Yeah, I know. I have this memory from my childhood I realized recently never happened. -What?
是啊,我知道,我有一段童年的回憶,但是我最近意識到,這段回憶其實從未發生過。-是什么?
Well, when I was 8 or 9, my mom was so paranoid when I was walking home from my piano lesson at night.
這個,當我八九歲的時候,我媽媽很擔心我晚上下了鋼琴課后,一個人走回家會出事。
She would always warn me about dirty old men giving me candies and then showing me their pee penis.
她總是讓我當心色老頭給我糖果,然后給我看他們的雞雞。
She was so obsessed with it that, later in life, you know, I had this image in my head that this really happened.
她老是這么說,然后后來,你懂嗎,那個畫面就留在我腦子里了,我就真覺得那事曾經發生過。
To the point that I even associated sex with that walk home.
關鍵是我甚至把做愛和走回家聯系到一起了。
I mean, and sometimes, even now, when I'm...When I'm having sex, I see myself walking down that street.
我是說,有時候,甚至是現在,當我...當我做愛的時候,我都好像看見我自己在那條街上走。
I swear! It's so weird, right?
我發誓!非常奇怪,對吧?
Well, is that street nearby? I mean, to change it!
呃,那條街離這近嗎?我是說,把你那段回憶改變一下!

No. Very far. Did you ever keep a journal when you were a kid?
不行。非常遠。你小的時候記日記嗎?
Hmm, yeah. On and off, I guess.
嗯,算是吧,有時記。
It's funny, I read one of mine from '83 the other day. -Yeah?
很有意思的是,我有天讀了... 我83年的一本日記。-怎么了?
And what really surprised me is that I was dealing with life the same way I am now.
讓我非常驚奇的是,我那時的人生觀和現在一樣。
I was much more hopeful and naive. But the core, and the way I was feeling things, is exactly the same.
當然我那時更充滿希望,更天真單純。但我的核心本質,和對事情的感覺是完全一樣的。
It made me realize I haven't changed much at all.
這讓我意識到我其實沒怎么變。
Yeah. I don't think anybody does.
你說得對,可不是每個人都能意識到的。
And people don't want to admit it, but it's like we just...we have these innate set points.
盡管人們都不愿意承認,但就像我們... 我們個性的許多方面都是天生的。
You know, it's like to say...nothing much that happens to us changes our disposition.
你懂吧,就像是說...很少有后天發生的事能改變我們的性情。
Really, you believe that?
你是這么想的?
I think so. I read this study where they followed people who'd won the lottery and people who'd become paraplegic, right.
是的。我曾經看過一份研究報告,它追蹤那些贏了彩票的人以及截癱的人。
You'd think that, you know, one extreme is gonna make you euphoric and the other suicidal.
你會認為前一件事能讓你欣喜若狂,后一件則讓你簡直想自殺。
But the study shows that, after about six months, right. As soon as people got used to their new situation, they were more or less the same. -The same?
但是研究卻表明,大概六個月之后。只要人們習慣了他們的新處境,他們就和以前差不多一樣了。-一樣?
Well, yeah. Like, if they were basically an optimistic, jovial person, they're now an optimistic, jovial person in a wheelchair.
嗯,對。如果他們本質上是樂觀開朗的人,即使他們現在坐在了輪椅上,他們還是樂天派。
If they're a petty, miserable asshole, they're a petty, miserable asshole with a new Cadillac, a house and a boat.
如果他們是小肚雞腸、壞脾氣的笨家伙,就算他們有了卡迪拉克轎車、大別墅、 游艇,他們還是小肚雞腸、壞脾氣的笨蛋。
So you'll be forever depressed no matter what great things happen in your life?
就是說,哪怕人生中有多好的事情發生,你還是會這樣郁悶?
Definitely! -Great.
沒錯!-好吧。
No, come on, are you depressed now?
不會啦,拜托。你現在郁悶嗎?
No, no, I'm not depressed.
不,不,我不郁悶。