字叫雅克,是一只普通的牧羊犬。
But I did what I could for my country during the World War.
但是,在世界大戰期間,我為我的國家竭盡所能。
And because many people think dogs are not good for much,
鑒于許多人認為狗沒有多大用處,
I'd like to tell you of the things that some of us did on the battle-fields.
我想跟你說說我們在戰場上做的一些事情。
I lived with my kind master and his family in a little cottage in France about a mile from a big town.
我和我善良的主人一家生活在法國的一間離市鎮有一英里遠的小農舍里。
Besides my master and mistress, there were Francis, who was twelve years old, Nannette, who was eight, and little Jean, who was two.
我們家里除了主人和他妻子以外,還有12歲的弗朗西斯、8歲的南內特和2歲的簡。
I was just a young puppy, five months old,
我只是一只5個月大的小狗,
and I was always getting under someone's feet or barking at the wrong time or waking baby Jean from her nap.
我總是會躥到別人的腳下,或者在錯誤的時間吼叫,或者把午睡的簡寶寶弄醒。
But I was learning a little every day, and my master said I was very clever for my age.
但是,我每天都學一點兒新東西,我的主人說,就我這個年齡的小狗而言,我算是很聰明的了。
We had only a little piece of land, with a horse, a cow, some rabbits, a few chickens, and a small garden.
我們只有一小片土地,養了一匹馬、一頭母牛、一些兔子和幾只雞,還有一個小菜園子。
Still, we were a very happy family.
盡管如此,我們依然是個很幸福的家庭。
Then, suddenly, the World War came, and one sunny day in the fall my good master went away to fight for his little home and his country.
就在這個時候,世界大戰突然爆發了。在那個秋季陽光燦爛的一天,我的好主人離開了,為他的小家和祖國而戰斗去了。