Can I don't ever want to feel like I did that day.
我再也不想有如那天般的感受,
Take me to the place I love. Take me all the way.
帶我去我愛的地方帶我一路走。
I don't ever want to feel like I did that day. Take me to the place I love... Fellas, please.
我再也不想有如那天般的感受,帶我去我愛的地...伙計們消停點兒吧。
Penny, come on. We were just finding our sound.
佩妮求你了,我們剛找著調。
You found it. It's the sound of a cat being run over by a lawn mower.
你們找到的調是一只貓被卷進割草機里。
I'm really very busy. Is there any way that we can put this off until I have more time to prepare?
我真的很忙。我們能否推遲一下?我好有點時間來準備。
Of course. But, uh, you understand my trepidation.
當然了,可你知道我有些啥顧慮。
What's that about? Not a clue.
他又在干嘛?毫無頭緒。
Can't we just postpone it till the spring? Maybe next summer?
就不能推遲到開春嗎?或者明年夏天?
This should be fairly easy to deduce. He's holding the phone to his left ear.
這個應該很好推斷的。他把電話擱在左耳旁邊。
Ears do not cross hemispheres, so he's using the analytical rather than the emotional side of the brain,
左耳還是左腦控制的,所以他是在理性分析而不是感情用事,
suggesting that he has no personal relationship with the caller.
表明他和來電者沒有私人關系。
No, I didn't realize it had been so long.
不,我沒想到已經這么久了。
Sure, I guess there's no other choice but to just go ahead and do it.
好吧,我想沒有其他可選擇了,那就只好這么辦了。
He's referring to an activity he has done before. It's unpleasant and needs to be repeated.
他談到了一件以前做過的事,那件事令人不愉快,但又不得不再來一遍。
This suggests some sort of invasive medical test, like perhaps a colonoscopy.
表明這件事應該是某種侵入性醫療檢查,比如說結腸鏡檢查。
Aren't there any other options? There's not a lot of room. It's gonna be uncomfortable.
就沒有其他選擇了么?沒多大地方,肯定很不舒服的。
Yes, yes. I'm definitely going with colonoscopy.
沒錯沒錯,我敢肯定是結腸鏡檢查。
Okay, bye. My mother is coming to visit.
好吧再見。我媽要來看我。
How about that, you were right.
聽聽,你說得沒錯啊。
It's out of order.
電梯壞了。
Yes, I can read the sign. I'm just pondering the implications.
嗯我看到提示了,我只是在沉思其背后的深意。
I think it implies that the elevator doesn't work.
我覺得這意味著電梯不工作了。
Again, I can read the sign.
再說一遍,我看到提示了。
But the sign and the tape are coated with a layer of dust, which indicates that the elevator has been nonfunctional for a significant amount of time.
不過標簽和膠帶上都有厚厚一層灰了,這表示電梯已經壞了 有相當長的一段時間了。
Which suggests either a remarkable passivity among the, I assume, 24 to 36 residents of this building,
也就暗示著這棟大樓里的大約24到36位居民十分不主動。
based on the number of mailboxes and given typical urban population density or a shared delusion of functionality.
噢,居民數我是從郵箱的數目以及普通城鎮人口密度推斷出來的,或者說這些人都有功能性錯覺。
You must be Leonard's mother. Oh, I don't know if I must be, but yes.
你一定是蘭納德的母親。噢,不知道是不是非得是,不過是的。
Uh, I'm Penny. I'm his neighbor. Oh, Dr. Beverly Hofstadter. Oh, nice to meet you.
我是佩妮,他的鄰居。噢,貝芙莉?霍夫斯塔特博士。很高興見到你。
Oh, you're a hand shaker. Interesting.
噢,你習慣握手啊,真有趣。
Uh, why don't you come with me. I'll walk you to the apartment.
你跟我一起走吧,我帶你去他們房間。
Oh, all right. Would you like to exchange pleasantries on the way?
噢好啊,路上咱先寒暄寒暄吧?
Yeah, sure, I guess. All right, you start.
嗯好啊。那好,你先說吧。
Okay. You know, I've always been curious. What was Leonard like when he was little?
行,你要知道我一直都很好奇蘭納德小時候是什么樣的?
Oh, I think you mean young. He's always been little.
噢,我想你是指他年輕的時候,他一直都是個小不點兒。
Right, okay. What was he like when he was young?
沒錯,他年輕的時候是什么樣的?
You'll have to be more specific. Um, okay, like, five or six. Five.
你得再說具體點兒。呃... 好吧,比如說五六歲的時候。五歲。
Oh, well, at that age, he was well enmeshed in what Freud would call the phallic stage of psychosexual development.
那時他正深陷于弗洛伊德所謂的心理性發展之生殖器崇拜階段,
An outmoded theory, of course, but the boy did spend most of his waking hours with a tight grasp on his penis.
當然是個過時的理論了,不過那孩子確實在大部分醒著的時候牢牢地抓住自己的小弟弟不放。
Yeah, Leonard mentioned you were a psychiatrist.
是啊,蘭納德說起過,你是個精神病學家。
Well, that is one of my degrees. My primary field is neuroscience.
那只是其中一個學位罷了,我主要涉及的領域是神經系統學。
Well, I'm an actress. Why? What do you mean why?
我是個演員。為什么?什么為什么?
Well, there are studies that suggest that many who go into the performing arts suffer from an external locus of identity.
有研究表明,許多演藝界的人士都有外界認同的煎熬。
Yeah, I don't know what that means.
我不知道你在說什么。
Well, it means you value yourself only as others value you, which is often the result of unmet childhood emotional needs.
這表明當別人重視你時,你才會重視自己,通常是童年情感需要得不到滿足的結果。
Oh, well, I had a wonderful childhood. Tell me about it.
噢,我有個很棒的童年。-跟我說說。
I know my dad wanted a boy. I I just, I tried being good at sports, but I hated getting dirty!
我知道老爸想要個兒子,我... 我努力讓自己變成體育健將,可我真的討厭把自己弄臟!
And then, I'm assuming, you entered adolescence.
然后我想你進入了青春期。
He called me Slugger until I got my first training bra. And then he just stopped playing catch with me.
在我戴上少女胸罩前他都管我叫重擊手。之后他就不和我玩傳接球了。
I wasn't Slugger anymore. Your mother's here!
我再也不是重擊手了。你媽來了!
If you want to have intercourse with that girl, find out what kind of cologne her father wore.
如果你想和那個姑娘上床,查查他老爸擦的是哪種古龍水就行。
Good to see you, Mother. Here's your tea, Mother.
見到你真好,媽媽。這是你要的茶,媽媽。
Oolong? Yes. Loose, not bagged? Yes. Steeped three minutes? Yes. Two percent milk? Yes.
烏龍茶?是。散裝的不是袋泡的?是。泡了三分鐘?是。加了2%的牛奶?是。
Warmed separately? Yes. One teaspoon sugar? Yes. Raw sugar? Yes. It's cold.
分開加熱的?是。一茶勺糖?是。原糖?是。涼了。
I'll start again. I have the same problem with him.
我再來一回。我也覺得他有問題。
My theory is that his lack of focus, stems from an overdeveloped sex drive.
我的看法是他不夠專注,是因為性欲過剩。
Oh, I don't know where he would've gotten that.
我真不知道他是從哪遺傳的。
Aside from a pro forma consummation of our marriage, his father and I only had intercourse for the purposes of reproduction.
除卻一段形式上完滿的婚姻,他的父親和我交髯只是為了繁殖。
That seems a fairly efficient arrangement.
看來那似乎是相當有效的安排。
Yes, we think so. We've both done papers on it.
是啊,我們也這么想,我們都為此事發表了論文,
Mine from the neuroscientific point of view and his from an anthropological.
我從神經系統科學觀點出發,他是從人類學觀點出發。
Mine, of course, was the only one worth reading.
當然,只有我的論文值得一讀。
Of course. I would very much like to read about your sex life.
必須的。我非常希望可以拜讀一下您的性生活。
Well, it's all online or you can order it from the Princeton University Press.
你可以在線閱讀也可以從普林斯頓大學出版社訂購。
Here's your tea, Mother. So, what are you guys talking about?
這是你的茶,媽媽,你們在聊什么呢?
The frequency with which your parents had intercourse.
你父母性交的頻率。
Swell. If you're lucky, maybe she'll show you the PowerPoint presentation.
不錯。幸運的話她會給你做幻燈片演講。
I'm sorry, it's on my other laptop.
對不起,存在我另一個筆記本里。
So, Mother...what's new? You'll have to be more specific.
媽媽... 有什么新鮮事?-你應該要有針對性地問。
All right. Uh, what's new with you?
好吧,你有什么新鮮事?
Oh, well, I've been having some fascinating menopausal symptoms recently.
哦,我最近有一些令人著迷的更年期征兆。
Maybe something less personal. Your Uncle Floyd died.
說些不是太私人的事。你弗洛德叔叔死了。
Oh, my God. What happened? His heart stopped beating. I have to urinate.
哦,天啊,出什么事了?他的心臟不跳了。我得去小便。
What a remarkable woman. Yeah, I I thought you guys might hit it off.
多么非凡的女人。是啊,我就覺著你倆合得來。
I envy you your childhood. I hate to tell you, but the only warm memories I have of my childhood are of my Uncle Floyd.
我很嫉妒你的童年。我不想這么說,但我童年時期唯一的溫暖記憶都是來自我的弗洛德叔叔。
You're clearly misremembering. Your mother is brilliant, analytical, insightful.
你很顯然記錯了,你媽媽絕頂聰明,既有分析能力又富有洞察力,
And I'm betting she never hit you with a Bible because you wouldn't eat your Brussels sprouts.
而且我打賭她不會因為你不吃芽甘藍就用圣經打你。
Sheldon, you don't give your mother enough credit. She's warm, she's loving, she doesn't glue electrodes to your head to measure your brain waves while potty training.
謝爾頓,你對你媽媽的評價有失偏頗,她是個溫暖慈愛的人,不會在你學用嬰兒便盆時就把電極粘到你頭上來測腦電波。
You were lucky. When I was a kid, if I wanted an EEG, I had to attach my own electrodes.
你夠幸運了,我小時候要是做腦電圖還得自己接電極。
So, Dr. Hofstadter, Leonard rarely talks about his incredibly successful brother and sister.
霍夫斯塔德博士,蘭納德很少談起他格外成功的兄弟姐妹。
Please, don't go there, Howard.
拜托別說這個霍華德。
I understand that, unlike Leonard, they're at the top of their respective fields. Boy, you suck.
我知道,不像蘭納德,他們都是各自領域的權威人物。兄弟你很煩。
Well, Leonard's younger brother, Michael, is a tenured law professor at Harvard, and his sister just successfully grew a human pancreas in an adolescent gibbon.
蘭納德的弟弟邁克爾是哈佛大學的終身制法學教授,他姐姐剛在一個青春期長臂猿身上成功地植入了一個人類的胰腺。
So, she's close to curing diabetes?
這么說她就快能治糖尿病了?
Why else would you grow a pancreas in a enaged gibbon?
在一個十幾歲的長臂猿身上植入胰腺還能有什么別的原因?
Wow, you must be very proud.
你肯定為他們感到驕傲。
Why? They're not my accomplishments. I have to urinate.
為什么?又不是我的成就。我得去小便。
Why are you doing this?
為什么你要這么做?
You know the rules. You brought your mom to work you must suffer.
你知道規矩,你帶媽媽來上班,就等著遭罪吧。
Leonard, I had no idea your siblings were so much more successful than you.
蘭納德,真不知道你兄妹比你強那么多呢呀。
Yeah, you're like the Jar Jar Binks of the Hofstadter family.
你就像霍夫斯塔特家族的怪物查查比。
Oh, meesa think yousa lookin' so so sad.
哦~我呀覺得你呀看起來好悲哀。
You know, rather than mock me, my friends might realize that this is difficult and try to help me through it.
我的朋友不該嘲笑我,應該意識到我這日子不好過并試著幫我渡過難關。
Nope, I think mocking you is more fun.
不,我認為嘲笑你更有意思。
Next time, don't you same bring mama to work. Okeeday? That was fast.
下次看你還帶不帶媽媽來上班。如何?很快啊。
Oh, the middle stall was occupied. I'll have to try again later.
哦中間那個隔間有人,我一會再去。
That's totally understandable. In bladder voiding, as in real estate, it's location, location, location.
這是完全可以理解的。膀胱排泄就好比房地產,最重要的就是位置,位置,還是位置。
So, where were we? Howard lives with his mother and Raj can't speak to women unless he's drunk. Go.
我們說到哪了?霍華德和他媽媽一起住,拉什只有喝醉了才和女人講話。開講吧。
That's fascinating. Selective mutism is quite rare.
真有意思,選擇性緘默癥是非常罕見的,
On the other hand, an adult Jewish male living with his mother is so common it borders on sociological cliché.
另一方面一個成年猶太男人跟他的媽媽一起住就太常見了,近乎社會學中的陳詞濫調。
It's just temporary; I pay rent. He lives in the same room where his bassinet was.
只是暫時的,我有付租金。他現在的房間就是以前放嬰兒床的。
You know, both selective mutism and an inability to separate from one's mother can stem from a pathological fear of women.
選擇性緘默癥和無法跟媽媽分開都可能源于對女性的病態恐懼,
It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy.
可以解釋你倆建立一段同性戀代替性婚姻關系來滿足自己對親密關系的饑渴。
Say what? That's basically what I just said.
說啥?不就是我剛說的嘛。
You brought your husband to work. You know the rules.
你帶“老公”來上班,你知道規矩的。
Meesa thinking yousa looking pretty sad now too, betcha, betcha.
我呀覺得你呀看起來也很傷心, 真的, 真的。
Leonard, it's 1:00. Weren't you going to show me your laboratory at 1:00?
蘭納德,1點了,你不是要在1點帶我去實驗室么?
There's no hurry, Mother. Tell them more about their secret love for each other.
不用著急媽媽,再跟他們講講他們的地下戀情。
But it's 1:00. You were going to show me your laboratory at 1:00. Her reasoning is unassailable It is 1:00.
但是1點了啊,你說1點帶我看實驗室的。她的理由無懈可擊,已經1點了。
Fine. Let's go. I think you'll find my work pretty interesting.
好吧走吧,你會覺得我的工作特別有意思,
I'm attempting to replicate the dark matter signal found in sodium iodide crystals by the Italians.
我正嘗試復制意大利人曾發現的碘化鈉結晶中找到暗物質信號的實驗。
So, no original research? No.
不是原創的研究?不是。
Well, what's the point of my seeing it? I could just read the paper the Italians wrote.
那還有啥好參觀的,看意大利人寫的文章不得了。