Every day Hans saw a young princess riding past the blacksmith shop.
漢斯每天都會看到一位年輕的公主從鐵匠鋪門前經過。
She was the most beautiful princess in the world.
她是世界上最美麗的公主。
Hans often said to himself, "How I wish I could do something for this lovely princess!"
漢斯經常跟自己說,我多么希望自己能為這位可愛的公主效力。
At last he went to the palace gate and asked the gate-keeper if there was not some work for him to do in the palace.
終于有一天,漢斯來到了王宮的大門口,他問門衛王官里有沒有自己能做的工作。
"What can you do, young man?" asked the gate-keeper.
年輕人,你能做什么呢?門衛問道。
"I am willing to do any kind of work that the king may need to have done," answered Hans.
我愿意做國王需要的任何工作,漢斯回答說。
So the keeper of the gate told the king that there was a tall young man waiting outside, who wanted to work for him.
于是門衛稟報國王說,門外有一個高個子的年輕人,他想為國王效力。
"Bring the young man to me," said the king.
把年輕人帶來吧,國王說,
When Hans went into the palace, the king asked, "What can you do, young man?"
漢斯進入王宮后,國王問道,年輕人你能做什么?
And again Hans answered, "I am willing to do anything that you may need to have done.
漢斯再次回答,我愿意做國王需要的任何事情。
Most of all, I should like to work for the beautiful princess."
最重要的是我想為美麗的公主效力。
"You would, would you?" cried the king, "Well, I will give you something to do first.
你真的愿意嗎?國王問道。好吧,我先給你一些事情做。
At the bottom of the North Sea there is a string of enchanted pearls.
在北海的海底有一串魔法珍珠。
If you will get those pearls and bring them to me, you may then work for the princess as long as you like."
如果你能得到這些珍珠并把它們交給我,那么只要你愿意,你想為公主效力多長時間都行。