Gossip Girl,《緋聞女孩》
A: Hi. I bought you a little something to wear tonight.
甲:嗨,我給你買了點今晚可以佩戴的東西。
B: Oh, thank you. Oh, it's beautiful.
乙:哦,謝謝。哦,真漂亮。
A: Blair helped me pick it out. As I recall, purple was your father's favorite color, too.
甲:布菜爾幫我選的。我記得紫色也是你父親最喜歡的顏色。
B: Actually, I only wear purple because my father loathed it.
乙:實際上,我穿紫色衣服就是因為我爸最討厭這個顏色。
A: Oh, Or maybe that's what he wanted you to think. Bart was playing with people's heads all the time. Are you all right? Is it the lawsuit?
甲:哦,也許他就是想讓你有這樣的錯覺吧。巴特總是把人搞蒙。你沒事吧?在想訴訟的事?
B: Not the lawsuit, but, uh, who may be behind it. My uncle Jack just arrived in town.
乙:不是訴訟的事,而是在想那個幕后指使的人。我的叔叔杰克不久前到市區來了。
A: Sounds like Jack. Will he be going to the party tonight?
甲:是杰克的作風。他今晚會去派對嗎?
B: Uh, he's not invited, but he is a cockroach, and they tend to slip in through the cracks.
乙:額,我沒請他,不過他會跟一只小強一樣,從縫里鉆進我的派對。
A: Charles, um... your uncle and I... we have history. It's ugly history.
甲:查爾斯,嗯……你叔叔和我……我們以前有點過節。搞得很不開心。
B: Look, I'm not going to let Jack determine who can and can't come to my party.
乙:聽著,我才不會讓杰克來決定誰去或者不去我的派對呢。
A: I'm sorry, Charles. I don't know if I have the strength to deal with him and meet your family at the same time. I hope you understand.
甲:對不起,查爾斯。我不確定我是否有力氣在見你家人的時候還要領及他,我希望你能理解。
B: I understand perfectly. But since I can't spend the evening with you, stay for a while. Have a drink.
乙:我非常理解。不過既然今晚我不能陪你了,那你再待會兒吧。喝杯東西再走。
A: Of course.
甲:當然可以。