Maria: At ease. Now that there's just us, would you please tell me all your names again and how old you are?
瑪麗亞:(對孩子們)稍息。現在只剩下我們了,請你們再報一下名字和年齡,好嗎?
Liesl: I'm Liesl. I'm 16 years old, and I don't need a governess.
麗莎:我叫麗莎,十六歲。我不需要家庭教師。
Maria: I'm glad you told me, Liesl. We'll just be good friends.
瑪麗亞:很高興你能告訴我,麗莎。我們會成為好朋友的。
Friedrich: I'm Friedrich. I'm 14. I'm impossible.
弗雷德里克:我叫弗雷德里克,十四歲。我是個無可救藥的人。
Maria: Really? Who told you that, Friedrich?
瑪麗亞:真的嗎?誰說的?弗雷德里克?
Friedrich: Fraulein Josephine. Four governesses ago.
弗雷德里克:倒數第四個家庭教師,約瑟芬小姐說的。
Louisa: I'm Brigitta.
布姬塔:我叫布姬塔。
Maria: You didn't tell me how old you are, Louisa.
瑪麗亞:露易莎,你還沒告訴我你多大了。
Brigitta: I'm Brigitta. She's Louisa. She's 13 years old, and you're, smart. I'm 10 and I think your dress is the ugliest one I ever saw.
布姬塔:我叫布姬塔,她是路易莎。她今年才十三歲,你真聰明。我十歲了。你穿的衣服是我看過的最丑陋的。
Kurt: Brigitta, you shouldn't say that.
庫特:布姬塔,別這么說。
Brigitta: Why not? Don't you think it's ugly?
布姬塔:為什么?難道你不覺得它很丑嗎?
Kurt: Of course. But Fraulein Helga's was ugliest. I'm Kurt. I'm 8. I'm incorrigible.
庫特:當然,不過海爾德小姐的衣服最丑。我是庫特,八歲,是個積習難改的人。
Maria: Congratulations.
瑪麗亞:恭喜你。
Marta: What's incorrigible?
瑪塔:你不懂“積習難改”的意思嗎?
Maria: I think it means you want to be treated like a boy.
瑪麗亞:我想它的意思是你想得到孩子般的對待。

Marta: I'm Marta, and I'm going to be seven on Tuesday. I'd like a pink parasol.
瑪塔:我叫瑪塔,星期二就滿七歲了,我想要一把粉紅色的陽傘。
Maria: Pink's my favorite color too. Yes, you're Giret. And you're five years old? My, you're practically a lady. I have to tell you a secret. I've never been a governess.
瑪麗亞:粉色也是我最喜歡的顏色。哦,你是格里塔了,五嗎?天,你真是個小淑女,我告訴你們一個秘密,我從沒當過家庭教師。
Louisa: You don't know anything about being a governess?
露易莎:你根本不知道該怎樣當一名家庭教師?
Maria: Nothing. I'll need lots of advice.
瑪麗亞:是的,我需要你們多給些建議。
Louisa: The best way to start is to shout to our father to mind his own business.
露易莎:最好一開始就告訴父親不要多管閑事。
Friedrich : You must never come to dinner on time.
弗雷德里克:吃飯時沒必要準時。
Brigitta: Never eat your soup quietly.
布姬塔:喝湯時,必須出聲。
Kurt: During dessert, always blow your nose.
庫特:吃點心時得不停地擤鼻子。
Giret: Don't listen to them, Fraulein Maria.
格里塔:瑪麗亞小姐,別聽他們的。
Maria: Oh, why not?
瑪麗亞:為什么不呢?
Giret: Because I like you.
格里塔:因為我喜歡你。
Frau Schmidt: All right now, children, outside for your walk. Father's orders. Hurry up. Quick, quick, quick.
施密德太太:好了,孩子們,父親命令你們出去散步。快焦點!快!快!快!
Frau Schmidt: Fraulein Maria, I'm Frau Schmidt, the housekeeper.
施密德太太:瑪麗亞小姐,我是施密德太太,這兒的管家。
Maria: How do you do?
瑪麗亞:你好!
Frau Schmidt: How do you do? I'll show you to your room. Follow me.
施密德太太:你好!我?guī)闳タ纯茨愕姆块g,跟我來吧。
Maria: Poor little dears.
瑪麗亞:可憐的小家伙們。