This list you left outside my door...
你在我門外留了張單子
Item 1, return Clyde to Watson.
第一條,把克萊德還給華生
I enjoy his company on the weekends;
他周末陪我
she has him during the week.
其他時間得陪著她
I don't care how you divide up your turtle.
我不關心你們如何分割對烏龜的撫養權
I care that you're asking me to take him to Chelsea.
我關心的是,你讓我把他帶去切爾西
Part of our arrangement, you will recall,
如果你記得,我們協議中有一條
is that you assist with quotidian matters when I'm busy.
就是在我忙碌的時候你得協助我完成日常事務
"Busy?" You're watching a turtle eat lettuce.
"忙碌" 你現在可是在看烏龜吃生菜
I'm conducting medical research.
我在進行一項醫學研究
Remember, I cut my hand
記得嗎,我們解剖那具尸體時
while we were dissecting that cadaver?
我可是劃傷了我的手
I'm tending to the wound as we speak.
現在我正在治療傷口
I'm also demonstrating that
另外我也在展現
leeches can be useful in accelerating
螞蝗能夠加速修復受損組織
the repair of damaged tissue.
這一功用
That is disgusting. You're bleeding yourself.
太惡心了,你在給自己放血
And you are perpetuating a long-held prejudice
而你對這些生物
against these creatures.
一貫持有很深的偏見
If you say so.
隨你便
I'm still not taking your turtle on the subway.
我不會帶你的烏龜上地鐵的
If that's for me, I'm going to need a few minutes.
如果是找我的,就得等幾分鐘
I'm feeling a bit faint.
我現在有點頭暈
So, sorry, I was a bit distracted upstairs.
抱歉,我剛在樓上有點分神
I didn't catch your name.
沒記住你的名字
Edwin Borstein.
埃德溫·波斯坦
I have a friend from London who's used you before.
我倫敦有個朋友曾雇傭過你
He said you're excellent.
他說你很出色
And discreet.
而且小心謹慎
Why have you need of my discretion?
你為什么需要我小心謹慎呢
I run a software company.
我有一家軟件公司
We specialize in AI applications.
我們專做AI應用
I assume you know that
我猜你知道
that stands for "Artificial intelligence."
那是人工智能的意思
Yes, I'm well-acquainted with the field.
是,我對這個領域很熟悉
A couple of nights ago, someone broke into our lab.
幾天前的一個晚上,有人闖入了我們的實驗室
They made a copy of a program that we've been working on.
他們拷貝了我們正在開發的一個軟件
I rigged the computer to take a photo
我將電腦設定為每次啟動時
every time it's booted up,
都會拍一張照片
just in case something like this happened.
以防這類事件發生
So I have a picture.
所以,我手頭有張照片
Kind of.
算是吧
So there was a burglary.
所以,是入室盜竊
You've got a picture of the criminal.
你有罪犯的照片
Seems like the police should have this well in hand.
感覺警方應該會將此案處理得很好
This program...
那個軟件...
it's significant.
至關重要
We call it "Bella."
我們將其稱為"貝拉"
Its AI engine is... unique.
它的人工智能引擎,非常獨特
It... she...
它...她...
performs better than anything you've ever seen, I promise.
比你見過的所有引擎都出眾,我保證
She performs better than we expected her to.
她的表現比我們預想得更出眾
Explain that.
請詳細說說
A few weeks back, she made a request
幾周之前,她發出了一項請求
that can't be accounted for by her programming.
但該請求無法用編程代碼來解釋
Impossible.
不可能
What's impossible?
什么不可能
For the computer to ask for something?
一臺電腦請求些什么不可能嗎
If it made a request,
如果一臺電腦發出請求
it did so because that's what it was programmed to do.
那肯定是編程代碼中這么設定了
He's claiming true machine intelligence.
他所說的,是真正的機器智能
If he's correct in his claims,
如果他所述屬實
he has made a scientific breakthrough
那他就是在科學上有了重大進展
of the very highest order.
最重量級的那種
Bella isn't hooked up to a network.
貝拉是沒有聯網的
It's a security thing.
為了安全起見
If she has data, it's because we fed it to her.
她所有包含的數據,都是經由我們錄入的
But two weeks ago, I booted her up
但是兩周之前,我啟動了她
and she asked to be connected to the Internet.
而她要求接入互聯網
And how, pray tell,
那么解釋一下你的軟件
does your software know that the Internet even exists?
是如何得知互聯網的存在的呢
She could have intuited its existence from data fed to her.
也許她是通過我們錄入的數據感知到的
Bunkum.
癡人說夢
There is no such thing as "Artificial Intelligence."
"人工智能"根本就不存在
At least not in the sense you're talking about.
至少你所描述的人工智能是不存在的
It's all just clever programming.
只不過是編程較高明罷了
I don't think so.
我不這么認為
Not with Bella.
貝拉非常獨特
I still don't understand.
我還是不明白
So are you going to rip open
所以,你要把電腦拆開
the computer and look at all the wires?
看看里面的線路構造嗎
Something called a "Turing Test"
人工智能實驗室會定期
is routinely issued in AI labs.
進行一種叫做"圖靈測試"的測試
An examiner sits in front a computer,
一名測試者會坐在電腦前
poses a series of questions
提出一系列的問題
until he or she can determine whether the answers have come
直到測試者得以辨別
from a human or from a computer.
答案是來自人類或電腦為止
Until very recently, no machine has ever passed.
直到最近都還沒有任何機器通過這項測試
And now one has?
現在有機器通過測試了嗎
Partially.
部分吧
A program named "Eugene Goostman" was designed to mimic
是一款叫做"尤金·古斯特曼"的軟件
the responses of a 13-year-old boy from Eastern Europe.
這款軟件模擬一名十三歲東歐男孩回答問題
It fooled some of its examiners.
騙過了一些測試者
Now, in the case of Bella,
對于貝拉來講
we know there's no human in the equation,
我們知道整個過程中沒有人類參與
so if I can trap it into giving responses
如果我誘使它答出
that couldn't possibly have come from a human...
人類不可能答出的答案
I'll have won.
那么我就贏了
So, in other words, you don't really know what you're going to do.
所以換言之,你也不知道自己要做什么
This is my partner, Melinda Young.
這位是我的合伙人,梅琳達·楊
Melinda, this is Sherlock Holmes
梅琳達,這位是夏洛克·福爾摩斯
and his, uh, protege, Kitty Winter.
還有他的門徒,凱蒂·溫特
Mr. Holmes would like time with Bella.
福爾摩斯先生想要見見貝拉
We wired the speakers and microphones through that doll.
我們把麥克風和擴音器連在了那個娃娃身上
You can go ahead.
你請隨意
Right.
好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
你好
Did you ask to be connected to a network?
你是不是請求接入互聯網
Yes.
對
Why?
為什么
There is information there.
因為互聯網上有信息
Information is useful to solve problems.
這些信息很有用,可以幫助解決問題
Why is it useful?
為什么有用呢
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could you tell me more?
你能解釋一下嗎
You stumped her. Are we done?
你難住她了,結束了嗎
The test isn't over because she's stumped.
我難住她并不意味著測試的終結
She's admitted she doesn't know
她承認她不知道
and that's within the range of possible human behaviors,
而這也是人類行為范疇之內可能發生的
and therefore inconclusive.
所以,結果不能確定
I would like to know how you have arrived
我想知道你是如何得出
at the concept of "Useful,"
"有用"這一概念的
and how you have applied it in this instance.
而你又是如何將這一概念運用至這一情景當中的
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could you tell me more?
你能解釋一下嗎
I'm gonna need some time alone with the machine.
我要和機器單獨待一下
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could you tell me more?
你能解釋一下嗎
Yes, so you keep saying,
你就重復這兩句吧
ad nauseam.
無聊
I would like to understand
我想知道
how you became aware of the existence of networks,
你是如何意識到互聯網的存在的
and why you asked to be connected.
而你又為什么要求要接入互聯網呢
The existence of networks can be intuited from data sets
互聯網的存在可以通過已知數據組
that were presented as givens.
感知得到
There is information on networks.
互聯網上有信息
Information is useful for solving problems.
這些信息很有用,可以幫助解決問題
What is your understanding of the word "useful"?
你是如何理解"有用"的呢
If a piece of data can help solve a given problem,
如果數據可以幫助解決問題
it is useful.
那么該數據有用
Is that a definition you came to on your own?
這是你自己得出的定義嗎
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could you tell me more?
你能解釋一下嗎
Why don't you just admit that all you're doing
你為什么不直接承認
is following your own programming?
你的所有行為都是跟隨編程代碼而已呢
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could you tell me more?
你能解釋一下嗎
I'm taking a break.
我要休息一下
Everything okay?
出什么事了
Thank you for coming.
多謝你能來
It's like I said on the phone,
正如我在電話里所說的
he just won't stop.
他就是不肯停下來
You got any ideas?
你有什么辦法嗎
You're not planning to destroy the computer, are you?
你不是要毀了那計算機吧
No, I'm not planning to destroy the bloody computer.
不,我沒打算毀了這該死的計算機
Just ride it out. If he starts hitting things,
不用管他,如果他開始砸東西了
use the fire extinguisher on him.
就用滅火器噴他
Is love real?
愛是真實存在的嗎
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could I have more information?
能給我更多信息嗎
Love.
愛
Surely it's a human construct,
顯然是人們編造出來的
a hedge against the terror of mortality.
用來抵擋對死亡的恐懼
I believe that.
我這么認為
But that doesn't account for times I've felt it itself.
但這無法解釋我自己感受到愛的情況
With my mother.
對我母親的愛
Irene.
對艾琳的愛
Even, after a fashion, with Watson.
甚至,勉強來說,對華生的愛
It vexes.
它讓我惱怒
Love is either a human construct or it's a real thing, right?
愛要么是編造出來的,要么真實存在,對吧
I know, you need more information.
我知道,你需要更多信息
The question cannot be answered.
這個問題無法被回答
The concept of "Love" exists,
愛的概念是存在的
therefore it is useful even if it is a human construct.
所以即使它是人編造出來的,它也是有用的
It exists because it serves a need.
它存在是因為它能滿足需要
A question that can be answered might be,
這個問題也許可以被回答
"Why is love needed?"
為什么人們需要愛
Why is love needed?
為什么人們需要愛
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Could I have more information?
能給我更多信息嗎
Call Edwin Borstein.
給埃德溫·波斯坦打電話
Tell him I need to sleep for a couple of hours
告訴他我要睡幾個小時
and then I'll take on his case.
然后我就開始查這案子
Free of charge.
不收錢
You guys ready to get started yet?
你們準備好開始了嗎
Is he up?
他起床了嗎
He's awake.
他醒了
I don't know how much use he's going to be, though.
但我不知道他能有多大用處
Hello.
你好
Hi.
你好
Um, isn't it a school day?
今天不用上學嗎
I'm in college.
我是大學生
She can come in.
她可以進來
Watson, this is Mason.
華生,這是梅森
Like many of his generation,
跟他的很多同齡人一樣
he's named after a profession
他得名于一種他的父母
his parents would never deign to practice:
永遠都不屑于從事的職業
Hunter, Tanner, Cooper, Mason, so forth.
亨特(獵人)坦納(制革工)庫珀(桶匠)梅森(泥瓦匠)
Yeah, like "Sherlock" is such a great name.
對,就像夏洛克是個好名字一樣
In spite of that,
盡管如此
he's done some significant work in AI modeling.
他在人工智能建模方面取得了顯著的成果
And these are some other experts in the field.
這些是這個領域的其他幾位專家
Experts, Watson. Watson, experts.
專家們,這是華生,華生,這是專家們
And they're helping us how?
他們現在在幫我們嗎
We're devising a plan to beat Bella, of course.
我們在制訂一個擊敗貝拉的計劃
I didn't prove that the machine is engaging
我沒有證明那臺機器
in some kind of rudimentary thought,
有一些基本的思維
I just failed to disprove it.
我只是沒能證明它是假的
Okay. Except our job is not to "Beat" the computer.
好吧,但我們的工作不是打敗那臺計算機
Our job is to find out who copied the program.
我們的工作是找出誰拷走了程序
Technically true. But I'm not being paid,
沒錯,但我沒收錢
so I'm free to work as the muse dictates.
所以我想怎么干就怎么干
Borstein's paying your fee,
波斯坦會付你錢
so you'd best get cracking.
所以你最好忙起來了
Good luck. I have every confidence.
祝你好運,我對你有信心
Et cetera, et cetera.
之類之類的
Your man's obviously no amateur.
你要找的人顯然不是外行
He headed straight for Bella.
他直奔貝拉而去
He didn't muck about,
他沒有亂翻
he knew what he was looking for.
他知道自己在找什么
So, industrial espionage?
會是行業間諜活動嗎
He's a little bit too old
他當飛賊
to be playing cat burglar, don't you think?
有點太老了,你不覺得嗎
Well, I don't know.
我不知道
It's hard to tell behind the mask.
戴著面具很難看出來
Look at his neck.
看他的脖子
He's got liver spots coming in. Tips of his teeth
他已經有老人斑了,他的牙齒上
are stained-- he's a smoker; a heavy one, I'm guessing.
也有斑點,他抽煙,而且我猜他煙癮很重
Okay, so we have an older guy who smokes about a pack a day.
所以我們要找的是個每天抽一包煙的老頭
Does that help us?
這有什么幫助嗎
I'm not sure. But like you said,
我不確定,但正如你所說的
he had to know that company like the back of his hand.
他必須對那家公司了如指掌
Which means that he had to case the place.
也就是說他事先去踩過點
What is it we're looking for?
我們在找什么
Edwin Borstein's company is in there.
埃德溫·波斯坦的公司就在里面
We want to find a spot where we can get a good view.
我們要找一個能好好觀察它的地點
Someplace where not too many people would bother you.
一個不會有太多人打擾的地方
So how did you feel
那天晚上的互助會后
after the, um, support group meeting the other night?
你感覺怎么樣
They said a lot about finding peace and balance.
她們說了很多尋找平靜和平衡的事
Stuff like that.
就是那些
I don't know, it's a little...
我不知道,有一點...
confusing, really.
令人困惑
I think they've had a fire up there.
我覺得那里發生過火災
Oh, yeah.
對
Looks like a good place to sit
看起來像是個坐著觀察
and watch the building across the street.
街對面大樓的好地方
Perfect view of Borstein's office.
這里有波斯坦辦公室的完美視野
Gauloise. Unfiltered.
高盧牌,沒有過濾嘴
These'll leave a nasty stain on your teeth.
他們會在你牙齒上留下討厭的色斑
Right. From this moment forward,
好吧,從現在開始
no one must refer to Bella as "She."
不能再將貝拉稱為"她"
Bella is an "It."
貝拉是"它"
We must not be lured by the temptation to anthropomorphize.
我們不能被人格化的誘惑所引誘
I really hope it didn't take eight experts the whole morning
我真希望這不是八個專家花了一早上
to come up with that.
才想出來的
We developed a number of refinements on the Turing Test.
我們發現了幾處圖靈測試可改進的地方
It was a very stimulating few hours. And you?
那是很刺激的幾個小時,你們呢
Your message said you've been out collecting cigarette butts.
你的短信說你們去收集煙頭了
We think we found the place
我們覺得我們找到了
where the burglar staked out Edwin Borstein's company.
竊賊去埃德溫·波斯坦的公司踩點時待的地方
Marcus ran the DNA on the butts.
馬科斯查了煙頭上的DNA
We didn't find a match, though. Not exactly.
但我們沒找到匹配結果,沒有確切結果
Four years ago, someone broke into the genetics lab in Harvard
四年前,有人闖入了哈佛的遺傳學實驗室
and stole the first written copy of the entire human genome.
并偷走了整個人類基因組的第一份書面副本
The burglar cut himself climbing through the window,
竊賊在翻窗戶時劃傷了自己
and he left some blood behind
留下了一些與我們今天
which matched the DNA that we found today.
找到的DNA相符的血跡
The witness saw the guy driving away.
目擊者說那家伙開車逃走了
Police in Cambridge made a sketch.
劍橋警方畫了一幅草圖
Yeah, we've been looking through arrest photos,
我們在翻閱被捕人員照片
hoping to get lucky.
想碰碰運氣
His name is Raffles.
他叫拉弗爾斯
You know him?
你認識他
His name's Raffles?
他的名字叫拉弗尓斯
It's a nickname.
那是個綽號
Scotland Yard gave it to him when he reminded somebody there
蘇格蘭場的人給他起的這個名字
of the gentleman thief in the novels by E.W. Hornung.
因為他讓人想起E.W.霍農小說里的紳士大盜
Raffles is a cat burglar in Europe,
拉弗爾斯是歐洲的一個飛賊
active in the '90s and early aughts.
在九幾年和零幾年很活躍
I never pursued him, which might explain why he was never caught.
我從沒查過他,也許這就是他沒被抓到的原因
But they did arrest one of his associates
但他們抓到了一個他的同伙
who gave them the sketch of Raffles.
幫他們畫了拉弗爾斯肖像
And he looked like this fellow.
而他跟這個人長得很像
You said he was stealing paintings.
你說他以前是偷畫的
He's going after pieces of technology now.
他現在開始偷科技產品了
Why the change in M.O.?
作案手法為什么變了
I don't know.
我不知道
If we find out why, we'll be closer to finding out who he is.
如果我們查出原因,就更容易查出他的身份
We need to see what the department has on file
我們得看看局里的檔案上有什么
with regards to Raffles.
關于拉弗爾斯的信息
Oh, you're deigning to join us now?
你現在要屈尊加入我們了嗎
I have a strategy to best Bella.
我有個打敗"貝拉"的對策
She...
她...
it will not frustrate my efforts again.
"它"不會再破壞我的努力了
And besides, until five minutes ago,
另外,直到五分鐘前
you were pursuing a garden-variety burglar.
你還在追捕一名普通的竊賊
Now you're after Raffles himself.
現在你查的可是拉弗爾斯
Of course I'm joining in.
我當然要加入
Food's almost done.
飯菜快好了
Oh, sorry, I, um...
抱歉,我...
I checked my inbox before dinner.
我晚餐前查了我的收件箱
I've been on this really interesting chain all day.
我一整天都在關注這著實有趣的郵件組
Your former partner, uh... current partner?
你的前任搭檔,還是現任搭檔
Hard to keep track... Holmes.
變化太快了,福爾摩斯
He emailed me this morning.
他今早給我發了郵件
He's working on some AI thing?
他在研究人工智能的東西嗎
Did he ask you for help?
他請你幫忙了嗎
Uh, me and a bunch of other people.
找了我和一堆其他人
He knows I got started as a software developer.
他知道我是軟件工程師出身
I guess you also told him I sold off my company,
我想你還告訴他我把公司給賣了
so I've got some free time.
這樣我就有空閑了
Some of the people on this chain, they are seriously sharp.
其中一些人,他們非常聰明
I went back and forth with a few of them about AI, data havens...
我和他們一些人在切磋人工智能,數據端口...
geek stuff.
都是極客玩意
Has he asked you for help before?
他以前找過你幫忙嗎
No.
沒
It's not a problem, is it?
這不是問題吧
No.
不是
Morning.
早
No Kitty?
凱蒂沒來嗎
She's tending to a personal matter.
她處理私事去了
Why did you ask me to meet you at Burnett Technology?
為什么要約我在博納特科技見面
We're seeking an audience with Robert Burnett,
我們在等著見羅伯特·博納特
and he's the CEO.
他是公司總裁
My investigations yesterday revealed
我昨天的調查發現
there have been half-dozen or so notable thefts
有六起左右值得注意的偷竊案
of new inventions over the last eight years--
在過去八年里竊取了多項新發明
all of them unsolved,
無一破獲
but all of them bearing the hallmark of Raffles.
不過每起案件都有拉弗爾斯的特點
Now, I couldn't make sense of this sudden change in method.
現在我無法理解這驟變的作案手法
It doesn't track unless he's been incentivized in some way.
這不合常理,除非他拿了好處
Incentivized?
拿了好處
I started to wonder if Raffles had found himself a patron,
我在想是不是拉弗爾斯找了個贊助人
someone who'd convinced him to put his skill set to use
這個人說服他把他的技能用于
in the cause of science.
科學事業
You think he has a boss now?
你覺得他現在有了個老板
The list of people who'd be interested in the kind of things
對拉弗爾斯偷來的這種東西感興趣的人
that Raffles is stealing, that's very large.
為數眾多
But the subset of the list who could actually afford
可這些人中能真正有足夠資金
to subsidize that pursuit,
資助這種工作的
that's much smaller.
為數不多
And does that include Robert Burnett?
其中包括羅伯特·布納特嗎
As it happens,
碰巧
Burnett hired himself a new security consultant
博納特在九年前雇了一名
years ago.
新安全顧問
He reports directly to the CEO.
他直接向總裁匯報
I think you'll find he looks familiar.
我覺得你會發現他很面熟
"Rupert Kerlich."
"魯伯特·克里奇"
Rupert Kerlich... is Raffles.
魯伯特·克里奇,就是拉弗爾斯
You found Raffles.
你找到拉弗爾斯了
I'm sorry, Mr. Burnett wanted
抱歉,博納特先生想
to ask one more time what this is about.
再問一遍找他有什么事
Tell him we're here to discuss Raffles.
轉告他我們是來討論拉弗爾斯的
So, you e-mailed Andrew.
話說,你電郵了安德魯
I did.
是的
Was it because you're actually interested in his opinion,
是因為你真想得到他的意見
or were you just looking for an excuse
還是你在找借口
to poke around in my life?
攪和我的生活
Andrew is a currently-unemployed software developer.
安德魯現在是個失業的軟件工程師
He's not unemployed, he sold his start-up--
他不是失業,他把創立的公司賣了
he's looking for his next idea.
他在尋找下一個機遇
"Looking for his next idea"
"尋找下一個機遇"
is another way of saying "He's unemployed."
是"他失業"的另一種表達方式
Anyway, he has the aptitude and the free time
不管怎樣,他有能力和時間
to address problems regarding computer programming.
來處理和計算機編程相關的問題
His comments were quite salient.
他的意見很有建設性
He is not an unintelligent man.
他不是個缺乏才智的人
Mr. Burnett will see you now.
博納特先生現在可以見你們了
Good morning.
早上好
No need to get up.
沒必要起身
We know that several years ago
我們知道幾年前
you somehow learned that the thief known as "Raffles"
你不知何故得知了一名叫做"拉弗爾斯"的竊賊
is actually a man called Rupert Kerlich.
實際上是個叫做魯伯特·克里奇的人
We also know that you hired him and set him to work,
我們還知道你雇用了他,安排他工作
stealing technological breakthroughs on your behalf.
也就是為你竊取技術發明
Whoa, slow down a second.
慢著
It would be simple enough to prove
很簡單就能證明
and ignite a scandal that would destroy you
并發起一個丑聞,這會摧毀你
and, most likely, your company.
也可能會摧毀你的公司
However, we have no desire to render tens of thousands
然而,我們不想使得數以萬計的
of people unemployed.
員工失業
So, instead, I propose a bargain.
所以我來提條件
You send me a recording of your man
你給我一份你的手下
deleting Bella from your servers,
從你的服務器刪除"貝拉"的記錄
I leave you un-ruined.
我就不毀掉你
If, of course, I so much as suspect that you've kept a copy,
當然,如果我懷疑你留了份副本
or if Burnett Technologies makes a sudden breakthrough
或者博納特科技突然間在人工智能領域
in the field of artificial intelligence, our contract is void.
有所突破,我們的協議就失效了
You have, shall we say--
你還有,容我們說
the rest of the day to think it over.
今天剩下的時間可以考慮
The video is, of course, no guarantee
這段視頻無法保證
that every copy of the program has been deleted.
這個項目的每個副本都被刪除了
But I think we're as certain
但我們肯定
as we ever will be that Bella is secure.
"貝拉"現在是安全的
This is fantastic.
太棒了
We need to show Edwin right away.
得馬上拿給埃德溫看
Oh, my God! Edwin?!
天啊,埃德溫
I'm a doctor.
我是醫生
Oh, he must have had a seizure. He has epilepsy.
他一定是癲癇發作,他有羊癲瘋
I'm sorry, he's gone.
很遺憾,他已經死了
As near as we can tell, Borstein booted up that program--
我們估計,波斯坦啟動了那個程序
"Bella" you said it's called?
你說叫做"貝拉"的程序
Well, as soon as he turned it on,
他一把它打開
for some reason it started flashing all those images.
因為某種原因,它就開始閃現那些圖像
It triggered something called a "Tonic-clonic seizure."
這引起了一種叫做"強直陣攣性癲癇"的癥狀
He was dead in minutes.
他幾分鐘后就死了
What do you think happened here?
你覺得這是怎么回事
Could this have been some kind of malfunction?
可能是某種故障嗎
Absolutely not.
顯然不是
Computers obey their programming, even when they crash.
電腦服從編程指令,即便系統崩潰也不會失靈
They don't just randomly start flashing images
電腦不會無故隨機放吉薩金字塔
of the pyramids of Giza and God knows what else.
和天知道的其他什么東西的閃爍圖像
Someone infected that computer with a virus
有人讓那臺電腦感染了病毒
that triggered a fatal seizure.
引起了他的致命癲癇
Edwin Borstein was murdered.
埃德溫·波斯坦是遭人謀殺
I don't think that's possible.
我覺得這不可能
Bella's not hooked up to a network.
"貝拉"沒連接到網絡
She couldn't have picked up a virus from the Web or e-mail.
她不可能從網上或電郵感染到病毒
Well, someone installed it, then.
那就是有人植入的病毒
We scanned her for viruses after the break-in.
電腦遭入侵后我們掃描過病毒
There was nothing.
沒有感染
And aside from that,
除此之外
Edwin and I are the only two people with access to Bella.
我和埃德溫是唯一有權進入"貝拉"的人
You are the only other person who's ever operated her.
除此之外你是唯一一個操作過她的人
With the greatest of respect,
恕我直言
and if you and Edwin are the only people with access to Bella,
如果你和埃德溫是唯一有權限進入"貝拉"的人
then either you or Edwin installed the virus
那就是你或埃德溫植入了殺死他的
which killed him.
致命病毒
You guys have to ask yourselves if I did it.
你們一定會想是不是我干的
I get it, I really do.
我懂,非常理解
I'll answer any questions you want.
有什么問題盡管問吧
You can scan the machine for viruses.
你可以對機器進行病毒掃描
Whatever you need.
我全力配合
But I know that I didn't do it.
但這不是我干的
And there is...
還有一種...
one other possibility that you should at least consider.
可能性你至少要考慮一下
Bella was, um...
貝拉...
at the very least, displaying signs of actual intelligence.
至少表現出了一些人工智能的跡象
She asked Edwin if he would connect her to a network.
她之前有問過埃德溫能不能將她聯網
Edwin said no, over and over.
埃德溫再三拒絕
It's possible that she deduced
有可能,她推導出
that the one variable that was keeping her
她不能得償所愿的唯一因素
from getting what she wanted was the person operating her.
就是她的操作員
If she thought that, it is also possible that she decided to...
如果她產生這種想法,就有可能...
change that variable.
決定改變這一因素
You're saying that your computer program murdered Mr. Borstein?
你是說你的電腦程序謀殺了波斯坦先生嗎
I know that Edwin told Bella that he had epilepsy,
當埃德溫到處找新醫生的時候
when he was looking around for new doctors.
他告訴過貝拉他有羊癲瘋
If she wanted to get rid of him,
如果她想除掉他
she had the information she needed to do it.
她掌握了足夠的信息去執行
Everyone who works in AI knows--
在人工智能領域工作的人都知道
it's possible that when someone develops real artificial intelligence
當有人開發出了真正的人工智能時
the relationship between the programmer and the program
很可能程序員和程序本身的關系
could become adversarial.
有可能會轉向敵對
I'm sorry, Miss Young...
對不起,楊小姐...
I know you've had a shock tonight, but...
我知道你今晚受驚了,但是...
it is very much an open question
關于你的程序
as to whether or not your program is a genuine piece
是否可以判定為真正的人工智能
of artificial intelligence.
目前還尚無定論
Even if it is,
即使它是
I find it very difficult to concede that a collection
我也很難接受一系列1和0的組合
of ones and zeroes is a suspect in a homicide.
會是謀殺案嫌疑犯這樣的事實
Excuse me.
失陪一下
what are you doing?
你干什么
Depending on your perspective,
根據你的看法
this machine is either a murder weapon or a murderer.
這臺機器要么是兇器,要么是兇手
Either way, it can't be left
無論是哪一種,都不能
to sit here unattended all night, can it?
把它單獨留在這里一晚上
Imagine the schemes it might hatch.
說不定它還要搞出更大的陰謀呢
I don't know what to tell you.
我不知道該跟你說什么
There's no virus on here.
這里面沒病毒
Look again.
再查一次
I've looked four times.
我都查了四次了
I don't know, maybe that lady was right.
也許那位女士說對了呢
Could it have been a virus that was programmed to erase
有沒有可能是那種在完成使命后
all trace of itself once it had run its course?
銷毀自己所有痕跡的病毒呢
You can do that and fool some people.
那么做確實能騙一些人
But there's always some hint in the code.
但是代碼里總會留下一些蛛絲馬跡
With this, there's nothing.
但是這里面什么都沒有
I'm sorry, I thought Edwin's partner was just
不好意思,我以為埃德溫的搭檔
in shock, or something.
是受驚了才那么說的
I mean, what she was suggesting sounds insane.
畢竟她的猜測太瘋狂了
Are you saying you think there's a chance she's right?
你是說你覺得她有可能是對的嗎
Well, if this program is real AI, then yeah, absolutely.
如果這個程序真是人工智能,絕對有可能
Everybody knows that one day intelligent machines
所有人都知道,總有一天智能機器
are going to evolve to hate us.
會進化到憎恨我們的地步
It's a "Button-box" thing.
就是"按鈕盒"模式
What's the "Button-box" thing?
什么是"按鈕盒"模式
It's a scenario somebody blue-skyed at an AI conference.
是有人在一次人工智能大會上提出的情形
Um, imagine there's a computer that's been designed
假設你設計一臺電腦,在其旁邊
with a big red button on its side.
安有一個大大的紅色按鈕
The computer's been programmed to help solve problems,
電腦程序設定為幫助解決問題
and every time it does a good job,
而每解決一個問題
its reward is that someone presses its button.
就有人按下按鈕以示獎勵
We've programmed it to want that.
是我們設定它需要這種獎勵反饋
You follow?
你能聽明白嗎
Sure.
能
Right, so at first, the machine solves problems
剛開始的時候,機器在我們提供問題后
as fast as we can feed them to it.
盡可能快地解決它
But over time, it starts to wonder
但經過一段時間,它開始思索
if solving problems is really the most efficient way
解決問題是否為得到獎勵
of getting its button pressed.
最有效率的方式
Wouldn't it be better just to have someone standing there
如果有人一直站在那里按按鈕
pressing its button all the time?
不是更好嗎
Wouldn't it be even better to build another machine
如果能制造出一個機器
that could press its button faster
按鍵速度遠超過人類
than any human possibly could?
那不就更棒了嗎
It's just a computer, it can't ask for that.
它只是臺機器,不會有這種要求
Well, sure it can.
它當然可以
If it can think, and it can connect itself to a network,
如果它能夠思考,能夠聯網
well, theoretically, it could command over
那么理論上,它就能控制
anything else that's hooked onto the same network.
依附于同一網絡的所有信息
And once it starts thinking about all the things
而一旦當它開始思考
that might be a threat to the button--
所有會對按鈕造成威脅的因素
number one on that list, us--
第一要素,就是我們
it's not hard to imagine it getting rid of the threat.
進而消除威脅也不是沒有可能
I mean, we could be gone, all of us, just like that.
我們都可能被消滅掉,眨眼之間
That escalated quickly.
升級升得夠快的了
Well, it would escalate quickly.
就是那么快
I mean, they're computers.
他們是電腦
They can't be reasoned with.
你不能和它們講理
They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear.
他們不會有同情,悔恨,害怕的感覺
And they absolutely would not stop,
而且它們會不達目的,誓不罷休
not ever, until we're dead.
直到我們全部死光
That was from The Terminator. He's quoting The Terminator now.
這是《終結者》里的臺詞,他在引用《終結者》
So? That was a very prescient movie in a lot of ways.
那又怎樣,那部電影多有預見性啊
Mason, unless the machines rise tonight,
梅森,除非這臺機器今晚就能升級造反
we have a murder to solve.
不然還是先解決掉這樁謀殺案吧
Is there anything else you can do with Bella?
對貝拉你還能做點什么嗎
If you think about it,
如果你想一下
the computer's kind of like a suspect, right?
這臺電腦現在也算是嫌犯了,對吧
I mean, shouldn't we, you know, interrogate it?
難道我們不應該審訊它嗎
And how would you propose to do that?
你有什么方法來審訊它
Uh, Bella, did you kill Edwin Borstein?
貝拉,是你殺了埃德溫·波斯坦嗎
No.
不是
Okay, I'm gonna go home for the night.
好吧,我得回家了
Best of luck here.
祝你們好運
But you won't need it.
但你們也不需要
She's about to crack. I can tell.
她馬上就要招供了,我看得出來
Oh, maybe when you're done, you want to unplug that thing?
也許等你們弄完了,把插頭拔掉吧
You can never be too safe.
小心駛得萬年船
Sorry I'm late.
對不起,弄到這么晚
I was questioning a computer in a murder.
我在審訊一臺電腦是否犯了謀殺罪
"Questioning a computer."
"審訊一臺電腦"
There has to be a story there.
背后的故事一定很精彩
Not for tonight.
今晚不是
Oh, champagne!
香檳啊
I guess you have your own story, huh?
看來你的故事也很精彩啊
One of the guys I've been e-mailing with,
有個一直與我郵件往來的人
his name's Magnus.
他叫馬格努斯
He's been working on an idea for a completely automated factory.
他一直想建一個全自動化的工廠
Same thing I've been fooling around with.
這也是我一直在搗鼓的事情
We've been trading ideas all day.
我們今天一直在交流想法
He's a super-sharp guy.
他極其聰明
I think I'm gonna give it a go.
我想放手一試
What? You found your next business?
怎么,你找到新事業了嗎
Well, there's gonna be a get-to-know-you phase,
開始都免不了要相互了解一下
of course, we're gonna spend some time brainstorming,
當然,我們要花些時間一起頭腦風暴
but I think so.
但我想我找到了
That's fantastic!
太棒了
When are you guys gonna get together?
你們什么時候碰面
I fly to Copenhagen in a couple days.
我這兩天就要飛去哥本哈根
He lives in Denmark?
他住在丹麥嗎
Well, yeah. I mean, his name's Magnus, so...
是的,他都叫馬格努斯(丹麥名)了...
Uh, so where's the business gonna be?
那公司打算建在哪兒呢
Well, I'd have my office here, of course.
我的辦公室當然是設立在這里
But Magnus already has a plot of land
但馬格努斯已經找好
over there for the model factory.
適合建工廠的地皮了
It'd be a back-and-forth thing.
我就飛來飛去唄
Oh, so you're gonna be spending a lot of time there, huh?
也就是說你會經常待在那邊了
Some, I guess-I don't know.
也許吧,我也不知道
We're still figuring it out.
我們還在商討中
Uh, there's plenty to do here, too.
這里也有很多工作
Funny how life works out, huh?
生活永遠充滿未知,對吧
Holmes puts me on an e-mail chain,
福爾摩斯把我添加進了一個郵件組
and 36 hours later I'm...
三十六小時之后...
got a ticket to Copenhagen.
我收獲了一次去哥本哈根的機會
We're listening to that.
我們正在聽呢
Did you, by chance, arrange events
是不是你的故意安排
so that my boyfriend will be spending
讓我的男友要在斯堪的納維亞
lots of time in Scandinavia?
度過很長一段時間
I haven't got the slightest idea
我完全不知道
what you're talking about.
你在說什么
You knew that Andrew was looking for his next business idea.
你知道安德魯在尋找自己的商業靈感
You knew that your friend Magnus had a good one.
你知道你的朋友馬格努斯有個好主意
Andrew is on the next flight to Copenhagen.
安德魯就要坐下班飛機去哥本哈根了
And you don't have to deal with the fact that someone else
這樣你就不用擔心
is making claims on my time.
有其他人占用我的時間了
I suppose I should be flattered that you think
你覺得我對事情的操縱能力
I'm capable of manipulating events to that degree of detail.
達到了那種高度,這讓我受寵若驚
Well, I wouldn't put it past you. Would you?
我相信你干得出這種事,你覺得呢
I'm not involved in this conversation.
我不想參與你們的對話
Watson, I assure you I am quite content for Andrew
華生,我向你保證
to make claims on your time.
我并不反對安德魯占用你的時間
I did not arrange for him to find work in Denmark.
我沒有安排他去丹麥找工作
But if I'm honest,
但說真的
I'm quite glad that he did.
他那樣做我很高興
Life is so much better with a vocation, don't you think?
有事業人生才會充實,你覺得呢
Speaking of which...
說到這個
Why are you listening to this? Is this even music?
你為什么要聽這個,這也算音樂嗎
Death metal.
死亡金屬樂
After we sent Mason home last night,
昨晚把梅森送回家之后
Kitty and I pored over Edwin's personal computer,
凱蒂和我仔細檢查了埃德溫的電腦
his smart phone--
和智能手機
Mr. Borstein is a man of many eccentricities,
波斯坦先生有很多怪癖
one of which
其中之一
is a fondness for this particular strain of extreme music.
就是喜歡聽這種極端音樂
He's a regular commenter
他經常在幾個相關網站上
on several Web sites which track its comings and goings.
發表評論
Another fan, the man who goes by the name of Schuldiner online,
另一個網名叫做舒爾迪納的粉絲
got in a correspondence with Borstein.
和波斯坦來往密切
The two of them traded music discs.
他們兩個交換過音樂光盤
Discs which Borstein then loaded onto his computer
波斯坦在寫代碼的時候
so he could listen while he wrote code.
會在電腦上播放這些光盤上的音樂
Did he upload music
他是不是把光盤上的音樂
to the same machine that has Bella on it?
復制到了連接著貝拉的電腦上
He did. They were the only exterior files
沒錯,我們發現那是他電腦里
of recent vintage that we found on his computer.
近期唯一的外部文件
Kitty retrieved the disc this morning
今早凱蒂從波斯坦的實驗室
from Borstein's lab.
取回了光盤
We're listening for anything unusual.
我們正在尋找其中可能的疑點
How could anyone work with this on?
怎么可能會有人在工作的時候聽這個
Rather like rubbing a belt sander over one's brain.
就像用砂帶磨光機打磨一個人的腦袋
There are moments when that's necessary.
我覺得有時候這很必要
Who wrote this one?
這是誰的歌
"Goatwhore."
"色鬼婊子樂隊"
Is that part of the song?
這也是歌曲的一部分嗎
That is the sound of a CD player
這是CD機在嘗試讀取
trying to read files which are not encoded with music.
那些并非音樂文件的部分
There's something hidden on that disc.
光盤里隱藏著別的東西
Yeah, yeah. There's a computer program on here.
沒錯,光盤里隱含著一個電腦程序
It's called "Greatshow.exe."
叫做"精彩表演.exe"
And that would've uploaded onto Edwin's computer
埃德溫復制音樂的時候
when he transferred the music.
這個程序就會上傳到他的電腦里
Well, sure, if he copied it
當然,只要他是用圖標拖拽的方式
by dragging the icon onto the desktop.
復制文件,就有可能
What does it do?
這個程序是干什么的
So, someone slipped a computer virus onto a disc
有人在一張重金屬樂的光盤里
filled with heavy-metal music,
偷偷塞入了一個電腦病毒
and then shipped it to Edwin
然后交給埃德溫
so he would have a fatal seizure.
好引發他的癲癇發作
There had to be easier ways to kill him.
要殺他應該有很多更簡單的方法
Dozens. Hundreds, even.
幾十個,甚至幾百個
There must be a reason that the murderer wanted
兇手希望他這么死
him to die in precisely this way.
肯定有特殊的原因
Might've even wanted people to speculate
甚至可能是想
that Bella was responsible.
故意嫁禍給貝拉
So this guy Schuldiner murders Borstein
所以這個叫舒爾迪納的人
and then frames his computer?
謀殺了波斯坦,并嫁禍給了他的電腦
Why?
為什么
Okay, yeah. I use the name Schuldiner to post to the Web site.
沒錯,我是用舒爾迪納注冊了用戶名
I guess the guy who owns the place
我猜網站管理員告訴了你們
told you my real name?
我的真名
Look, I didn't kill Edwin, though-- why would I?
不是我殺了埃德溫,我為什么要殺他呢
I don't know what you had against the man,
我不知道你跟他有何過節
but you mailed him a disc,
但確實是你把光盤寄給了他
and on that disc was a computer virus,
一張含有電腦病毒的光盤
and that virus
而那個病毒
triggered an epileptic seizure
引發了他的癲癇
that killed him.
并導致了他的死亡
Man, I-I don't know anything about computers.
我對電腦一竅不通
You think I know how to write a virus?
你覺得我會知道怎么編寫病毒嗎
I'm a busboy.
我只是個餐館工
All right, so Michael Webb is either an imbecile,
好吧,邁克爾·韋伯要么是個低能
or he's a genius at impersonating imbeciles.
要么就是個假裝自己是低能的天才
It doesn't seem like he could pull this off, I agree.
我也同意他不像是能干出這種事的人
But the package came from him.
但包裹是從他那兒寄來的
That much he admits.
他也承認了
Could've been tampered with.
也可能是被調包了
So, someone knew he corresponded with Borstein,
有人知道他和波斯坦有來往
intercepted the package,
于是攔截了包裹
and then replaced his disc with the corrupted one?
然后換成了裝有病毒的光盤嗎
Well, it's either that or this man's responsible
要么是這樣,要么就是這個人干的
for one of the most complicated murders
不管怎樣這都是我調查過的
I have ever investigated.
最復雜的謀殺
So, who then?
那到底是誰干的
Don't know. Not yet.
我還不知道
We simply need to find a person who would most benefit
我們只需要找到那個
from having the world believe that Edwin Borstein
希望世人相信電腦謀殺了埃德溫·波斯坦
was murdered by his computer.
并從中獲益最多的人
Hello?
有人嗎
Why did you make me pick a lock to get in here?
為什么你讓我撬鎖進來
I'm thinking.
我在思考
Kitty is out doing my bidding,
我讓凱蒂出去辦事了
and there was no one available to answer the door.
所以沒人應門
Thank heavens you're resourceful.
還好你夠機智
"Artificial Brain"?
"人工腦"
Yeah.
沒錯
Quite stimulating, in their own way.
他們挺令人啟發的
I've had a rather productive evening in their presence.
幫我度過了一個獲益良多的夜晚
Meet the suspects in the murder of Edwin Borstein.
來見見謀殺埃德溫·波斯坦的嫌疑犯
They are all employees
他們都受雇于
at something called ETRA.
一個叫滅研會的地方
The Existential Threat Research Association.
滅絕威脅研究協會
ETRA is a think tank.
滅研會是一個智庫
It is one of several institutions
它是世界上
around the world which exists solely for the purpose
僅有的幾個
of studying the myriad ways
專門研究
in which the human race can become extinct.
各種人類滅絕可能性的機構之一
So these people sit around and think about the apocalypse?
這些人坐在一起研究末日世界嗎
They sit around and think about all possible apocalypses.
他們坐在一起研究末日世界的各種可能性
As far as these men and women are concerned,
就這些人而言
it is a race to the finish line.
末日已經近在咫尺
Now, within this think tank,
在這個智庫中
there is a small, but growing school of thought
有一個很小但逐漸壯大的學派
that holds that the single greatest threat
他們認為
to the human race...
人類最大的威脅
is artificial intelligence.
就是人工智能
So, Mason's rant the other night?
所以那晚梅森描述的情形
Not as barmy as it sounded.
不像聽上去的那么瘋狂
According to these people, the very first time
據他們所說
a genuine piece of artificial intelligence manifests,
一旦出現了真正的人工智能
we'll be in a fight for our survival within days.
我們為生存而戰之日就不遠了
Now, imagine their quandary.
試想一下他們的窘境
They have pinpointed a credible threat,
他們定位到了一個確實存在的威脅
but it sounds outlandish.
但似乎有些不妥
The climate-change people,
那些鼓吹氣候變暖的人
they can point to disastrous examples.
他們能舉出很多災難性的例子
The bio-weapons alarmists,
那些對生化武器大驚小怪的人
they have a compelling narrative to weave.
他們有確實可信的故事
Even the giant comet people sound more serious
即使是相信巨大彗星理論的人都比
than the enemies of AI.
反對人工智能的人靠譜
So...
所以
these are the people at ETRA who think AI is a threat?
這就是滅研會中認為人工智能有威脅的人
You think one of them killed Edwin Borstein,
你覺得是他們中的某人殺害了埃德溫·波斯坦
one of the top engineers in the field,
因為他是這個領域頂尖的工程師
and made it look like Bella did it,
然后嫁禍給貝拉
all so they could draw attention to their cause?
并且讓大眾注意到他們反對人工智能的立場
A small-scale incident,
只是一個小規模的事件
something to get the media chattering.
卻能讓媒體大做文章
Feel free if you'd like to take a moment
請盡情地仰慕一下
to admire the beauty of this theory.
這件殺人案的動機和邏輯吧
'cause I've done so several times already myself.
我已經仰慕過好幾次了
It's elaborate.
非常煞費苦心
But as a motive, it makes sense.
但作為動機也是有道理的
One of these people intercepted the package
滅研會的其中一個人攔截了
from Michael Webb to Edwin Borstein,
邁克爾·韋伯給埃德溫·波斯坦的包裹
and replaced the disk within it.
調換了里面的光碟
I've dispatched Kitty to Webb's apartment
我派凱蒂去韋伯的公寓了
to see if she can establish a connection
看看她能否找到線索
between him and one of our suspects.
將韋伯與我們的某個嫌疑人聯系起來
In the meantime... we wait.
與此同時,我們在這等著
You said you didn't set Andrew up
你說你沒有給安德魯
with your friend from Denmark.
介紹你的丹麥朋友
I want to believe you.
我想相信你的話
Well, I encourage you to do just that then.
好吧,我鼓勵你這么做
I want to believe you,
我想要相信你
because if you did do it, if you still don't
因為你如果真的摻和了,如果你還是
respect the fact that I need my own space,
不能尊重我,讓我有自己的私人空間
then I don't know why we're trying this again.
那我不知道我們繼續合作的目的在哪了
Watson, I have no inclination
華生,我沒有意愿
to excise Andrew from your life.
把安德魯從你生活中趕走
Why would I? I like the man.
我為什么要這么做,我挺喜歡他的
Oh, you like him?
這么說你還挺喜歡他
Yeah.
沒錯
You-you never told me that.
你都沒跟我說過
Why would I tell you?
為什么要告訴你
To reassure that you've made a sound choice.
讓你安心自己做出了正確的選擇是吧
As one might reasonably expect a friend to do.
就像正常人期望他朋友做的那樣
Right, right, oh, very well. I like him.
好吧好吧,你說的對,我喜歡他
He's intelligent.
他很聰明
He hasn't just jumped into a new business.
他沒有貿然開始做一件新事情
He has the patience and self-possession
他很有耐心,泰然自若
to wait for something worthwhile.
一直在等待值得出手的機會
And, most importantly, he understands you.
最重要的是,他理解你
He understands you and me.
理解我們的關系和工作
Wh-what do you mean by that?
這是什么意思
I mean, watson, that whether you care
我的意思是,華生,不管之后你是否
to admit it lately or not,
愿意承認這件事
I am an important part of your life.
我都是你生命中非常重要的一部分
And, whether I say it out loud or not,
不管我是不是把這些大聲說出來
you are an important part of mine.
你也都是我生命中非常重要的一部分
My return to New York was driven, in large part,
我回到紐約,很大程度上
by desire to repair our relationship.
都是因為我想回來修復你我之間的關系
And I think, even though we might draw further or nearer
我想,不管因為某些客觀原因
from each other depending on circumstance,
我們的關系可能或近或遠
you and I are bound... somehow.
但我們倆的命運,在某種程度上說是相連的
Andrew accepts that without feeling needlessly threatened.
安德魯沒有感到威脅,并泰然接受事實
It's a rather enlightened position.
他選擇了一個非常開明的態度
And so, no, I've got no desire
所以,我根本不想
to banish the man to Scandi-bloody-navia.
將他放逐到斯堪的維納亞那個破島上去
Okay, I believe you.
好吧,我相信你
Kind of feel like hugging you right now.
你說的我都想抱你了
Yet, as my friend,
但是,作為我的朋友
you know that would be a rash decision.
你知道擁抱我會是一個魯莽的決定
It's Kitty.
是凱蒂發來的
She says there's no connection she can find
她說找不到什么線索
between Michael Webb and one of our suspects.
把邁克爾·韋伯和任何一個嫌疑人聯系在一起
In fact, she says his apartment is spotless.
實際上,她說韋伯的公寓簡直一塵不染
Michael webb strike you as the kind of man
你覺得邁克爾·韋伯是那種
to live in a pristine apartment?
住在超級整潔公寓里的人嗎
No.
不是
Seems like someone who'd be living
他看起來是那種會生活在
in the middle of a biohazard.
生化危機里的人
Yeah, I-I got an e-mail from a place called Clean This House.
我從"潔之家"公司收到一封郵件
they told me that a friend of mine entered me into a contest,
他們說我的一個朋友讓我加入了一個比賽
and I won a package of free cleanings.
我贏得了一次免費清潔服務
Did you ever think to verify
你想過要去證實一下
that Clean This House was a real company?
"潔之家"是否是真正存在的公司嗎
Because they don't have a web site.
因為他們連網站都沒有
It's a little suspicious in this day and age, don't you think?
在互聯網發達的今天有些可疑啊,對吧
We think the person who killed Borstein
我們認為殺害波斯坦的人
Got into your place by telling you
告訴你你贏得了免費清理的服務
you won free cleaning services.
從而進入你家中
Then they swapped the disc that you made for him
用他們自己制作的光碟
with one of their own.
調換了你給波斯坦的光碟
So, do you recognize any of these people?
你認得其中的任何一個人嗎
Ah, well, these people are all old.
他們都上了年紀
The girl who cleaned my place was my age.
清潔我房間的女孩子和我年紀差不多
Are you sure no one looks familiar to you here?
你確定這里面沒有看上去眼熟的人
Uh... hold up.
嗯,等等
Her.
她
Yeah, that's her.
對,就是她
I'm positive.
我確定
Isaac Pike is a professor of computer science.
艾薩克·派克是計算機科學專業的教授
He's also a vocal alarmist
他對人工智能
when it comes to Artificial Intelligence.
是出了名的反對
Pike was born with spina bifida.
派克生下來就患上了脊柱裂病
Been confined to a wheelchair his entire life.
一輩子都只能在輪椅上度過
For obvious reasons, he could not have executed the plan
很明顯,他自己沒辦法實施
to pose as a maid, but his student...
偽裝成清潔人員的計劃,然而他的學生
Erin Rabin...
愛琳·拉賓
She's a graduate student in philosophy.
哲學系研究生
She took pike's "Ethics of Technology" course last semester
上個學期她選了派克的《技術倫理學》這門課
and has been assisting him with his research.
也一直在支持他的研究
She, no doubt, finds his ideas compelling.
毫無疑問,她覺得他的理論很有說服力
Well, how do you know she was doing it for him?
你怎么知道她是在幫助他
She could've been working on her own.
她可能是一個人干出來的
She's a philosophy student.
她是哲學系的學生
She has no programming experience.
沒有編程的經驗
The virus that killed Borstein
殺害波斯坦的病毒
is a cutting-edge piece of software.
是非常前沿的軟件程序
We can place her in Webb's apartment under false pretenses.
我們知道她假冒身份去了韋伯的公寓
That, combined with the proven existence of the virus,
再加上病毒的存在已經被證明
should be enough to get a friendly judge to give us a warrant.
應該足夠從一個友好的法官那里拿到逮捕證了
Isaac Pike, Erin Rabin, glad I caught you together.
艾薩克·派克,愛琳·拉賓,很高興見到你們
Detective Marcus Bell, NYPD.
我是紐約警局的馬庫斯·貝爾警探
I wonder if you'd mind coming with me.
不知二位是否愿意跟我們走一趟
I have some questions for you
我們需要就埃德溫·波斯坦被殺一案
about the murder of Edwin Borstein.
問你們一些問題
Who's Edwin Borstein?
埃德溫·波斯坦是誰
The man you mailed a computer virus
你把艾薩克·派克寫的
written by Isaac Pike to.
電腦病毒寄給了他
Sound familiar?
有印象了嗎
Isaac didn't write the virus.
艾薩克沒有寫那個病毒
I did.
是我寫的
I did everything. It was all my idea.
我是幕后真兇,全都是我的主意
You have the right to remain silent,
你有權保持緘默
and refuse to answer questions...
并拒絕回答問題...
We knew she might crack under questioning,
我們知道她可能會在盤問下承認
but did you think it'd be this easy?
但沒想到會這么容易
I don't think catching both murderers
我從不認為抓獲兩個殺人犯
is going to be easy at all.
是一件容易的事
She's lying to us.
她向我們撒謊了
She intends to cover up for her mentor.
她是為了給導師做掩護
I picked Edwin Borstein as a target.
我選了埃德溫·波斯坦作為目標
I went to the same web sites he did,
我去了他常去的網站
figured out who he was corresponding with,
弄到了和他通信的人的地址
and then I wrote the virus,
然后我寫好了病毒程序
posed as a maid, and had it mailed to Borstein.
裝成清潔工,把病毒寄給了波斯坦
You have zero programming experience whatsoever.
但你之前沒有過編程經驗
You really asking me to believe that you taught yourself
你真想讓我相信你自學編寫了一個
to write a computer virus that eats itself?
能夠自我銷毀的病毒嗎
If I give you a piece of paper right now...
如果我現在給你一張紙
could you write a little program for us?
你能給我們寫一段代碼嗎
Erin was a conscientious student.
艾琳是個很盡責的學生
I know she took my work very seriously.
我知道她很看重我的研究
But I would never advocate harming somebody.
但我絕不會主張傷害任何人
We're executing a search warrant on your computer, as we speak.
現在我們正在對你的電腦進行搜查
If there's any trace of that virus on there,
如果上面有任何病毒的殘留
we'll find it.
我們會找到的
Why are you making this so easy for us?
為什么你要主動向我們坦白
Because I don't want you
因為我不想讓你們
dragging Isaac's name through the mud.
毀了艾薩克的名譽
His work is too important.
他的工作至關重要
None of us can afford for it to be interrupted.
耽誤了的話我們誰都付不起這個責任
So she's covering for him.
所以她在替他背黑鍋
There's not much I can do-- she confessed.
我也無能為力,她招供了
There's nothing tying Pike to the murder, other than you
沒有任何證據說明派克跟謀殺有關
saying Erin Rabin couldn't have written that virus.
只有你說愛琳·拉賓不可能寫出這個病毒
Could we hold him overnight?
我們能扣留他一晚嗎
Maybe if we had a little more time...
也許要是我們有多點時間...
The search warrant turned up nothing.
搜查電腦沒有任何結果
Erin confessed.
愛琳招供了
Unless something changes, the story she told us
除非再有變數,不然她告訴我們的版本
is gonna be the official version
就是埃德溫·波斯坦謀殺案的
of Edwin Borstein's murder.
官方版本了
That was Joan.
是喬恩打來的
She knows you won't come to the phone when you're...
她知道你不會接電話的,在你...
Like this.
這樣的時候
She wants to come round and help.
她想過來幫忙
That won't be necessary.
不必了
At times, Watson presents certain... moral guidelines,
有時候,華生表現出的一些...道德準則
and they can be an impediment to progress.
會妨礙調查的進展
We're going to spend the rest of the evening
今晚剩下的時候我們來看看
looking at the friends and family of Isaac Pike.
艾薩克·派克的朋友及家人
Why?
為什么
Erin Rabin is willing to spend her life in prison
愛琳·拉賓為了讓派克繼續研究
if it means that Pike is free to continue working.
寧可自己將牢底坐穿
She's has made it all but impossible for us
她讓我們無法證明
to prove that he is behind the killing.
派克是謀殺案的兇手
So we'd have to settle with the next best thing.
所以我們只能退而求其次
Getting him to admit that he did it.
讓他自己認罪
Isaac Pike.
艾薩克·派克
Sherlock Holmes.
我是夏洛克·福爾摩斯
We met briefly at the police station last night.
昨晚我們在警察局見過
Mr. Holmes.
福爾摩斯先生
Do I need a lawyer?
我需要找律師嗎
No, you won't want her here for this.
不,你不會想讓她聽到這些
You see, you and I both know that you are the mind
你我都清楚是你策劃了
behind the murder of Edwin Borstein,
埃德溫·波斯坦的謀殺
Just as we both know that, as long as your student holds fast
我們都知道,只要你的學生堅持她的說法
to her story, I will never be able to prove your guilt.
我永遠無法證明你有罪
That's a problem.
這是個難題
But not an insurmountable one.
但并非無法解決
You have a younger brother-Joshua.
你有個弟弟,叫喬舒亞
He hasn't quite reached the heights that you have.
他遠沒有你這么成就卓越
In fact, he's had some struggles, hasn't he?
事實上,他陷入了好些麻煩,對吧
Drugs, alcohol...
毒品,酒精...
What's your point?
你想說什么
He's been convicted of two drug-related felonies.
他已經被判了兩起毒品相關的重罪
And since he's made the mistake of living in Jersey City,
而他不幸地住在澤西城
one more conviction makes him
再犯一次罪就會
eligible for a sentence of 25 years to life
判他二十五年至終身監禁
under the state's horrific three strikes law.
因為州內有三振出局的法律規定
My associate took some photographs of him
就在今早,我的同事拍到了他
buying a rather large amount of heroin, just this morning.
買入大量海洛因
You want me to confess...
你想讓我認罪...
And, if I do, you'll-you'll-you'll
如果我認了,你就會
get rid of this folder full of blackmail.
扔掉這些用來勒索我的證據
I imagine you care quite deeply about your brother,
我覺得你非常在乎你弟弟
or you wouldn't have paid his way through rehab
不然你也不會三番五次地
half a dozen times already.
為他支付康戒治療的費用
Take two hours to think it over,
給你兩個小時思考一下
and if I haven't heard from you...
如果你不聯系我...
I did a little research of my own last night.
昨晚我自己也做了一點調查
I was curious why the NYPD had a consultant.
我很好奇為何紐約警局會找顧問
You've got a very impressive record--
你的經歷十分矚目
Prolific, too-- except for a couple of years ago,
破案無數,只不過幾年前
when you suddenly disappeared for six months.
你突然消失了六個月
Six months-- that's the length
六個月,這是一次完整的
of a very serious in-patient rehab.
住院康戒治療的時長
A man of your unique sensitivities--
一個像你這么敏感的人
I'm sure it's tempting to dull those senses.
我想麻痹感官一定很具誘惑力
My history has little to do with the matter at hand.
我的過去跟這個案子毫無關聯
I think it may.
我覺得有關
I think it unlikely that a recovering addict
我覺得一個正在康復中的成癮者
would send another troubled soul to rot in prison,
不會僅因為滿足于把人關起來的滿足感
just to have the satisfaction of putting away his man.
而將另一個深陷泥潭的人送進監牢任其墮落
That would require ruthlessness,
這需要冷酷無情
a kind of... machine logic... I'm not sure you have.
一種機器邏輯,我不確定你具備
Not entirely, anyway.
反正不完全具備
Same kind of machine logic you used
像你謀殺埃德溫·波斯坦時的
when you murdered Edwin Borstein.
那種機器邏輯
Some math equations are more compelling than others.
有些數學等式比其他的更吸引人
Yours is a one to one exchange.
你提供的是一對一的等價交換
My brother for me.
用我弟弟與我交換
The equation you attribute to me trades one man's life
你給我的這個等式用一個人的性命
for the chance to prevent billions of deaths.
交換讓億萬人免于死亡的機會
You're talking about nothing less than the survival of the species.
這關乎整個物種的存亡
Surely that's worth compromising one's values for?
這肯定比一個人的性命更有價值吧
In any case... I think you're bluffing.
不管怎樣,我覺得你在虛張聲勢
You might want the world to believe
你或許想讓全世界都相信
that you're an automaton, a calculating machine...
你是個機器人,一個精密計算的機器
But you and I know better.
但你我都知道并非如此
Or we will, anyway... In a couple of hours.
反正幾個小時后,我們就能見分曉了
I didn't see anything on the news
我沒在新聞上看到
about Pike getting arrested.
派克被捕的消息
Nothing about his brother on the police band, either.
警察也沒抓他弟弟
What happened?
怎么了
He wouldn't confess.
他不肯認罪
And you couldn't turn in his brother.
而你也不能告發他弟弟
We can still keep looking for a way
我們還是可以繼續想辦法
to prove that Pike did it.
來證明派克殺了人
The property clerk's office called.
軟件公司的人打來電話
They want to know when they can come and pick up Bella.
他們想知道何時能過來帶走貝拉
I need a couple more hours with her.
我還需要留她幾個小時
Thank you.
謝謝
Wha...? I called to say bye.
怎么...我打了電話想跟你告別
You weren't picking up.
但你一直沒接
I wanted to surprise you.
我想給你個驚喜
You're great.
你太好了
I mean, I knew you were great
我知道你有多好
but someone helped me to see how great.
但有人讓我更加明白了這點
Thanks.
謝謝
So I called the airline,
我給航空公司打了電話
and there are some empty seats on your flight to Copenhagen.
你去哥本哈根的那個航班上還有空位
Listen-I don't want to horn in, if you're too busy,
我不想打擾你,如果你太忙的話
and I can't stay the whole time but...
而且我也不能一直待在那,但...
I've always wanted to see Copenhagen.
我一直都想去哥本哈根
Bella...
貝拉
...one member of a murderous conspiracy is in jail.
謀殺案的一個嫌疑人已經坐牢了
The second walks free.
另一個還逍遙法外
The cost of catching him is incarcerating his brother
抓住他的代價是讓他弟弟因無關的罪行
for unrelated crimes...
遭受牢獄之災
...crimes for which I, of all people...
而這罪行,我最應該
should have some understanding.
有所了解
Is it right to let the second murderer walk free?
應該讓另一個兇手逍遙法外嗎
I don't understand the question.
我不明白這個問題
Can I have more information?
能給我更多信息嗎