The Animals That Found a Home
動物有了一個家
The Animals Run Away
動物逃跑
Once a sheep was being fed in a pen so that he would get fat.
從前,一只綿羊被喂養在圍欄里,這樣它就能變胖了。
His master came one day to the pen and said, "Eat all you want, poor sheep. Soon I will take you to market and sell you. Then you will be killed and eaten."
有一天,它的主人到圍欄這里說:“可憐的綿羊啊,你想吃什么就吃吧。我不久就把你帶到集市賣掉。你會被殺了吃掉的。”
"I think I shall have something to say about that," thought the sheep.
“我想我有話要說。”綿羊想。
He ate all the food he could. Then he pushed against the door and got out.
它盡量吃光所有的食物,然后推開門走了出去。
"Now that I am out of this pen," said the sheep, "I will find my friend the pig."
“我現在出圍欄了,”綿羊說,“我要去找我的朋友豬。”
The pig was in his pen eating corn.
豬正在它的圍欄里吃谷物。
"Good-day, Friend Pig," said the sheep. "You are much fatter than the last time we met."
“你好啊,親愛的豬,”綿羊說,“你比我們上次見面胖多了。”
"Good-day to you, my friend," grunted the pig.
“我的朋友,你好啊。”豬哼哼道。
The sheep asked, "Do you know why you are fed so well?"
綿羊問:“你知道你為什么被喂得這么好嗎?”
"No." said the pig, and kept on eating.
“不知道。”豬說,說完繼續吃東西。
"Well, eat all you want now, poor pig," said the sheep. "One of these days they will take you to market and sell you. And then you will be roast pig."
“那么,可憐的豬啊,盡可能地吃吧,”綿羊說,“總有一天,他們會把你帶到集市賣掉。然后你就變成烤豬了。”
"I hope I shall have something to say about that," said the pig. "I certainly don't want to be roast pig."
“我希望我有話要說,”豬說,“我真不想變成烤豬。”
"Then leave your pen and come with me," said the sheep. "We will build a house and live together."
“那么離開圍欄,和我一起走吧,”綿羊說,“我們建個房子一起生活。”
"Very well," said the pig. "I will do it."
“好啊,”豬說,“就這么做了。”
When they had gone a little farther, they came to a meadow. There they saw a fat goose. She was eating meal as fast as she could.
它們走遠了一點兒,來到一片草地上。它們看到了一只胖鵝。它正盡可能快得吃東西。
"Good-day, Friend Goose," said the pig. "You are looking very fat."
“親愛的鵝,你好,”豬說,“你看起來很胖。”
"Good-day to you," said the goose. "You are not very thin yourself."
“你好,”鵝說,“你自己也不瘦。”
"Do you know why you are fed so well?" asked the sheep.
綿羊問:“你知道自己為什么被喂得這么好嗎?”
"No." said the goose, and went on eating.
“不知道。”鵝說,說完繼續吃東西。
"Well, eat all you want, poor goose," said the sheep. "Soon you will be taken to market and sold. Then one of these days you will be roast goose."
“可憐的鵝啊,你想吃就吃吧。”綿羊說,“你不久就會被帶到集市賣掉了。總有一天你會成為烤鵝的。”
"I hope I shall have something to say about that," said the goose. "I certainly don't want to be roast goose."
“我希望我有話要說,”鵝說,“我真不想變成烤鵝。”
"We are going to build a house in the forest," said the sheep.
“我們要在樹林里建個房子。”綿羊說。
"Let me go with you." said the goose.
“讓我一起去吧。”鵝說。
"What can you do?" asked the pig.
“你能做什么?”豬問。
"I can put mud in the cracks between the boards," said the goose. "Then the house will be warm."
“我可以把泥涂在木板的縫隙里。”鵝說,“這樣房子就暖和了。”
"Come along." grunted the pig.
“一起走吧。”豬哼哼道。
When they had gone a little farther, they saw a rooster.
它們再往前走一點兒時,看到了一只公雞。
"Good-day to you, Friend Rooster," said the sheep. "You are much fatter than you were the last time we met."
“親愛的公雞,你好,”綿羊說,“你比我們上次見面胖多了。”
"Good-day to you," said the rooster, "You are not very thin yourself."
“你好,”公雞說,“你自己也不瘦。”
"Do you know why you are fed so well?" asked the sheep.
綿羊問:“你知道你為什么被喂得這么好嗎?”
"No." said the rooster.
“不知道。”公雞說。
"Soon you will be taken to market and sold," said the sheep. "Someone will cut off your head with a sharp ax, and you will be roasted and eaten."
“你不久就會被帶到集市賣掉了。”綿羊說,“有人會用鋒利的斧子砍斷你的頭,將你烤著吃了。”
"I hope I shall have something to say about that," said the rooster. "I certainly don't want to be killed and eaten. Where are you going, my friends?"
“我希望我有話說,”公雞說,“我真不想被殺了吃掉。我的朋友,你們去哪兒?”
"We are going to the forest to build a house." said the sheep.
“我們要去樹林里建個房子。”綿羊說。
"May I go, too?" asked the rooster.
“我能去嗎?”公雞問。
"What can you do?" asked the pig.
“你能做什么?”豬問。
"I can wake you early in the morning," said the rooster.
公雞說:“我能早上叫醒你們。”
"Come along, then." said the sheep.
“那么一起走吧。”綿羊說。