場景1
Robert: Where's your family?
羅伯特:您的家人呢?
Francesca: My husband took the kids to the lllinis State Fair for my daughter's Entrance Prize steer.
弗朗西斯卡:我丈夫帶著孩子們去了伊利諾伊州集市,我女兒的小公牛要參加決賽。
Robert: How old?
羅伯特:多大了?
Francesca: Oh, a year and half.
弗朗西斯卡:噢,一歲半。
Robert: No, you know, I mean kids.
羅伯特:不,我是問孩子多大。
Francesca: Oh, Michael is 17 and Carolyn is 16.
弗朗西斯卡:哦,邁克爾17歲,卡羅琳16歲。
Robert: It's nice to have kids.
羅伯特:有孩子真幸福。
Francesca: Yea, but they are not kids any more. Things change.
弗朗西斯卡:是啊,可他們不再是小孩子了。事物總會變化的。
Robert: They always do. One the law of nature. Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it like it's something that can always count on, then it can be a comfort. It doesn't have many things that you can count on.
羅伯特:事物總是會變化的,這是自然法則。大多數人害怕變化,但如果你把它看成是某種你總是可以依賴的東西的話,那它就能成為一種安慰。世上可依賴的東西并不是很少。
Francesca: Ah, I guess I'm one of those people that frightens anything.
弗朗西斯卡:嗯,我想也是,我害怕變化。
Robert: No, I doubt that.
羅伯特:不,我不信。
Francesca: Why did you say that?
弗朗西斯卡:為什么這么說?
Robert: From Italy to lowa, that's a big change.
羅伯特:從意大利到衣阿華,這可是一個不小的變化。

Francesca: No. But Richard was in the army there. I married him when I was living in Naples, I didn't know anything about lowa. I just cared that it was America, and of course, being with Richardson.
弗朗西斯卡:是啊,但理查德當時在那兒服役。在那不勒斯的時候我嫁給了他,我對衣阿華一無所知。我只關心那兒就是美國,當然,還有和理查森在一起。
Robert: What's he like?
羅伯特:他怎么樣?
Francesca: He is very clean and.
弗朗西斯卡:他非常干凈和……
Robert: Clean?
羅伯特:干凈?
Francesca: Yeah, no. I mean (laugh) he is a very hard worker, very caring, honest. He is gentle, he is good father.
弗朗西斯卡:是的,不,我是說(笑)他工作非常勤奮,關心體貼,真誠老實。他很溫柔,是個好爸爸。
Robert: Clean?
羅伯特:干凈?
Francesca: Yeah.
弗朗西斯卡:是的。
Robert: And you like living in lowa, I guess.
羅伯特:我想你是很喜歡衣阿華的生活。
Francesca: Em, yea.
弗朗西斯卡:嗯,是的。