Christopher Columbus
克里斯托弗·哥倫布
Christopher Columbus, where would I be
克里斯托弗·哥倫布啊,
If you had never crossed the sea,
如果你從未漂洋過海,
If you had never thought the earth a ball,
如果你不認為世界是個球體,
If you had never cared to sail at all?
如果你根本沒有想過出海,那我會在哪兒呢?
Suppose your small ships made of wood,
假如你的小船用木頭造成,
Were not so trusty, strong, and good;
不夠可靠、不夠堅硬、不夠精良;
We should not keep your day each year,
我們就不需要每年都紀念你了,
And I should not be standing here;
而我也不會站在這里;
Perhaps I'd live far, far away
或許,我應該住在遙遠的地方,
And never know Columbus Day.
從來就不知道哥倫布紀念日。
My house and every building tall —
我的房子和每個高高的建筑——
The school would not be here at all;
還有我的學校根本就不會在那兒;
Along the street where people go
或許供人們行走的街道
Only strong, strong trees would grow;
只有茁壯成長的樹木;
And everywhere on lake and hill
湖上和山上的每個地方
The land would be quite dark and still
土地會很黑、很平靜,
With only wigwams on the ground
地上只有棚屋,
And Indian children walking 'round,
只有印第安人的孩子在四處游走,
And not a Stars and Stripes in sight
看不到星條旗的飄揚,
At evening or in morning light!
無論是白天還是晚上!
O dear, I wonder where I'd be
啊,親愛的克里斯托弗·哥倫布啊,
If you had never crossed the sea,
如果你沒有漂洋過海,
Christopher Columbus;
不知道我會在哪兒。
I like it better far this way;
我更喜歡你來到了這里;
I like to live at home and play;
我更喜歡住在家里玩耍;
And so I'll keep Columbus Day!
所以我尊重哥倫布紀念日!
I'm glad you sailed;
我很高興你遠航而來;
I'm glad you knew The earth is round;
我很高興你知道地球是圓的;
I'm glad the good queen trusted you;
我很高興善良的王后相信了你;
I'm glad you were so brave and wise and true!
我很高興你勇敢聰明并且真誠!
Christopher Columbus.
克里斯托弗·哥倫布。