Previously on Boston Legal
前情提要
Hi, I'm Brad chase from D.C. Hi.
你好,我是Brad Chase,華盛頓來的
I think that's my seat.
我想這是我的座位
I'm sorry. We're not territorial about that sort of thing around here, are we?
抱歉,我們來這不是為了爭這點東西吧?
I was handling it. I just thought I'd help out.
這件事我正在處理,我只想幫幫忙
That's very nice, but again, I was handling it.
真是紳士,不過,再說一遍,我在處理
So why does it bother you that I'm trying to help?
那你是不滿我的幫忙咯?
Wait a minute. You two have had sex. We can't tail the wife.
等等 你們兩上過床啦,我們不能跟蹤他妻子
Ernie dell is one of our biggest clients.
Ernie Dell是我們最大的客戶之一
If he wants a private investigator, what's the real harm?
如果他想找私人偵探,有何不妥?
I'm the one sleeping with his wife. I'm sorry? Sure.
跟他妻子上床的是我,什么?嗯,他視我為笑柄
He makes fun of me. but I'm a big fan of your aqua velva commercials.
但我挺欣賞你的繞口令表演
No, it's not right. He calls me a Ken doll, while he...
這不公平,他叫我肯娃娃,而他...
plays with your barbie?
跟你的芭比娃娃玩?
Completely mindful of the fact that you helped build this place,
讓我清楚的記得,你也對創建這個地方功不可沒
the partners here will not allow you to dismantle it with your buffoonery.
合伙人決不容許,你的無稽行為毀了這個地方
They're not going to take the firm from you.
他們不會把公司從你身邊奪走的
I'm not worried, Lori. Do I look worried?
我根本不擔心,Lori,我看起來像在擔心嗎?
Look out there. My domain. My city.
看看那里,我的領土,我的城市
I'm Denny crane. You have 30 minutes.
我是Denny Crane,探視時間30分鐘
I have to say, I find this very strange.
我得說,這樣真奇怪
I always thought I'd be the one visiting you in the mental hospital.
我總覺得應該我到精神病院探視你
I'm excited about tomorrow. Please tell me we have a shot.
我很期待明天,拜托你說我們有把握
I don't know how much longer I can take it in here.
我不知道我還能在這里撐多久
We have a shot. I'll get you out.
我們有把握,我會讓你出去的
I don't need to hear it, Alan. I need it to happen.
我不要空話,我要事實
The board will question you directly.
委員會將當面向你提問
It's entirely possible they'll try to provoke you.
他們完全有可能試圖激怒你
To make sure I'm bombproof?
試探我是否"尥蹶子"?
Sorry? It's an expression with horses.
什么?用來形容馬的
To be safe to ride, a horse needs to be bombproof.
馬匹必須能保持冷靜騎手才安全
It doesn't spook easily.
沒那么容易受到驚嚇
Can't have one who just flies off.
不會變成脫韁野馬
Yes, in addition to not flying off, you need to show contrition.
是的,為了防止掙脫韁繩,你必須變現出懺悔
They like to see that you're sorry.
他們想要看到,你后悔了
I am. I, I am so sorry, so deep, deeply ashamed.
我是,我非常后悔,非常,非常慚愧
How do I say it right? Just like that.
怎么表達才行?就像這樣
Christine, you were in love with a man who was unworthy of you,
Christine,你愛上了一個配不上你的男人
who made you doubt everything that you had a right to count on,
他讓你懷疑自己應得的一切
who perhaps even toyed with your sanity.
甚至可能擾亂了你的心智
Still no excuse for trying to kill him.
這依然不成為殺他的理由
Perhaps he had it coming. Perhaps you did.
也許是他自找的,也許你確實是
Why is it we agreed to bifurcate the trial?
為什么我們要同意分開審判?
There's been no claim for punitive damage, only compensatory,
雖然只有補償性要求,還沒有懲罰性要求
but our fear was a jury could be so outraged,
但是我們害怕陪審團會氣過頭
they might artificially inflate compensatories as a de facto puni,
可能會增加賠償金,從而形成變相的懲罰金
so we opted to bifurcate.
所以我們選擇分開審判
Separate juries, one for liability, one for damages. The client concurred.
分開陪審團,一個做債務一個做賠償金,客戶也一樣
Do you do tongue push-ups? This is a staff meeting.
你的舌頭做過俯臥撐嗎?這是工作會議
I encourage all to conduct themselves professionally,
我希望每個人都表現出專業性
keeping in mind that remarks are tantamount to assertive conduct.
要知道主觀評價極為武斷
Lansing vs. Mahoney...
Lansing對Mahoney一案...
Hospital settled out, deposition of Dr. Mahoney is today,
醫患糾紛,Dr.Mahoney案今天庭外取證
we're hoping to make some movement on that as well. Lot of eyes are on us.
我們希望取得進展,很多雙眼睛盯著我們
We've got an HMO on the bubble here waiting to see how this lawsuit is restored.
一個衛生維護組織就在這里,等著看這場官司怎么解決
I assume you've prepared for today's deposition.
我想你已經準備好今天的訊問了
Actually, Denny's taking it. Denny's taking the deposition? Yes.
事實上,是Denny在負責,Denny在負責這次庭外取證?是的
Wouldn't it be better to save Denny for trial,
留著Denny庭審時出現不是更好?
roll out the big gun later? Roll out the big gun now,
最后再使出殺手锏,現在就用
this won't be a trial. Move along, Paul. In re Christine polley... Mine.
就用不著上庭了,下一個案子,Paul,關于Christine Polley,歸我
Ex-girlfriend tried to kill me. This is the commitment proceeding?
試圖殺我的前女友,是認罪程序嗎?
She was committed. This hearing is to secure her release.
她已經認罪了,這次聽證會是要保她出來
Wait a second. She tried to kill you. She did. And now she wants out.
等等,她試圖殺了你,的確,現在她想出來
She does. And you're trying to help her get out. I am.
是的,而你要幫她出來,正是
You're angry with me. I'm just busy, okay?
你在生我的氣,我只是很忙,可以嗎?
I'm not gonna even discuss the absurdity of representing an ex-lover who tried to kill you,
先不論你替企圖殺了自己的,前女友辯護有多荒謬
but how do you not at least tell me?
但是你至少也要告訴我
That isn't something that I should know?
難道我不應該知道這件事情嗎?
I wanted to surprise you with it. Do you think it's funny?
我想給你個驚喜,你覺得很有趣嗎?
Do you think it's appropriate for me to learn about it in a staff meeting?
你覺得公平嗎,在例會上我才知道
Forgive me. As you can imagine, I haven't kept up with...
抱歉,你該知道我不懂怎樣維護
the boyfriend/girlfriend regulations. What I can say is she's a client, and a friend...
"戀人關系",我只能說,她是一個客戶和朋友
that I'm trying to free from the clutches of an overreaching asylum.
我盡力想把她從瘋人院中解救出來
You keep calling it an asylum. This is a psychiatric hospital.
你一直說這里是瘋人院,這里是精神病治療醫院
I mean no disrespect, doctor, but the word "hospital" implies treatment.
無意冒犯,醫生,但是醫院意味著治療
And she has gotten treatment. Is she less crazy? Excuse me?
而她也得到了治療,她瘋的少點了嗎?什么?
As a result of your treatment, is she less crazy?
做為治療的結果,她是否不太瘋了?
Crazy is not a medically recognized term, Mr. Shore.
瘋不是被認可的醫學名詞,Mr.Shore
As I've just explained, Christine has what the DSM refers to as intermittent explosive disorder.
正如我剛才解釋的,Christine罹患了DSM規定的,間歇爆發性行為紊亂癥
Then please tell us. is she less intermittently explosive?
那請你告訴我們,她有沒有亂的少一點?
She has improved. And to what do you attribute that?
有改善,您認為這歸功于...?
Primarily the pharmacological regimen. Pills.
首要原因是藥物攝取,藥片
25 milligrams each of three different anti-psychotics administered three times daily.
三種安定藥,每種各25毫克,每天服用三次
Then maybe it's a good thing she's here.
那也許她留在這里是件好事了
That sounds like a very complicated protocol to administer on one's own.
聽起來這種藥物服用方法,對于病人來說過于復雜
Indeed. How do you know she actually takes these pills?
確實,你怎么知道她確實服下這些藥物?
Obviously, we keep very careful records. I'm sure you do.
當然,我們每天都有仔細記錄,我想也是
But hypothetically, suppose there was a patient who felt she didn't belong here,
但是假設,有個病人認為自己并不應屬于這里
felt that she'd entered your hospital quite troubled,
覺得雖然因為惹了麻煩才進院
but essentially sane, and was being driven insane by this institution.
但精神完全正常,反而要被這家機構逼瘋了
Maybe she's a New York university graduate,
也許她一個畢業于紐約大學
a respected attorney, a charming, intelligent, sensitive, funny woman.
受人尊敬的律師,一個充滿魅力,聰明,感性,風趣的女子
A fully functional person with the exception of one incident.
一個完全正常僅有一次失誤的女子
So each and every time your orderlies come around
所以每次你們的護理員來
with your 75 milligrams of powerful anti-psychotics for her to swallow,
讓她服下75毫克的強力安定藥片
she hides the tablets under her tongue and saves them.
每次她都藏在了舌下,留了下來
Day after day, a growing collection of thoroughly unnecessary medication
日復一日,積攢起一堆沒用的藥
that her primary psychiatric caregiver wants to shove down her throat.
而她的首要精神看護專家想要逼她把這些吞下去
Are you asking if this hypothetical scenario could happen? I am.
你是問這些假設會否發生?是的
It could not. We keep very careful records.
不會,我們有嚴格的記錄
Look, I don't see why I need to be present.
我不明白為什么我要在場
A part of her emotional distress claim goes to how you informed her of her husband's death.
對方宣稱她的悲痛主要是來自你宣布她丈夫死訊的方式
I've been a surgeon for 30 years.
我做了30多年的外科醫生
If there's a pleasant way to tell a family a patient died...
如果有愉快的方式可以通知家屬...
we're gonna need your response to her account.
我們需要你對她的指控作出回應
We're in conference room one. We'll be right in. Thank you.
一號會議室,我們馬上就到,謝謝
Don't look at him.
別看他
Why can't I just review the transcript? I really don't want to sit in that room.
為什么我不能看證詞抄本,我真不想坐在那個屋里
We don't need you to do or say anything.
你不用說話,不用做任何事情
We just need you to sit there and listen.
只要你坐在那里,聽就行了
Brad, one second, please. Yeah Excuse me. Yeah.
Brad,請過來一下,抱歉
You can't let him first-chair this deposition.
你不能讓他負責這次庭外取證
Paul, he's insisting. First of all, the case could turn on this proceeding,
這是他堅持的,首先,這次訊問事關案子成敗
and second, as I mentioned, we have several medical corporations, potential clients,
其次,正如我提到的,有幾個醫藥公司,潛在的客戶
taking a keen interest... Hey. Guys. What are we talking about?
在強烈關注...嘿,伙計們,在說什么呢?
Looks interesting from afar. Anything I might enjoy?
遠處看到就覺得有意思,有什么好玩的?
What's this case about, Denny?
這件案子講什么的,Denny?
The deposition you're about to conduct, what's it about again?
你要去主持訊問的案子,是說什么的?
A man died during angioplasty, leaving him dead, tragic.
一個男人在血管重建手術中去世,就這么死去了,一場悲劇
He even described the procedure as common, so for...
他只是很平常的向我描述手術過程
one of your allegations goes to how Dr. Mahoney informed you of the tragic outcome.
你的指控之一是Mahoney醫生向你傳達死訊的方式
He just came out and said my husband had a cardiac arrest and was dead.
他只是走出來對我說,我丈夫心臟停止跳動,死了
He just turned and walked away.
然后轉身走開
But he said he was going to talk to me later.
但他說過晚點會跟我談談
Do you make room for the possibility that dr. Mahoney himself was devastated at this time?
你有沒想過這種可能,Mahoney醫生也正被失敗感折磨?
The patient was my husband. Whatever pain he had...
病人是我的丈夫,無論他感到多么痛苦
these are difficult questions. You're, um...
這些問題讓人不太好受,你,嗯
40 pounds lighter since before your husband's death? Yes.
比丈夫去世前瘦了有40磅?是的
Dating again? Objection. This certainly has no relevance.
開始約會了?反對,問題與本案無關
All objections have been waived till the trial, except for the form of the question, sport.
在庭審前所有反對都是無效的,除了特定形式問題,伙計
This your first deposition? This is not my first deposition.
第一次庭外取證?當然不是第一次
Well, then play by the rules. Don't make me move for costs, which she'll end up paying.
那就照規矩來,別讓我解釋太多,這些費用,最終都要她來付的
In this last year, would you say
在最近一年當中,能否說明
you've had more or less sex since the time of your husband's...
你的性生活是增是減,自從你丈夫...
Objection! All right, this is a tough deposition for everybody.
反對,冷靜一下,這個過程對誰都很難
Let's just try to get through it. Denny.
大家努力克服完成它好嗎? Denny
More or less sex this past year?
這一年來性生活是多還是少了?
My physical relationship with my husband had waned,
我跟我丈夫的身體接觸變少
partly because of his heart condition.
部分原因是他的心臟狀況
We remained very much in love.
我們仍然深愛對方
And did you go on lots of trips together, you and your husband?
你們是否經出一起外出旅行?
Some. He was very busy with work.
有一些,他總是忙于工作
Did he regularly tell you how incredibly...
他有否經常告訴,你有多么
incredibly beautiful you are?
難以置信的美麗?
Did you wear this perfume when your husband was alive?
你丈夫在世時你也用這款香水嗎?
I believe I did. That's magnificent.
我想是的,香味迷人
All right. This deposition is over. Why?
好了,取證到此為止,為什么?
It's over. Come on, Carrie.
結束了,我們走,Carrie
Off to court we go, Cub scout.
今天離開那就法庭再見了,童子軍
Oh, we'll be going into court, all right. We're done here.
哦,我們肯定要法庭見的,這里結束了
The fact that she was secretly refusing to take her medication
事實上她一直暗中拒絕服用藥物
does not persuade us of progress.
并不能說明她有好轉
But it does show she's capable of going six months unmedicated without incident.
但足以說明她在六個月內不服藥物也不會引起麻煩
Mr. Shore, you were her lover.
Mr. Shore,你曾是她的愛人
Any bias I might have in favor of Christine would be more than offset by the fact that she tried to kill me.
我對Christine任何的立場偏頗都可被她試圖殺我的事實抵消
Frankly, we're insulted by that. It might get you a spot on
坦白講,我們對此感到氣憤,也許這能讓你上
"Good morning America," but... I'm trying to get her a spot of freedom.
《早安美國》但是,我只想為她爭取些自由
Freedom is a privilege, Mr. Shore, not a right.
自由是一種特權,Mr. Shore,不是權利
A privilege? Yes, and it's revocable, especially if you try to run someone over with an automobile.
特權,是的,是可以取消的,尤其是當你試圖開車撞死別人時
Christine polley is well.
Christine Polley是健康的
You have an affidavit from three independent psychiatrists who evaluated her.
你有三位獨立精神專家的評估證明
Likely made her sign waivers as soon as you paid them.
他們在你付錢之后,馬上就會要她簽署撤銷書
The only reason you're holding her is you're afraid of being sued should she do something.
你們監禁她的唯一理由是怕她出去后給你們惹上官司
We're afraid she'll hurt herself or someone else, you cynical snot.
我們怕她出去傷害自己或別人,你這個憤青賤人
Is liability to the hospital a factor? Yes.
醫院責任是一個因素,當然
We can't treat patients out of bankruptcy.
我們不能因為病人而破產
I hardly see how that makes me a snot.
我不明白為什么我成賤人了
She's in here because of one isolated incident she's not likely to repeat.
她在這里,因為一個永遠不會重犯的錯誤
Oh, you can gaze into some crystal ball... I can gaze into her.
噢,你可以盯著水晶球預言說...我可以盯著她的眼睛
I saw the look in her eyes the day she was brought here.
我看到過她被帶來那天的眼神
I saw the look in her eyes which led to her being brought here.
導致她被帶進此處的眼神
She had that look then. She does not have it now.
那時候她有,但是現在沒有了
Who would be this woman's guardian? Why is no one here to present...
誰將是這位女士的監護人?為什么沒人出席?
Her parents would serve as guardians.
她的父母將做為監護人
You'll find their affidavits. They live in Illinois.
你可以找到他們的保證書,他們住在Illinois州
Where Christine would be going upon release. And until she gets to Illinois?
Christine一經釋放就會到那里,在她到達Illinois州之前?
Until then, I will be her guardian. Ms. Polley?
在那之前,我將是她的監護人,Ms. Polley?
Well, at the risk of also sounding biased, I agree with him.
雖然有偏見之嫌,我同意他的看法
This is not a parole board. This is not a prison.
這不是假釋委員會,這里也不是監獄
As you say, Dr. Gill, this is a hospital, and when patients are healed,
如您所說,Gill醫生,這里是醫院,當病人痊愈了
they're let out of hospitals. Coffee not good?
他們可以離開醫院,咖啡不好喝?
Oh, no, it's, I was just thinking about something.
噢,不是,我只是在想事情
Yeah, I do that. Thinking about what? That's kind of private.
嗯,我也常那么做,想什么?私人問題
You know, I'd stake out a little distance from that Shore guy, Sally.
我會和Shore保持距離,Sally
He tends to leave people's minds a little worse off than he finds them.
他總能讓人在遇見他后,變得更加糟糕
His old girlfriend, case in point. You two discussing cases?
他的前女友,絕好的案例,你們在討論案情嗎?
I wasn't aware you provided emotional counsel as well as legal, Lori.
我不知道除了法律之外,你還提供感情咨詢,Lori
That's quite a perk. A woman tries to kill you, you go to represent her.
真是精力充沛,一個女人想要殺你,你跑去幫她辯護
You don't think there's a pathology at play here?
你不覺得這樣有些病態嗎?
I referred to yours. I got the reference, thank you.
我是指你們,我清楚指誰,謝謝
Speaking as an enormously unlikable person,
作為同樣惹人討厭的自己
I find it difficult to maintain grudges against all those who want to kill me, don't you?
我覺得很難去拒絕想殺自己的人,你覺得呢?
Yes, you'll perhaps find that witty comeback in your office.
回辦公室慢慢想怎么反擊吧
He's got a motion for costs, for sanctions,
他提出費用和制裁申請
he has ordered a transcript so he can read back to the judge what you said today.
他還要求了副本,可以告訴法官,你今天的言論
Good. Then I won't have to bother trying to remember.
很好,那我就不用去記了
Damn it, Denny, you're way out of the line.
該死的,Denny,你做的太過分了
This woman has just lost a husband.
這個女人剛失去了丈夫
You're asking her questions about her sex life, her perfume?
你卻問她什么,性生活,香水?
I know what I'm doing. Which is? It'll come to me.
我知道我在做什么,做什么?我會解決的
That lawyer is going to pick you apart in open court tomorrow.
那個律師明天會在庭上把你撕碎
Let him try. Denny crane. Listen to me.
讓他試試,我是Denny Crane,聽我說
Do you know why I was brought here?
知道為什么我會調到這里?
The firm thinks that you are becoming a liability.
公司認為你已經是個包袱了
They wanted me to control you. Who thinks I'm a liability?
他們想讓我壓制你,誰認為我是累贅?
It doesn't matter. Who? Denny, you were once something to aspire to.
這無關緊要,誰?Denny,你曾經是激勵我的偶像
You're now becoming something to parody.
現在你完全就像滑稽表演
You walk around saying "Denny crane, Denny crane" like it's supposed to
走來走去,口中說著"Denny crane Denny crane"好像這個名字是什么
intimidate or conjure up awe.
威脅或魔咒似的
You're a complete joke.
你完全成了笑話
If that gets me fired, so be it. I'm saying it just the same.
如果你想開除我,隨你,但是我還是要這么說
You know why? Because I love you. I adore you.
知道為什么嗎?因為我愛你,崇拜你
But it hurts to see you deteriorating into a...
但是我很痛心,看著你淪落成為...
Get the hell out of my office.
滾出我的辦公室
You didn't have to get me a hotel room.
你不用替我找賓館
I didn't. You're staying in my place.
我沒有,你正在我的地盤
I beg your pardon? I won't get fresh.
你說什么?我沒想調戲你
You live in a hotel? I do.
你住在酒店里?正是
What happened to your big, grotesque house
你那個奇形怪狀的大房子呢?
with your more grotesque swimming pool
還有你奇異的游泳池
and your even more grotesque rumpus room? I sold it.
還有更加怪誕的娛樂室?我賣了
I require a lot of fresh towels and nightly turndown service.
我需要很多干凈毛巾還有夜間服務
Why would you live in a ho... Oh, I, I see.
你為什么要住在酒...噢,我知道了
The comfort of being able to check out on a whim.
那種興之所至,隨時離去的舒適感
You know, as much as you've explained it, you've never really explained it.
你知道,盡管你解釋了那么多,你從來沒給出真正的解釋
I demand only one thing in a relationship, Christine, that I remain utterly alone.
在戀情中,我只要求一件事,Christine,讓我保持完全的自我
Nice out, Alan. I'm sorry?
逃的真妙,什么?
Even in conversation, you always have a nice out.
即使是一段對話,你總能巧妙的逃脫
I did my best to control him.
我盡了全力去控制他
And the other attorney has brought a motion for sanctions?
對方律師提出了對Denny制裁申請?
Which he wants to argue himself. Oh, my god.
他想自己辯護,我的上帝
We count on you to help prevent these kinds of situations, Brad.
我們就是要你防止這種情況,Brad
Paul, I'm a relatively junior partner. Paul
我只是初級合伙人
What exactly do you expect me to do?
你希望我能做什么?
If that man gets up in open court... Excuse me.
如果那個男人站在法庭上...抱歉
The man can still handle himself in court.
他可以在法庭上控制自己
Oh, please. The only possible good that could come from his...
拜托,那樣做唯一的好處就是...
Is he adamant about arguing this himself? I'm afraid so. Well...
他堅持自己辯護?我想是的,那么...
I guess we can't say no.
我想我們無法拒絕
His name is still first on the letterhead.
他的名字仍是信箋抬頭的首位
Let him argue. We're up early.
讓他辯護,我們起的很早啊
I've been up since 6:00, actually.
我六點就起來了,事實上
I've been waiting for you to get up so I could say goodbye.
我一直在等你醒,好跟你說再見
There's a cab outside waiting.
外面有輛出租在等我
I thought your flight's at 11:00.
我以為你的飛機是11點的
I'm going to the airport early.
我想早點去機場
Ridge upped the security to level mauve.
安全級別升到紫色了
Let me drive you. No. I ,I'd prefer to...
我開車送你,不用了,我想...
Thank you for getting me out, for forgiving me.
謝謝你幫我出來,并且原諒我
Well... That's it. Creep.
那么...就這些了,真失敗
Better go. Call me when you land.
要走了,下了飛機打電話給我
I just think I should argue it.
我只是覺得該我去辯護
Why, so you can control me? Nobody controls me.
為什么?這樣你就能控制我?沒人能控制我
Denny, you're the subject of the hearing. Denny
你是這場聽證會的目標
I'm certainly going to have more objectivity than... I'll argue the motion.
很明顯我能比你更加客觀的...這場辯護我來
When Denny crane gets attacked, he stands up for himself.
當Denny crane受到攻擊,他會為自己挺身而出
I don't need you or anybody else controlling or protecting me.
我不需要你或者任何人,控制或者保護我
Brad You're not going to court in this state.
Brad,你不能在這種情形下出庭
you can join me or not. Your choice. What's going on?
來不來隨你,你自己選,怎么回事?
He still plans to argue it himself.
他還是打算自己辯護
And the partner said let him. I know, but I thought...
合伙人同意的,我知道,但是
you know why they're saying let him?
你知道為什么嗎?
A public debacle on record is just
一次公開的記錄在冊的崩潰
what they need to convince the full partnership in January to broom him.
是他們一月份合伙人會議上,清除他的最好理由
What? Yeah, they want him to self-destruct, Brad.
什么?他們希望他自取滅亡,Brad
They obviously think losing a few clients is worth losing him.
他們情愿用失去客戶來擺脫他
You cannot let him argue this motion.
你不能讓他去這次辯論
You're her guardian, and she slept in your hotel room last night.
你是她的監護人,而她昨晚在你酒店房間里過夜
You see, you get upset when I don't tell you these things, but then when I do,
你生氣因為我沒告訴你事情,可當我告訴你了呢?
She's gone to Chicago. It's... It's not about her. Excellent. Then...
她已經飛往芝加哥了,這些...不是她的問題,很好,那是...
It, it's us. Is there an us? Sally, I know this seems difficult.
是我們,可以說"我們"嗎? Sally,我知道這很難
You know what? You know what'll be fun?
知道什么才有趣嗎?
Can we go shopping for shoes or a new dress?
不如我們去購物,鞋子或者新衣服
Something revealing for the office party.
參加公司聚會時用的著的
Soft, but... Alan tight.
柔軟,但是...緊身,Alan.
What are you doing here? My flight was canceled.
你在這干嗎?我的航班取消了
I thought you might feel like an early lunch.
我以為你想早點吃午餐
Christine polley Sally heep Hi. It's nice to meet you. Hi.
Christine polley, Sally heep.你好,很高興見到你,你好
Your flight was canceled. I'm rescheduled at 4:30.
航班被取消了,我重訂了4:30的
This is why I've refused to fly for the past two years.
這也是我過去兩年,拒絕坐飛機的原因
That, and I've been locked up.
所以我被耽擱了
So can I steal you for lunch? Actually, no.
那么,陪我吃個午飯?事實上,不能
We were just about to go on... It's okay, really.
我們正準備去,沒關系,真的
Very nice to meet you. Maybe I shouldn't have come. Truth is...
真高興遇到你,也許我不該來,事實上
you weren't my first choice for lunch.
你不是我午餐的第一選擇
I called a few friends. Everybody seems to need a little distance.
我打電話給一些朋友,每個人好像在保持距離
It was all like, "oh, Christine, how nice to hear from you," and...
每個都是,噢,Christine,聽到你的消息真高興,然后
You're smart enough to expect that.
以你的聰明,你該料到的
Never got it from you. Are you and Sally... We're seeing each other. Oh.
可你從來沒說過這些,你和Sally...,在約會,噢
She seemed nice. She is. Certainly attractive. There's that. Well...
她看起來不錯,確實如此,很有魅力,當然,嗯...
it'll be easier when I get to Chicago, easier to start over there, I think.
也許我在芝加哥會容易些,在那里重新開始
I agree. Yeah. So...lunch? On your next visit.
我同意,是啊,那么...午餐?下次
Well... Goodbye, then, again. Um... Goodbye, Christine.
那么...再見,再一次,嗯,再見,Christine
Denny, listen to me.
Denny,聽我說
Some of the partners are coming down to watch the motion,
一些合伙人會來旁聽這次辯論
and not in support, Denny. They're hoping you crash in there.
不是來支持你的,Denny,他們想看到你倒下
They're hoping to be able to get some leverage
他們想找到理由
to be able to say at the partnership meeting,
好在合伙人會議上說
"it's time to take Denny crane out of the game." What game?
"該把Denny踢出游戲了"什么游戲?
I don't know whether he was trying to humiliate her or hit on her.
我不清楚對方是想侮辱我當事人,還是想表達愛意
It wasn't clear. What was clear was the indecency of it.
并不清楚,但這明顯是極不妥當的猥褻行為
This is what lawyering has degenerated to.
這是律師業的墮落
Carrie lansing lost her husband, he's probing her about her sex life.
Carrie Lansing剛剛失去她的丈夫,對方就要打探她的性生活
It was a blatant abuse of our process.
這是對審理程序的極大侮辱
It was an embarrassment to the integrity of our profession.
使我們專業的正直和誠實蒙羞
This attorney should be sanctioned severely, your honor.
對方律師應受到嚴厲制裁,法官閣下
A message has to be sent to the bar
要讓所有律師清楚的知道
that our bar is raised higher than an episode of reality television.
這里并不是紀實節目的戲耍之地
Denny crane demeaned Carrie lansing, he demeaned our court system, and he should be dealt with.
Denny Crane侮辱了Carrie Lansing,貶低了法庭制度,他應受懲罰
Mr. Crane? Denny, I have a good feel for this. Can I take it?
Mr. Crane?Denny,我有個很好的辯駁,讓我來吧
I'll take it. This is, um, pretty powerful stuff.
我來,這些,真是氣勢非凡的演說
I can see Mr. Ripley's a very powerful man.
能看出Mr. Ripley是個很有氣勢的人
And that's a big thing with lawyers, isn't it? Power. The fear of feeling weak.
而這正是律師的關鍵,氣勢,對軟弱無力的恐懼
I've seen it before. Attorneys coming up against Denny crane.
我見過很多,律師們走到Denny Crane的面前
They jump, and stomp, and shake their fists, and bellow with impassioned rage.
暴跳如雷,揮舞拳頭,激情四溢
Makes quite a demonstration, doesn't it?
很有威懾力,不是嗎?
But when you cut through to the merits,
但當你透過現象看本質
this lady has alleged in her complaint loss of consortium,
這位女士聲稱喪失了配偶權利
legal terms meaning sex and affection.
法律術語,即相愛和性交的權利
And if she's enjoying sex and affection, it's relevant. It's a mitigating factor.
可如果她仍在享有愛情與性交,這就息息相關了,這是減責要素
I'm entitled to explore it.
我就有責任去探究
Mr. Ripley may not like it, but it's legitimate.
Ripley先生也許不喜歡,但這合理合法
And, I may add, that I conducted my probe in the relative privacy of a closed conference room.
另外,容我多言,我的這些探究,在相對隱秘的會議室中進行
Mr. Powerful man made it much more public
而這位大人物卻用他激情洋溢的演說
with his impassioned chest-thumping in a courtroom.
在此法庭之上公之與眾
I object to this. Oh, go ahead and pound the table.
我反對,噢,敲桌子吧
I'll tell you what I object to.
告訴你們我反對什么
We have an offer on the table that you so love to pound.
我們提出和解建議
An offer I can't discuss because the settlement talks have been sealed.
因為保密條款,在此我不能多言
Suffice to say it is on the high side, the extreme high side,
但可以說條件優厚,非常優厚
considering the fact that liability is not certain.
特別是考慮到并非我當事人的責任
Mr. Lansing had a preexisting heart condition.
Lansing先生心臟本身就存在疾病
But instead of taking the offer, powerful guys like Mr. Ripley wanna go to trial. Why?
然而,對方并沒有接受,像Mr.Ripley這樣的大人物,想要對簿公堂,為什么?
Because I'm the opponent. It's a coup to beat the big guy.
因為對手是我,打敗高手,一舉成名
Well, what if you don't? You demean the profession, Mr. Powerful guy.
但是,如果失敗了呢?是你在侮辱我們的職業,大人物
You're using your client to get a notch.
是你在利用客戶為自己謀取名聲
You're making Carrie lansing go through the ordeal of a trial for your own ego.
你讓Carrie女士飽受庭審的煎熬,為一己私欲
Objection! A trial you may lose, in which case, she gets nothing.
反對,你失敗了,她將一無所得
Objection! Oh, but if you're loud enough,
反對,但是如果你大聲疾呼
Objection! forceful enough and strong enough,
反對,巧言詭辯,態度強硬
she may never realize that you blew it.
也許她將永遠不會發現,是你搞砸了案子
Brad? Funny. You'd like me to feel threatened, wouldn't you?
Brad?有意思,你想我有危機感,是吧?
I may not be able to talk as fast, but my tongue is certainly more versatile.
我說話也許不快,但我的舌頭更多才多藝
You disapprove of me. And that warms my cockles.
你有不同意見,這倒讓我蠢蠢欲動了
I'm afraid something's come up. Oh, don't tell me.
我想我們還有事要做,哦,省省吧
Her flight left an hour ago. She's gone. So... Shopping.
飛機一小時前起飛,她走了,然后...購物去
Maybe not shoes... but something... slippery to perhaps slide out of later.
也許不單買鞋子,還買些其他的...柔滑的,過會就從身上掉落下來的...
I'm not that easy. Well, I am.
我可沒那么隨便,我是
Do you feel responsible for her being in there?
你為她的狀況自責嗎?
I certainly was a precipitating factor.
我絕對是個誘因
Is she well now? I think so.
她現在還好嗎?我想是的
But perhaps I'm inclined to believe that.
也可能我一廂情愿這么想
You might come to value my latitude on these matters
對于我的做法,你能更有體會
somewhat more fully on the day you try to kill me. I miss you.
在你想殺我的那天,我想你
I have a friend who has this amazing house in Vermont.
我朋友在Vermont有棟豪宅
Maybe for Columbus weekend, we could sneak up there. I love Vermont.
哥倫布日長周末我們溜去那里,我喜歡Vermont
Would you allow me to cover your body in maple syrup?
想讓我幫你全身涂滿楓葉糖嗎?
Excuse me. Where did she stay? I have no idea.
抱歉,她住哪?我不知道
I wouldn't even know where to go look for her.
我都不知道哪里去找她
Well, she clearly knows where to look for you.
她可清楚哪里能找到你
Alan, she is stalking you. She's not...
Alan,她在跟蹤你,她沒有...
Crazy? She tried to kill you, she was institutionalized,
發瘋?她想殺你,被送進了瘋人院
now she's out, and she's stalking you.
現在出來了,又來跟蹤你
You said that you were her legal guardian. It's a technicality.
你說過你是她的法定監護人,理論上是
Well, you may have certain rights to have her recommitted.
那你完全有權力再把她送進去
She hasn't done anything to warrant that.
她沒到那個程度
At the very least, you could get a restraining order.
至少,你可以申請到限制令
There's nothing to warrant that, either.
同樣沒有理由
Do you really want to wait till there is?
你真想等到有理由的時候?
Brad You hear? He won the motion and settled the case.
Brad.聽說了嗎?他辯護成功,還結了案子
You must be disappointed. I know what you were hoping for, Paul.
你一定很失望,我知道你的意圖,Paul
Let me tell you something, my friend.
聽我說,朋友
I have loved and admired Denny crane a lot longer than you have.
我一直很敬重Denny Crane
We all want him to be great.
我們都希望他繼續偉大
If you loved him, you wouldn't have ordered his demise to be public.
真那樣,你就不會讓他去送死
Hey. Hey. Plaintiff lost his motion for sanctions, accepted our offer.
嘿,嘿,原告的申請被駁回,也接受了協議
Case is over, settled, done. I heard.
案子結束,搞定,了結,我聽說了
Denny, you did an incredible job.
Denny,你真讓人難以置信
I think you turned his own client against him in there.
你成功的使他與客戶對立
Is that what you think?
你這么想的?
Am I now to put stock in what you think?
現在把我當回事了?
Denny, I just came here to congratulate you.
Denny,我是來恭喜你的
I don't need your praise. Hardware. Trunks full of praise.
我不需要你的恭維,這些東西,贊揚到處都是
Denny Denny... I want your respect. I'm senior partner. Respect goes with the job.
我要的是你的尊重,我是資深合伙人,這個位置本就應得尊重
Not to mention I've earned it. I've earned it.
更別提也是我奮斗來的,我贏來的
Don't you think I feel the wagons circling? Now comes the plaintiff.
你以為我沒看到車輪在前進嗎?現在原告所說
Hereinafter, the alleges and charges as follows.
在下文中提及,控告如下
Count one, on September 11th in the year of our lord...
第一項,在9月11號...
I'm so, so sorry. I came to see you last night, only... why did you not go to Chicago?
我真的,真的很抱歉,我昨天去看你,只是,為什么你沒去芝加哥?
I decided to collect a few letters of recommendation before I leave.
我本想在走之前,拿到些推薦信
If I'm going to try... You could do that by phone.
如果我想找到工作...打電話也可以
I could, and I planned to, but Bernie levinson, senior partner at my old firm,
是,我本來想的,但Bernie levinson,我以前公司的資深合伙人
insists on meeting me in person.
堅持要見我本人
Evidently, he wants to be sure I'm not nuts.
很明顯,他想確認我不再是瘋子
So I'm seeing him at 2:00, I fly out at 6:00. All right, so...
所以,我2點見他,6點飛走,好吧,那么...
why'd you come to find me last night?
你昨晚為什么跟著我?
You weren't picking up your cell, and...
你沒有接手機,而且...
Alan, I'm so sorry. I had no idea you were on a date.
Alan,真的抱歉,我不知道你在約會
I shouldn't have come at all.
我根本不該去的
I, I realized that. I left as soon as I saw the expression on your face and...
我意識到了,看到你的表情,我就離開了
I truly, truly apologize. I have to be honest, Christine, it scared... the hell out of me.
我真的,真的很抱歉,老實說,Christine,真的嚇的我...膽戰心驚
Believe me, if I had thought for a second that you were on a date...
相信我,如果我知道你是在約會...
Sally, is it, is it serious? I really don't want to talk about it.
Sally,你們是,是認真的?我真的不想談論這個問題
May I ask why not? We're friends, are we not? Good friends.
為什么不能?我們是朋友,好朋友,不是嗎?
It's only natural for us to discuss our lives with each other.
聊聊各自的生活也很正常
I really don't want to talk about it.
我真的不想談這個
Are you embarrassed? Is this just some young thing you like to screw...
你覺得尷尬?又是一個你想毀掉的新歡?
dinner and a quickie, something casual?
晚餐,做愛,一切照舊?
I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. I... Maybe I still do get pangs.
對不起,這么說很過分,我...也許我還是很痛苦
Anyway, I, again, apologize for just showing up last night.
不管怎樣,我再一次為昨晚道歉
I think I will leave before this gets awkward.
我覺得在局面變得更糟前,我還是走吧
Why don't we rent a nice restaurant for these things?
為什么就不能租個好點餐館
Because it's all about impressing the clients,
這是要讓我們的客戶留下深刻印象
who like to know that inflated fees buy fancy offices.
他們總以為我們飛漲的律師費,都用在豪華辦公室上了
Hey, how you doing? Brad. Just talking about you.
嘿,你們好嗎?Brad,正說到你呢
Okay, we weren't. Sally, would you dance with me?
好吧,沒說你,Sally,能否與我共舞?
Well... oh, that's right. Tara You're with big Al
嗯,哦,沒關系,Tara.你已經有人陪了
I love to. They make a lovely couple, and he's got a nice, tight ass, don't you think?
樂意之至,他們還真登對,他的屁股挺翹,你不覺得嗎?
You think? Oh. Christine? Something's come up.
你覺得是?噢,Christine?發生了些事情
Nothing bad. It's great, actually, but I think I better discuss it with you in person.
不是壞事,實際上,大好消息,但是我覺得還是當面談比較好
Can I steal two minutes? I'm at an office party.
能給我點時間嗎?我在工作聚會
Can you tell me about it over the phone?
能在電話里說嗎?
I'd really prefer to do it in person. Congratulations.
我真的希望能當面談,恭喜你
Denny, I... I accept your congratulations.
Denny,我...我接受你的恭喜
Don't linger like we're friends. We used to be friends.
別在這轉悠,好像我們是朋友似的,我們曾經是朋友
We used to sit out on balconies at night as kids
晚上我們孩子般的坐在陽臺
and criticize each other's openings and closings. Remember those days, Denny?
互相修改開場白和結案陳詞,還記得那些日子嗎,Denny?
When we were open to each other's criticism and candor?
大家對批評都很直接,我就坦率
"Open" is a funny choice of word.
坦率用在你身上太滑稽了
You're a out-in-the-open sort of fellow, Paul?
你真是個光明磊落的家伙, Paul?
I'm still a good lawyer. Yes, you are.
我仍然是個好律師,你是
You remember Muhammad Ali's last fight? We had ringside seats.
你還記得拳王阿里的最后一戰嗎?我們就坐在拳臺邊上
He lost so pathetically to Larry holmes. We were so crushed.
他那么可憐的輸給了Larry Holmes,我們很沮喪
The tragedy that night, Denny, wasn't that he couldn't still box.
那晚的悲劇,Denny,不是他不再能打
He could. The tragedy was...that he still thought he was Ali.
他可以,悲劇是他仍覺得自己是拳王阿里
You're a good lawyer, my friend. You're just not Denny crane.
你是個好律師,我的朋友,但你不再是Denny Crane
Hanging out with all your friends?
跟你的小朋友們出來閑逛?
Whoever designed women's shoes... May I?
設計的女鞋的人簡直...我可以嗎?
Nothing personal. It's a fetish. Your fingers are so... Yes, thank you.
別想太多,只是個愛好,你的手指很...是的,謝謝
My uncle was a butcher. Don't you think Sally might object to this?
我叔叔是屠夫,不怕Sally會反感你這么做?
We're nonexclusive when it comes to feet.
關于腳,我們沒那么多忌諱
Oh, dear, you have a bunion.
噢,親愛的,你得了姆囊炎
Did you come in here for something?
你來有事情嗎?
Why are you counseling Sally to distance herself from me?
為什么你要建議Sally離開我?
There are happily ever after guys, and there are those who leave girls in a heap.
有些男人分手后留下快樂,有些卻給女生留下痛苦
And I can tell the difference. You speak from personal experience? That's private.
我能分辨出他們,你的個人經驗?這是隱私
Then perhaps I should get to know you better and ask again. And I'd love to.
也許我該多了解你點后,再來問一次,雖然我十分樂意這么做
but right now, I'm going to go dance with Sally. This is nice.
但是現在,我要跟Sally共舞去了,感覺真好
I know a cozy little photocopying machine we could adjourn to.
我知道有臺舒適的復印機,可以讓我們放松一下
You're expecting a visitor, remember?
你還在等人,記得嗎?
She said it would take two minutes. She's beautiful.
她說只談兩分鐘,她很漂亮
Excuse me? She's here. And she's beautiful. Time me. Two minutes.
什么?她來了,而且她很漂亮,看著表,兩分鐘
Christine, you look stunning. Well, I knew you were having a fancy party.
Christine你很迷人,我知道你在參加一個華麗的聚會
I didn't want to appear conspicuous, so I threw something on.
我不想那么顯眼,就挑了件穿上
I see. And what did you want to talk about?
看的出來,你想談什么?
Well, can we go to your office? I'd prefer not.
能去你的辦公室嗎?恐怕不行
Well, being that I just showed up at your date the other night,
那晚我正好在你約會時出現
I didn't want you to think I was following you.
我不想讓你誤會我在跟蹤你
You know I wouldn't do that, right?
你知道我不會的,對嗎?
What have you come to talk about, Christine?
你來是要說什么,Christine?
My meeting with Bernie levinson went incredibly well, and...
我跟Bernie levinson的會面出奇順利,而且
Well, he's rehired me. I can start as soon as Monday.
他重新雇傭了我,我周一就可以上班
Can you believe it? What about Chicago?
你能相信嗎?芝加哥怎么辦?
The truth is I think I have a better chance at achieving normalcy in Boston.
事實上,我覺得留在波士頓,會更有助于我的恢復
I called Dr. Gill. He agreed, the less change, the better.
我打電話給Gill醫生,他同意了,變化越少越好
I can see him as an outpatient, and...
我可以去他那復診,而且...
Your guardians, your parents, are in Illinois.
你的監護人,你父母,住在Illinois
I was released to you in Massachusetts.
在Massachusetts州,你是我的監護人
I was afraid you'd freak if I told you this on the phone,
我怕電話里告訴你,你會害怕
or if you just ran into me at the courthouse.
或者直接把我拉上法庭
This is why I wanted to give you the news in person. Okay.
所以我才想當面告訴你,好吧
It's truly fantastic news. Isn't it, Alan? I got my old job back. Yes. It is.
真的是很棒的消息,不是嗎,Alan?我找回了工作,是,的確是