The Simpleton
傻蛋的故事
This story is about a boy who was always doing strange things.
這則故事講述了一個行事古怪的男孩。
His brothers thought that he did not know very much, and called him a simpleton.
他的哥哥們認為他不諳世事,便叫他傻蛋。
Find out if this was good name for him.
看看這個名字對他來說是不是名副其實。
One fine day a boy was walking down the road, jingling some money in his pockets.
在一個天氣晴朗的日子,一個男孩走在大路上,他撥弄著口袋里的錢幣叮當作響。
After a while he met a farmer with a basket on his arm.
不一會兒,他遇見了一個手提籃子的農夫。
"Good-morning," said the boy. "What have you in your basket?"
早上好,男孩說。你的籃子里有什么?
"Nothing for you," said the farmer crossly.
沒有什么能給你的,農夫蠻橫地說。
So the boy went on, jingling his money.
于是男孩繼續走他的路,仍舊讓錢幣叮當作響。
"What is that noise I hear?" called the farmer.
我聽到的是什么聲音?農民回過頭問道。
"Oh," said the boy, "that is the money my brothers gave me.
哦,那是我哥哥們給我的錢。
They say I am a simpleton; so they gave me some money and sent me away from home."
他們說我是個傻蛋;于是給我了一些錢,把我趕出了家。男孩說。
The farmer liked the sound of Simpleton's money.
聽到錢的聲音農民非常高興。
"See here!" he said. "I have a very fine goose in my basket, and I will sell it to you."
看這!他說。我的籃子里有只上好的大肥鵝,我要把它賣給你。
"That is such a fine goose," said Simpleton, "that I will be glad to buy it."
嗯,這確實是只上好的大肥鵝,傻蛋說,我會很高興買下它。
At once he gave the farmer the money and took the goose.
他馬上把錢給了農民,拿走了這只鵝。
As Simpleton started to walk down the road, he saw a beautiful palace on a green hill.
傻蛋準備繼續趕路,他看到在郁郁蔥蔥的山間有座美麗的宮殿。
"Whose palace is that?" he called to the farmer.
于是他問那個農民,那個宮殿是誰的?
"Oh!" laughed the farmer. "What a simpleton you are!
哈!農民笑到。你可真是頭腦簡單啊!
Have you never heard of the king's palace? Our great king lives there."
你難道就從來沒有聽說過王宮嗎?那兒住著的可是我們偉大的國王。
"If that is where the king lives," said Simpleton,
傻蛋說,如果那兒就是國王的住所,
"I will take my goose to the palace and give it to him." On he went, singing merrily.
我要把我的肥鵝帶到王宮獻給他。說完他向前走去,邊走邊歡快地唱著歌。