Roberta's mad at me. Sweetheart, can you feel it?
羅伯塔在生我氣,親愛的,你感覺到了嗎?
I'm not mad.
我沒生氣
I just wonder, with only two days left,
我是認為現在只剩兩天了
this is the most optimal use of your time,
這應該是最理想的安排
especially since we're missing vital one-on-one interface
尤其我們錯過了在芬威走廊
with the swing voters at the Faneuil hall event...
與中間選民面對面的重要機會,
Roberta, plenty of time for all that.
羅伯塔,時間足夠
We'll just be here 20 minutes.
我們在這里只待20分鐘
Then we'll need to get you straight down
然后你要直接去港口
to the harbor for the EPA announcement,
參加美國環保署的公告發布
which will have crews from every local station.
所有當地電視臺都會到場
Cable news?
有線新聞?
Probably make tomorrow's "Globe" above the fold.
還能上明天"環球"的顯目位置
So 20 minutes, right?
那么就20分鐘,是嗎?
Yes. 20 minutes.
是的,20分鐘
You know, that's another thing. Who the hell is Alan Shore?
還有件事,這艾倫·肖爾究竟是誰?
Alan Hello, Samantha.
艾倫,你好,薩曼莎
Samantha Fleming Samantha Fleming, this is Tara Wilson.
這是塔拉·威爾遜
Hello. Pleasure.
很榮幸
Do you get any sleep at all?
你睡過會兒嗎?
Yes, about three hours a night.
晚上睡了3小時吧
20 minutes.
20分鐘
Jack, don't you think I should be part of the meeting?
杰克,難道我不參加會議?
No, Samantha and I will take this one alone.
不,就我和薩曼莎
Oh
哦
The accusations were shocking.
這些指控令人震驚
Money laundering,
洗黑錢
tax evasion,
逃稅
obstruction of justice...
妨礙司法公正
the verdict, guilty on all counts.
所有罪名,均被裁定成立
And now, believe it or not,
現在,無論你相信與否
Jack Fleming Jack Fleming wants to be our next mayor.
想要成為我們下任市長
Ask yourself, would you rather have a candidate with convictions,
所以請問問自己,是選一個有信念的候選人
or a candidate who's been convicted?
還是一個被定罪的候選人?
Paid for by the committee to re-elect mayor Thomas Snyder.
由托馬斯·斯奈德競選委員會錄制
In your defense,
拍個報復廣告
I suppose black and white makes us all look a bit like Moe Howard.
黑白片里我們都會像莫·霍華德
Well, it gets me ticked off every time I see the damn thing.
每次看到這種爛事我就生氣
And there's not a word of truth in it.
而且那全是在胡言亂語
But apparently, that doesn't matter.
可很顯然,這無關緊要
You know what? I've got three Harvard law professors
我有三個哈佛法學教授
and a former U.S. attorney on my campaign steering committee,
和一個前聯邦檢查官,在戰略籌備委員會里
all saying that there is no way
他們全都認為不可能
that I can get that ad yanked off the air, so...
讓這廣告就此消失,所以...
I doubt if you've got a silver bullet here, Al, no offense.
我很懷疑你會有什么妙計,AL,無意冒犯
Alan Non-taken
艾倫,我不介意
The ad is completely false.
這廣告根本是虛構的
Jack was never convicted of those charges.
杰克從沒被定過那些罪
It was a third-generation family real estate trust.
那是個牽涉三代人的不動產托管案
He was a passive beneficiary,
他只是被動受益人
a victim of a trustee whose greed got the trust prosecuted,
被那個貪婪的托管人牽連而已
not Jack personally.
不是Jack本人的錯
I know you can help us.
我相信你能幫到我們
You should feel flattered, Alan. Alan
你應該感到高興
My wife seems to hold you in very high esteem.
看來我妻子對你的評價很高
And I her.
我對她也一樣
As you know, in college,
你要知道在大學的時候
not a day went by that I didn't long to sleep with you.
我無時無刻不想跟你上床
I hope I'm not being inappropriate.
希望沒有太失禮
As a matter of fact, you are.
事實上你有
Then my apologies.
那我道歉
When you spoke about truth a moment ago,
剛剛你說的真相
I guess I mistook that as a preference for full disclosure.
我聽著倒像是事跡敗露
Uh, boys, we don't have time for this.
呃...沒時間了
Alan, I know it's gonna be tough to get an injunction on this thing...
艾倫,我知道申請法院禁令有難度
You've read the First amendment then.
看來你讀過第一修正案了
Three days ago, we had a double-digit lead.
三天前,我們還有兩位數的領先優勢
Then they put this thing on the air,
然后他們就散布這個
and our overnight polls dropped six points in 72 hours.
昨晚的民意調查顯示,我們的支持率72小時內就跌了6點
If we don't move fast, we're going to lose,
我們如果再不行動,就要輸了
all because of this late hit.
就因為這些攻擊
These lies.
這些謊言
Please help us.
幫幫我們
Let me see if I understand this.
我沒理解錯的話
In college, you longed to have sex with her. Yes.
大學時你就盼著跟她上床?是的
You ached to feel her naked body pressed up against yours.
你渴望她赤身裸體壓在你身上
Yes, well said.
嗯,說得不錯
And yet, nothing between the two of you ever happened.
但最后你們居然什么都沒發生?
We suffered from bad timing.
我們經歷了一段糟糕的時光
You're wondering if that's our destiny,
你有時會想,這就是命運吧
yours and mine 20 years of unrequited foreplay.
你的,我的,20年不求回報的前戲
Is that what you want?
那就是你想要的嗎?
Is that what you want?
那就是你想要的嗎?
Mr. Shore... Well, it just seems that our timing might also...
肖爾先生...我倆或許也能...
I saw you in the conference room with Jack Fleming.
我看到你和杰克·弗萊明在會議室
What were you two doing?
你倆在干什么
Tai chi, actually.
打太極
I hope it is clear to you
我希望你清楚
that it would be an unacceptable conflict of interest
你代理杰克·弗萊明的任何事宜
for you to represent Jack Fleming in any matter.
都將是不可容忍的利益沖突
This firm is extremely close to mayor Snyder.
這家公司和斯奈德市長親密無間
Then this firm should take a shower, don't you think?
所以公司更要跟他撇清關系,你說呢?
He is a callous, smug, and brutish man
他是個冷血,粗俗,自以為是的人
who hates the poor and abuses the powerless.
他憎惡窮人,欺凌弱勢
You're not following me.
你沒明白我的意思
We earn a great deal of money working for the city,
我們能在這座城市賺大錢
due primarily to mayor Snyder's goodwill.
完全仰仗斯奈德市長的支持
One would think that was obvious.
這是人人都該知道的
One would.
會知道的
Well...
好吧
now I have to take the case.
現在我必須接這案子了
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
Why did you just say that?
為什么這么說?
Well, isn't that how you guys usually begin a mental status examination,
你們檢查精神狀況時,不都是先試探對方
by determining if the subject knows his own name?
知不知道自己名字的嗎?
Well, yes.
沒錯
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
Got it.
知道了
And who am I, Mr. Crane?
那么我是誰呢?克蘭先生?
You are Dr. Thomas H. Lee, neurologist.
你是Dr. Thomas H. Lee,神經科醫生
Good.
很好
Can you tell me what day of the week this is? Monday,
能告訴我今天星期幾嗎?星期一
and a particularly crisp and beautiful one, too, I might add.
多說一句,還是個充滿活力又美麗的日子
Good. And who is the current president of the United states?
很好,那么現在的美國總統是誰
That would be Ernest Borgnine.
本該是歐尼斯·鮑基尼
I'll bet you get lunatics in here every day
我打賭在這里,你每天會都遇到瘋子
that say that stuff for real, right?
所以你的問題是認真的,對嗎?
The current president of the United states is George Walker Bush,
現任美國總統是喬治·沃克·布什
son to George Herbertwalker Bush,
父親是老布什
whose father was the late united states senator Prescott Bush,
而老布什的父親是從耶魯肄業的
who was an undergraduate at Yale,
已故參議員普雷斯科特·布什
once wrestled my father in the nude,
他跟我父親裸摔過
but that's a story for another day.
那是另外一個故事了
Let's stick to the issues at hand.
讓我們回到你手上的問題吧
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
Flight risk?
潛逃?
Your honor, my client can barely walk.
法官大人,我委托人走路都有困難
He weighs 300 pounds and suffers from acute rheumatoid arthritis.
他重300磅,還有急性風濕性關節炎
Plus, I think I got a touch of the gout, judge.
而且,我想我還得了痛風,法官
I ain't going nowhere.
我哪兒都去不了
He was moving at a pretty good clip when he left that jewelry store.
他當時行動自如的逃離了珠寶店
It was a one-time adrenaline rush.
這只是一時的腎上腺素在起作用
Your O.R. motion is denied, miss Colson.
自簽擔保申請駁回,科爾森女士
Bail set at $50,000.
保釋金5萬美元
We'll take 15, folks.
休庭15分鐘
In this way.
這邊走
You got a minute?
有空嗎?
Sure.
當然
I need a good lawyer.
我需要個好律師
You available?
你能接嗎?
Flattered. What's up?
受寵若驚,怎么回事?
Well, Marcie and I split up.
我跟Marcie準備離婚
Yeah, I was so sorry to hear that.
很遺憾
I can recommend somebody, Richard, but I don't do matrimonial work.
我可以推薦一個,理查德,我不打婚姻官司
No, no, I already found somebody for that part.
不,不,已經有人負責那部分了
There's something else.
還有些別的事
Five years ago, when my son was born,
5年前,我們的兒子出生時
we saved his umbilical cord blood.
我們保留了他的臍帶血
You mean in the delivery room?
你的意思是在產房?
Right. We got it stored in one of those cryo labs,
是的,我們把它保存在一個實驗室里
just in case Zachary
以防萬一扎卡里將來需要
ever needs to use it to treat a cancer he develops,
治療他可能得的癌癥
god forbid.
但愿不會
Welcome to parenting in the new millennium.
歡迎來到新世紀的育兒世界
Anyway, the account, it was opened in Marcie's name.
當初帳戶是以瑪西的名字開的
Which, at the time, I didn't think twice about.
當時我想都沒想
But now the lab is saying that makes her the responsible party,
但現在實驗室說只能對她負責
not the two of us jointly.
而不是我們兩個
She's refusing to release the cord blood.
她拒絕拿出臍帶血
She won't let it be used.
她拒絕使用
Your son is sick?
你兒子病了?
I'm sick.
我病了
Multiple myeloma.
多發性骨髓瘤
It was diagnosed six months ago.
6個月前確癥的
Oh, Richard, I...
天,理查德,我...
Chemo hasn't worked so far,
化療還沒有什么效果
and they're saying that I need a bone marrow transplant.
他們說我需要做骨髓移植
But they can't find a suitable donor.
但是找不到合適的捐贈人
And your son's cord blood would work instead?
而你兒子的臍帶血可以代替?
They think so.
他們這么認為
It's just sitting there in a freezer.
而它就這么被放在冰箱里
Just sitting.
就這么放著
Without it, they gave me six months.
沒有它,我只剩6個月
Maybe.
可能
You think I got a lawsuit?
你覺得我該起訴嗎?
Let's meet with her first,
讓我們先見見她
hope we don't have to file.
希望不需要起訴
Good. Okay.
好的
Thanks.
謝謝
And then what happened, Mr. Shrum?
那時發生了什么事,施勒姆先生
Well, when I couldn't get the pop tart out of the toaster,
我沒法從烤面包機里拿出pop tart
I unplugged it.
于是我拔掉插頭
And then I jammed a fork down the slot,
然后我往槽里塞進一把叉子
and I guess I must've jiggered it around pretty good, because the...
當時位置一定插得很好,因為...
Can you give us a moment, please?
請稍等片刻
Mark, what did I tell you about volunteering extraneous information?
馬克,我是怎么說的?關于額外信息的提供
Not to. Right.
只字不提,對
This is a deposition.
對方在取證
You answer the questions truthfully,
所以你的回答應該真實
but never volunteer anything,
但別毫無保留
so don't add stuff like "jiggering forks around pretty good."
所以別再多說,“把叉子位置插得很好”之類的話
Just answer every question with as few words as possible.
用最少的詞回答每個問題
Got it.
我懂了
Sorry.
對不起
All right, Mr. Shrum,
好的,施勒姆先生
when you repeatedly manipulated the fork around in the toaster slot
當你不停用叉子插,面包機槽的時候
and then received an electrical shock and second-degree burns,
你遭到了一陣電擊,并被2級燒傷
whose fault would you say that was?
你覺得是誰的錯?
Mine?
我?
Uh, I can't answer any shorter. That was one word.
我沒法回答得更短了,已經是一個字了
Denny...
丹尼...
We really do need to talk.
我們需要好好談談了
The partners are concerned.
合伙人都很擔心
About what? Well, your billables,
關于什么?你的能力
do you realize that so far this year you have only billed 1400 hours,
你意識到沒有,今年你的收費時間,至今只有1400小時
which is 200 hours less than you had billed up to this point in calendar '03,
比你03年同期整整少了200小時
which was, as you know, a year that saw a marked decline.
如果按整年推算,那將是一個明顯的下滑
Breakfast?
早飯?
I already ate.
我已經吃過了
In short, Denny, you are coming in light by about $700,000 a year,
簡單地說,丹尼,你的薪水每年至少70萬美元
which means that, since calendar '99 alone,
也就是說單從99年算起
you have cost us $3.5 million.
你已經花了我們350萬美元
You ever forget things?
你會忘記一些事情嗎?
Things like what?
什么樣的事?
I don't know, people's names, where you put the car keys,
比如,某人的名字,車鑰匙在哪
whether or not you showered,
是不是洗過澡了
what a case you're arguing is all about.
自己正爭論的東西是關于什么
Not really.
沒有
Well, you should get it looked at, just the same.
那你也要注意一下
You could have what is called mild cognitive impairment.
你可能會有輕微認知損害
It's a precursor to Alzheimer's.
老年癡呆的前兆
Denny, you are theoretically our foremost rainmaker, Denny
理論上你是我們,最棒的"招雨巫師"
but you haven't brought in a new seven-figure client in two years.
但你已經2年沒帶回7位數的顧客了
You haven't filed a class action in five years.
5年沒有共同起訴的案子了
Care to guess how much Lisby, Derucie & Floren
猜一下Lisby Derucie,以及Floren
billed as lead counsel in the tobacco class action?
在煙草案的共同起訴里賺了多少
$127 million.
1億2千7百萬
It's raining cashout there, Denny.
這才是真正的現金雨,丹尼
We're not getting wet.
但這點雨水根本不夠
You could do crossword puzzles.
你可以玩字謎游戲
Excuse me?
什么?
It's a great brain stimulator. So is learning new skills.
這對大腦有強烈刺激,學習新技能也一樣
You know what else helps?
你知道還有什么方法嗎?
Speaking from time to time in a foreign language.
時不時講點外語
What are you... doing?
你在...干嗎?
Researching a case citation.
研究一個案例的引用
Have you ever used a computer before?
你以前用過電腦嗎?
An entirely new experience.
全新體驗
Bottom line, your honor,
我們的底線,法官閣下
if Mr. Fleming feels aggrieved by the way he's portrayed
如果弗萊明先生對我委托人的競選策略
in my client's campaign commercials,
如他所描述的那樣不滿
then let him counter it with commercials of his own.
他可以進行同樣的反擊
As justice Brandeis said,
就如布蘭代斯法官說過的
"the best antidote to false speech is more speech."
對付謠言最好的辦法,就是更多的言論
It's not surprising Brandeis would say that.
布蘭代斯會說這些不奇怪
He was a well-known drunk and pedophile.
他是眾所周知的醉鬼和戀童癖
No, he wasn't.
不,他不是
That's right. He wasn't.
你說得對,他不是
I made it up.
我編的
Does anyone have a problem with me making provably false accusations
有沒有會人介意,我這樣蓄意誣蔑
about honorable people, just so my side can win?
可敬之人并以此來謀求勝利?
Because that's certainly their strategy.
這顯然就是他們的戰術
He's amazing.
他太棒了
Yes, we're quite fond of him.
是的,我們都很愛他
Mr. Shore is asking that you impose prior restraint on speech
肖爾先生要求您使用言論限制條款
and not just any speech, but the robust dialogue of a political contest.
針對的還不是普通言論,而是一場政治競賽中的有力對話
We don't do that in this country.
這個國家不會這么做的
If they took a song from the Beatles catalogue
如果你拿了一首甲殼蟲樂隊的歌
and used it in a campaign commercial without permission,
并在未經允許的情況下,用于競選廣告
would you order the commercial off the air? Of course you would.
你會叫停這段廣告嗎?你當然會!
It's an absurd analogy, your honor.
法官大人,這是荒謬的比喻
What if they ran a campaign commercial
那如果他們的競選廣告里有
with footage of this lovely young woman right here showering,
這位可愛女士的洗澡鏡頭
footage secretly taken with a lipstic camera
用的是針孔攝像頭
mounted in her health club locker room?
就安裝在健身俱樂部里呢?
This is ridiculous. The point is,
這太可笑了,關鍵是
in all of those cases,
在這些事中
we absolutely would see injunctive relief granted
我們可以看到禁制令的作用
because those are rights worth protecting.
因為有些權力值得我們去維護
And so is the right of Jack Fleming
而杰克·弗萊明同樣也應擁有
to have the truth told about his life.
說出自己生活真相的權力
But how do we determine the truth, your honor?
但我們如何能界定真相,閣下?
Would Mr. Shore have us establish a government department of veracity?
肖爾先生會要求設立,一個政府部門來衡量嗎?
Mr. Fleming already has a remedy available.
弗萊明先生已經找到了補救措施
It's called the slander suit. I'm curious.
一起誹謗起訴,我很想知道
When one wins a slander suit, does the court award votes?
當贏得誹謗案后,法庭會獎勵選票嗎?
Because that's the issue here.
因為這才是關鍵
They're trying to cost him the election now
他們策劃讓他在,現在的選舉中損失慘重
even if they have to pay him a few dollars years from now.
即使以后要賠他些錢,那是幾年后
Well,
好吧
this has been fascinating, gentlemen,
這看起來越來越有趣了,先生們
kinda like debate night at mensa.
有點兒像mensa的爭辯之夜了,
Mr. Gelman, that TV spot you're defending is emphatically vile. Mr. Gelman
你維護的那段視頻,是極其卑劣的
But, Mr. Shore, he's right.
但是肖爾先生,他是對的
Political speech is not subject to prior judicial review.
政治講演無需接受法司法審查
And thank the lord, or that's all I'd ever do.
感謝上帝,否則光這項就夠我忙了
We're adjourned.
休庭
Well, that was discouraging.
看來有些喪氣
It was.
是這樣
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
You tried.
你已經盡力了
What now?
現在怎么辦?
I'm gonna recommend we do a gang-bang
我建議跟他們大干一場
sit down with the four local anchormen.
邀請4個本地的節目主持人
And obviously, you by Jack's side,
顯然,你會出現在Jack身邊
doing the whole "stand by your man" thing.
表現出全力支持你的丈夫
Very important when accusations go to character like this,
訴訟變成現在這樣將是關鍵時刻
we answer every question, dominate the airwaves.
我們回答每個問題,主導輿論走向
The message? Our guy is a superior piece of manpower.
散播消息?我們的人可是個中高手
Feedback? Sounds good.
意下如何?聽起來不錯
That copacetic on your end? Mm, sure.
你滿意嗎?當然
Copacetic on my end, too.
我也全身心的滿意啊
Your end?
你感覺到了嗎?
Got it.
知道了
Be right back with your coffee.
你的咖啡馬上來
Thank you.
謝謝
Well, we're very grateful that you agreed to meet with us.
很感謝您肯見我們
Did I have a choice? You were pretty insistent on the phone.
我有得選嗎?你在電話里那么堅持
Sorry, it's just a situation of some urgency,
抱歉,因為事情比較急
and I know you've said you didn't want to retain counsel,
我知道你說不想請律師
but I would respectfully suggest... We've spent enough on lawyers.
但我仍想建議...我們在律師身上浪費得夠多了
We had a five-star divorce, didn't we, Richard?
我們有個"五星級"離婚,對吧,Richard
Look, I have to pick up Zach from a play date, so...
我要去扎克的朋友那接他,所以??
Well, what I came to say is simple, Marcie.
好吧,我長話短說,瑪西
I'm sick, and I need your help.
我病了,我需要你的幫助
I can't let you use Zach's cord blood.
我不能讓你用扎克的臍帶血
I told you that when you called.
電話里我已經說過了
What if he gets sick and needs it himself?
萬一以后他病了也要用怎么辦?
We saved it for a reason.
我們當初也是為此才保存的
Marcie, I can certainly understand your feelings, but perhaps...
瑪西,我能體會你的感受,但可能..
do you have children, miss Colson?
你有孩子嗎,科爾森女士?
No.
沒有
You want to protect Zach,
你想保護扎克
and I understand that.
我能夠理解
But how about protecting him from losing his father?
那是否也要保護他,免受喪父之痛呢?
He's not gonna lose you.
他不會失去你的
You're strong. You'll beat this.
你很強壯,你會戰勝病魔的
This isn't some simple transfusion we're talking about.
我們不是在說一般的輸血
They need an exact match, and they can't find one.
這需要嚴格的吻合,但他們找不到
They've tried, Marcie. Don't you get it?
他們已經盡力了,瑪西,你明白嗎?
Well, they should keep trying.
那么,他們應該繼續嘗試
But I'm running out of time!
但是我已經沒時間了
Please don't yell at me.
別對我大聲叫嚷
I'm sorry.
對不起
I was thinking on the way over here,
來這的路上我一直在想
uh, about the day Zach was born,
扎克出生的那天
and holding him and feeling as if I was part of some great continuum.
我抱著他,似乎是我生命的延續
Feeling as if...
感覺就像是...
it's stupid, but...
這很蠢,但是...
feeling as if I had thrown my DNA forward into the future, you know?
感覺就像把我的DNA,拋向了未來,你明白嗎?
Like some biological javelin.
就像生物學中的標槍投擲
He's my flesh and blood, Marcie.
他是我的骨肉,瑪西
I would never do anything to put him at risk.
我絕不會讓他冒任何風險
I've read all the literature.
我已經看過相關資料了
I mean, the chances of Zach ever needing to use this are about 1 in 2,700.
扎克會用到的可能性是二千七百分之一
But I need it now...
但是我現在就需要它...
to live.
才能活下去
I am his flesh and blood, too, Marcie.
我也是他的骨與血,瑪西
Please, don't ask me about this again.
請不要再提這事了
Either of you.
你倆都是
It's okay.
會好起來的
I understand you provided representation to Jack Fleming after all,
我聽你還是成了杰克·弗萊明的代理人
contrary to my explicit instructions.
完全違背我明確的指示
I did.
是的
But please understand,
但請你諒解
ordinarily, I place great value on all things explicit.
通常我對所有明確的事都很看重
Is it your feeling that Denny Crane will protect you from me?
你是不是覺得丹尼·克蘭會保護你?
It is.
正是如此
To the extent that he recalls who I am.
從某種意義上說,他讓我找回了自己
Well, perhaps it will jog his memory
哦,他可能會記起你
when I devote a large portion of next month's senior partners' meeting
當我下個月在高級合伙人會議中
to a discussion of your situation here.
重點討論你的去留問題
Miss Wilson
威爾遜女士
Was that man threatening you again?
他又威脅你了?
Yes. It seems to be his job description.
是的,似乎這也是他的工作職責
CNN said the election was too close to call.
CNN報道說選舉跟庭訊太靠近了
Fleming is up two points, but it's within the margin of error.
弗萊明還領先2個點,但這仍在誤差幅度內
I think that's what I'll call my autobiography.
所以我會把自傳命名為
"Within the margin of error."
“徘徊在誤差內”
Will I be in it?
里面會有我嗎?
It depends on who ghosts it. I'll certainly lobby on your behalf.
這取決于是誰執筆了,我會替你爭取的
Well...
這樣...
I'll expect a chapter... minimum.
我會期待有整整一章 至少
Well, I would imagine you could earn a chapter quite easily...
我想你的事能輕易地塞滿一章
I was wondering if you could help me with this product liability issue...
你能否幫幫我,關于這個產品責任案
Never mind.
不好意思
No, please, I'm all yours.
別走,我是你的了
Hardly.
未必
Ever used a computer?
用過電腦嗎?
Denny!
丹尼!
Um... yes. Yes, I have.
是,是的,我用過
Remarkable machine.
不可思議的機器
Let me ask you a question.
問你個問題
A manufacturer of toasters should anticipate
烤面包機生產商是否該預計到
that their written safety instructions will be ignored
所寫的安全提示會被忽略
to the extent that they're counter intuitive
某種程度上這是非直覺性的
and should plan for that contingency, right?
因此他們也該對此負責,對嗎?
In an ideal world.
在理想世界里
What are you doing here?
你在這里干什么?
I was afraid you'd hang up if I tried calling you.
我怕打電話的話你會掛掉
Can we talk?
我們能談談嗎
I have nothing else to say.
我沒有什么要說的
I think I know your secret.
我想我知道你的秘密
It was only one time.
只是一次
Richard and I just had a huge fight.
理查德和我大吵了一架
I went to spend the weekend at my sister's,
我去妹妹那里過周末
and there was a guy there, this houseguest of hers.
正好有個男生來她家過夜
We were all drinking wine,
我們都喝了酒
and suddenly he and I were alone.
然后突然間我們都感到很寂寞
And it just happened.
于是就發生了
I agonized about whether or not to have the baby.
我還為要不要這個孩子煩惱過
And in retrospect, I can't imagine not, you know?
回想起來我簡直無法想象,如果當初選擇不要,你理解嗎?
But I promised myself that Richard would never, ever find out.
我自己發過誓,理查德永遠也不會知道
You can't tell him.
你不能告訴他
You should tell him.
你應該告訴他
He deserves to know, especially now.
他應該知道,尤其是現在
No, now would be the worst time.
不,現在更加不能
Being Zach's father, it's what he lives for.
他現在只為做扎克的父親而活
If you don't tell him, I will.
如果你不說的話,我會告訴他
I'm his attorney. I have an obligation.
我是他的律師,我有這個義務
Just tell him I won't release the cord blood.
你只要告訴他,我不會同意提供臍帶血
Tell him to keep trying to find a match.
讓他繼續尋找合適的配型
He needs to keep trying.
他不能放棄
If Zachary's blood could save him, of course, I would let him have it.
如果扎克里的血能救他,我當然愿意給他
And it tears me apart that I can't tell him that, but I can't.
隱瞞真相讓我痛苦萬分,但是我實在不能告訴他
How did you figure it out?
你怎么會知道的?
Occupational hazard.
職業病
I watch people's eyes.
我能看穿人的眼神
When Richard was telling you how he felt the day Zach was born...
理查德在說扎克出生時的感受...
Promise me you won't tell him.
答應我別告訴他
I have an obligation.
我職責所在
Samantha
薩瑪莎
You're wet.
你濕透了
It's raining.
外面在下雨
He's screwing her.
他在跟她上床
That media consultant Roberta...
那個媒體顧問羅伯塔
She left a detailed message on his cell phone.
她在他手機上留了很詳細的訊息
Didn't know I was borrowing it.
她不知道我正好借用了
Come in and get dry.
進來擦擦干吧
Buy me a drink?
請我喝一杯
Maybe if he had done it with somebody extraordinary.
哪怕他跟其他更出眾的人上床
Roberta, she's... Roberta
她...
she's just so...
她是那種...
sufficient.
夠勁
I'm sorry.
對不起
It's fine. This is my regular place.
沒什么,我常來
I bring crying women here all the time.
每次都帶哭泣的女人來這里
Oh, really?
真的?
Well...
這個...
I guess I'm that cliche?
我是不是太老套了
the credulous political wife,
一個輕信的政客夫人
cheated on, humiliated,
被欺騙,被羞辱
didn't see it coming.
卻一直沒有發現
I have to do that interview with him tomorrow.
我明天還得和他一起接受采訪
Stand by my man.
支持我的男人
He doesn't know that I know.
他不知道我已經知道了
What do I do?
我現在怎么做?
What do you want?
你想要怎么樣?
I want out.
我要退出
Guess I am out.
我猜我出局了
Guess I've been out.
或早就出局了
I do want him to win the election.
我真希望他能贏得這次選舉
I do. He'd be a great mayor.
真的,他會是個偉大的市長
He really does care about people.
他真的關心他人
As long as they're strangers to him.
只要還不是他的親人
You really don't like him.
你不是普通的討厭他
Is that why you made that joke in your conference room, when...
所以你在會議室,開那樣的玩笑,當...
When I said not a day in college went by
在大學時
that I didn't long to sleep with you?
無時無刻不想和你上床?
Yeah.
是的
It wasn't a joke.
這不是玩笑
I had a place all picked out back then,
我安排好了一個地方
a motel out on route 9,
9號州際公路上的一家旅館
the Aloha inn.
Aloha旅館,
I thought you might appreciate the tropical ambience.
我想你會喜歡熱帶風情
I'm imagining a lot of rattan and plastic orchids.
我想到了很多藤條和塑料蘭花
There's a neon signout front that blinks
旅館前閃爍著霓虹燈
"Aloha" in orange,
“Aloha”是橙色的
then "inn" in pink,
而“inn”是粉色的
then the hula girl's skirt in green,
綠色的夏威夷草裙
over and over and over.
這里,那里,到處都是
It sounds lush.
聽起來似乎很舒服
And all night long,
整個晚上
the rooms are flooded with the glow of that neon.
房間充滿了那氖燈柔和的光線
And I always wondered how you would look naked in all that...
我經常會想在那樣的環境,你不穿衣服是怎樣的?
pink, green, and orange.
粉色,綠色,橙色
Hi. Hi.
嗨,嗨
You okay?
你還好吧?
I'm gonna see if the candidate can squeeze me in for a moment.
我去看看候選人能否擠點時間給我
Moment of your time?
可以占用幾分鐘嗎?
Are you joking? We're about to start.
你在開玩笑?我們就要開始了
It's a pressing matter.
事情緊迫
Perhaps we could duck in there.
可以就在那里談一下
You've got 30 seconds.
你有30秒
Then I'd better jump right in.
那我必須開門見山了
Do you have a favorite movie about politics?
有喜歡的政治片嗎?
Mine is "The candidate."
我喜歡的是“候選人”
Okay, we're done here. I still have 20 seconds left.
好了,談話結束,-我還剩20秒
I especially like that scene
我尤其喜歡那段
after Redford wins the election when he asks his top advisor,
Redford贏得選舉后問他的首席參謀
"Marvin, what do we do now?"
“Marvin,現在該怎么辦?”
Goodbye, Mr. Shore.
再見,Mr. Shore
You're a married man, Jack, Jack
你是個有家室的男人
having a furtive sexual relationship with your media consultant,
卻跟媒體顧問亂搞
which begs the question,
這樣就引出了這個問題
"Marvin, what do we do now?"
“Marvin,現在該怎么辦?”
Of course, your name isn't Marvin,
當然,你不叫馬文
and Redford had already won.
而Redford已經贏得選舉
You, on the other hand, could still lose
你卻未必,也可能輸
if anything unpleasant were to come up.
如果有什么不光彩的事浮出水面
And does she know?
她知道了嗎?
Use her name.
請稱呼她的名字
Does Samantha know?
薩曼莎知道了嗎?
Samantha knows.
薩曼莎知道了
This is a memorandum of agreement.
這是離婚協議
By all means, read it when you have a free moment.
抽空時候你可以看一下
But I'll need your signature right now, I'm afraid.
但現在我就要你的簽字
So, here are the headlines,
大意是
Samantha will do your little dog and pony showout there,
薩曼莎會在那陪你一起做秀
and all other events with you from now through the inauguration,
也會出席所有活動,從現在到就職典禮為止
should you be lucky enough to have one.
如果你命夠好,有的話
She, of course, smiling at all times, exactly like pat Nixon.
她會如帕特·尼克松那樣,始終帶著微笑
And in return, after the divorce,
作為回報,離婚后
she gets a meaningful role in every high-level appointment
她的意見將舉足輕重,包括你任期內每個高層的任命
and major policy initiative during your first term.
以及主要政策的制定
She put you here. She's earned it.
她成就了你,這是應得的
I would never, ever give her that.
她永遠也不要妄想這個
Do you understand?
明白了嗎?
Perfectly.
完全明白
So, then, we'll handle this transaction in the only currency
那只剩一條路可走了
that's really available to us.
不過對我們倒是很有利
Samantha gets the house in Nantucket,
薩曼莎將得到楠塔基特島的房子
75% of all funds in the various bank accounts
所有銀行帳戶內的百分之七十五
as of close of business yesterday,
結算到昨天為止
the mutual funds in their entirety,
全部的共有基金
and 60% of all other assets as determined by the forensic accountants
和其他由法務會計師,所估算財產的百分之六十
that we will hire, and you will pay for.
我們會請一個,錢也是你來出
Oh.
哦
Be sure to date it on the bottom there.
記得在最底下寫上日期
You can't lie to a client.
你不能對客戶撒謊
I know. I told her.
我知道,我也對她說了
It's just, the news will crush him, Paul.
只是這個消息會擊垮他的,保羅
And to what end? What good will have been done?
結果呢?會有什么好處嗎?
He will have been dealt with truthfully by his attorney.
他的律師對他誠摯以待
That's the good. I know all the law school arguments.
這就是好處,我知道所有法學院里的論點
Let's talk real world here.
讓我們來面對這個現實世界
Okay. Real world? OK
現實世界?
If I learned that an attorney in this firm knowingly told a lie to a client,
如果我知道這間公司有律師,故意對客戶說謊
a lie central to the matter the client had retained us to handle,
還關系到客戶委托我們處理的事務
I would personally report it to the ethics committee of the state bar,
我將親自向州律師工會,道德委員會舉報
regardless of whatever respect or affection
重視也好,交情也罷
I might feel for the attorney in question.
我都會對這樣的律師產生懷疑
Oh, I'm sorry.
哦,不好意思
I was just leaving.
我正要走
Hey. Hi.
嘿,嗨
And thanks for seeing me on such short notice.
突然拜訪,謝謝你能見我
I, I know I could have just faxed this over,
我,我知道可以傳真過來
but I wanted to massage some of the language with you.
但我想和你討論一些用詞
Clearly, you're gonna be a better judge
你是最好的鑒定人選
Richard on whether the arguments here are too inflammatory,
理查德,看看這段論述會不會太煽情
which is the obvious pitfall of filing appellate papers against your ex-wife.
針對前妻的上訴書中,哪里有明顯的缺陷
Richard, listen.
理查德,聽著
I'll just shut up and let you read it. I'm sorry.
抱歉,我閉上嘴,你先讀一下
Look, there's something I need to tell you.
我有些事情要告訴你
And I don't know how to begin.
但真的難以啟齒
You said my client was here, Markhrum?
你說我有客戶在這里,Markhrum?
He was here. Mr. Crane came out to get him.
他剛在這兒,克蘭先生帶他進去了
Denny got him?
丹尼帶他進去了?
I don't understand how Marcie could do this.
我不懂瑪西怎么能這樣做
She feels deeply ashamed.
她也感到非常的遺憾
But the priority now has to be finding you a suitable donor.
但目前最要緊的是找到,合適你的捐獻者
But how could Marcie destroy the cord blood?
但瑪西怎么能毀了臍帶血呢
It wasn't intentional.
不是有意的
She was having it transferred last week from one lab to another.
上周她想把它轉去另一個實驗室
I guess she wanted to hide it from you.
我猜她是想把它藏起來
There was a shipping glitch.
可運輸時發生了故障
It went 36 hours without being refrigerated.
它脫離了冰凍狀態36個小時
She was devastated.
她也深受打擊
I talked to Denny Crane. He's a trustee of Boston General.
我跟丹尼·克蘭談過了,他是波士頓將軍的托管人
He's having their chief of oncology call you tomorrow.
明天他們的腫瘤學專家會聯絡你
Thank you.
謝謝
That's very kind.
非常感謝
They'll find you a match. I know they will.
他們會替你找的合適的,我知道他們一定會
You're gonna get through this.
你會熬過來的
Let's hope.
希望吧
Editors of Times called it obnoxious.
時代的編輯們認為這令人反感
This refusal of mayer Snyder to agree to debate his challenger.
斯奈德市長拒絕了對手的辯論要求
Of course, there was one joint campaign appearance,
當然兩位候選人也曾聯訣登場
the two candidates sharing the same stage
同時站在一個舞臺上
at one point several weeks ago
在幾個星期前
when the Snyder camp called a debate...
斯奈德提出辯論要求...
Feels good, doesn't it?
感覺不錯,對吧?
What feels good?
什么感覺不錯?
Having sex with the candidate. What if he wins?
和候選人上床,如果他贏了呢...
I bet the orgasms are even better if he wins.
我打賭你就會覺得更興奮的
I'm jealous.
真讓人妒嫉
And we're ready to make a call in the race for mayor of Boston.
現在我們要揭曉波士頓市長的,競選結果了
Okay, everybody, this is it!
好的,大家,要來了
Based on exit polling,
根據投票結果
we are now projecting that mayor Thomas Snyder
我們要說,市長托馬斯·斯奈德
has lost his bid...
輸了
Let's go.
我們走
He'll want you downstairs in the ballroom
他希望你到樓下宴會廳里
basking in the adulation, part of the deal.
享受阿諛奉承,交易的一部分
New deal.
有新交易了
This is where I get off.
這里就是我退出的地方
Coming?
一起?
But one thing we do know tonight,
今晚我們能肯定的是
the Thomas Snyder era is coming to an end.
托馬斯·斯奈德的時代即將結束
And Boston's new mayor will be Jack Fleming.
新任波士頓市長將是杰克·弗萊明
Stan Forrester is standing by
斯坦·福雷斯特正在
at the Fleming victory party at the Hyatt
凱悅弗萊明的慶功會上為您報道
where a very happy crowd is
那里充滿歡樂的人群
waiting for the mayor-elect and his wife
正等待著下任市長和市長夫人
to make their way down to the ballroom.
步入宴會廳
Can you hear me, Stan?
你能聽到嗎,斯坦?
Denny
丹尼
I'm worried about you.
我很擔心你
You're speaking French to the messengers,
你對送信的人說法語
you got crossword puzzles spread out all over the conference table,
你在會議桌上攤滿字謎游戲
you walk into reception,
你走到接待處
hijack one of Sally Heep's clients,
攔劫了薩莉·黑普的客戶
actually have a meeting with him in your office.
還在自己的辦公室里和他談
Did you even know what his case was about?
你對他的案子哪怕知道一點兒嗎?
I took that test the other day,
我做了那個測試
the one where they ask you a bunch of questions
有個人會問你很多問題
to see if you've turned into an imbecile,
來判斷你有沒有變癡呆
and they do a scan of your brain. You know what they found out?
他們還會掃描你的大腦,你猜他們發現了什么?
That I have a lot of blue and yellow and red stuff colliding up there.
無數紅藍黃色的東西纏在一起
The damn MRI photo looks like a hurricane.
那MRI照片看起來就像龍卷風,
I don't remember what was the good color
我記不清哪種顏色代表是好的
and what was the bad color, but the point is this.
哪種顏色是不好的,但是關鍵是
They discovered that I remember some things
他們發現我記得一些事情
and I forget others.
卻忘記了其他的
And that's the way it's gonna be.
事情將是這樣的
You wanna know what that man's case is all about?
你想知道那男人的案子?
He stuck a fork in a toaster.
他將一把叉子插進烤面包機里
It's a little pissant lawsuit.
是個雞毛蒜皮的小案
But I remember what you said the other day.
但是我記得你曾經說的
What was that?
說過什么?
Seriously, Paul,
我是認真的,保羅
you have to have that test.
你也該去做那個測試
You said that we weren't filing enough class-action suits,
你說我們沒有足夠的共同起訴案
that we were missing out on a gold shower.
那樣我們就淋不夠"金雨"
I, I believe I said a money shower.
我,我相信我說的是"錢雨"
When I heard the fact pattern of the Sally Heep case,
當我聽說Sally Heep的案子
I was able to persuade Mr. Shrum
我成功的讓施勒姆先生相信
that there was a greater good to be achieved.
這將是大大的有利可圖
And long story short, happily,
而且,簡單點說
the toaster company was open to my argument.
烤面包機公司也接受了我的觀點
What argument?
什么觀點
That an attorney...
一個律師
like Denny Crane with extensive class action experience
像丹尼·克蘭這樣,有豐富從業經驗的律師
could easily turn Mr. Shrum's case into a lucrative opportunity.
可以輕松地把施勒姆先生的案子變成賺大錢的機會
On the other hand,
可相反
if they were to give Denny Crane their ongoing legal business,
如果他們把手上的法律事務,交給丹尼·克蘭
augmenting the fine work done by the in-house counsel,
讓公司法律顧問的工作錦上添花
then Denny Crane would be unavailable
那丹尼·克蘭就無法
to represent Mr. Shrum who, incidentally,
代表施勒姆先生,隨便提一下
is going to receive $50,000 from the company as a goodwill gesture.
他將從公司得到5萬美元慰問金
So don't you worry too much, Paul,
所以,別太杞人憂天了,保羅
about Denny Crane.
瞎擔心丹尼·克蘭
And I also wanna say to my wife Samantha,
我還想告訴我的妻子薩曼莎
who unfortunately could not be here tonight,
很遺憾她今天不能來這里
she's a little under the weather.
她有點不舒服
Samantha, I love you,
薩曼莎,我愛你
and I wish you could be right up here beside me right now.
我多希望此時此刻你就在我身邊
We love her, right?
我們都愛她,對不對?
That's right. Sure we do.
是的,當然
Okay.
好了
Thank you all. God bless you, Boston.
感謝你們大家,上帝保佑波士頓
You did the right thing.
你得很對
Yes, I did.
是的
I lied to him.
我騙了他
Lori
洛里
you realize you have exposed this firm
你有沒有意識到,你會使這家公司
to a potentially enormous liability award
面臨巨大的潛在責任
and imposed on me certain excruciating ethical obligations?
也會讓我深受道德規范的困擾?
You'll do the right thing, too.
你也會做出正確選擇的
At last....
終于...
my love has come along
我的愛人已出現
my lonely days are over
孤獨的日子已經結束
and life is like a song
生活如歌
Ooh....
哦...
At last
終于
the skies above are blue
天空成為藍色
my heart was wrapped in clover
心中充滿了幸運
We should have done this much sooner.
我們早就該這么做了
Let's do it again.
讓我們再做一次