"Ask for gold," whispered the first servant.
要黃金,第一個仆人低聲說道。
"Ask for diamonds," whispered the second one.
要鉆石,第二個仆人低聲說道。
"I will not ask for diamonds or gold," said Simpleton. "I wish for nothing, O King, but a good beating."
我不要黃金也不要鉆石,傻蛋說。我什么都不想要,國王陛下,只求一頓狠打。
"Come, come!" said the king. "Do you call that a good wish? You must be joking."
什么,什么!國王說。那真是你想要的嗎?你一定是在開玩笑吧?
Simpleton made a bow and said, "I wish for nothing but a good beating."
傻蛋鞠了一躬說道,我只想要一頓狠打。
"Very well," said the king. Then he asked a man to take the lad away and give him fifty strokes.
國王說,好吧。說完便讓人來把這孩子帶走賞他50大板。
Up spoke Simpleton: "But this reward is not mine," he said. "I must not take it.
傻蛋急忙說,這個獎賞不是給我的,我一定不能領受。
The keeper of the door would not let me come in until I had promised him half of my reward.
因為我答應了把我一半的獎賞給門衛,他才讓我進來。
Then I had to promise the other half to the keeper of the stairs before he would bring me here.
我又答應把另一半獎賞給樓梯侍衛,他才讓我進來。
I must keep my promises. Let the servants have my reward."
我必須遵守諾言。讓這兩個仆人得到我的獎賞。
The king said to the two servants, "Well, you asked for a reward, and you shall have it.
國王對兩個侍衛說,好吧,既然你們要了獎賞那你們就該得到。
You shall each have half of the fifty strokes."
你們倆各挨25大板。
At that everyone laughed but the two servants, who were at once led away to get their rewards.
聽到這里,在場的人都笑了,只有這兩個仆人沒有笑,他們很快被帶來下去受罰。
Then the king turned to Simpleton and said, "As for you, my lad, tell me your name."
國王轉過身來對傻蛋說,至于你,我的孩子,告訴我你叫什么。
"My brothers call me Simpleton," said the boy. "They sent me away from home."
我的哥哥們叫我傻蛋,男孩說。他們把我從家里趕了出來。
"You shall stay here in my palace," said the king. "I need just such simpletons as you."
你可以留在我的宮殿里,國王說。我就需要像你這樣頭腦簡單的人。
So Simpleton lived happily all his life at the king's palace.
于是傻蛋快快樂樂地在王宮里度過了一生。