場景 4
Red: What the hell's going on?
瑞德:這是怎么了?
Snooze: You tell me, One second he was fine, then out came the knife.
史努茲:你自己看吧,剛才還好好的,一眨眼的工夫他就掏出刀子來了。
Red: Brooks, Brooks, we can talk about this right?
瑞德:老布,老布,我們談談怎么樣?
Brooks: Nothing left to talk about! It's damn all talked out! I'm gonna kill him, cut his throat!
老布:沒有什么好說的!該說的都說完了!我要殺了他,割開他的喉嚨!
Red: Hey, wait, wait! What's he done to you?
瑞德:等等,他怎么你了。
Brooks: It's what they done! I got, I got no choice!
老布:是他們,我沒有別的選擇了。
Andy: Brooks, you're not gonna hurt Heywood, we all know that. Even Heywood knows it, right Heywood?
安迪:老布,你不會傷害海姆德的,我們都明白,他自己也清楚這一點,是吧,海姆德?
Heywood: Sure I know that. Sure.
海姆德:當然,我,當然知道。
Andy: You know why you're not gonna hurt him ? Because he's a friend of yours, because Brooks Hatlen is a reasonable man.
安迪:你知道你為什么不會傷害他嗎?因為他是你的朋友,因為老布你是一個理智的人。
Red: That's right. That's right! Is that right, guys?
瑞德:完全正確,完全正確,大家說是不是啊?
Andy: So put the knife down. Brooks, Brooks, look at me. Put the knife down Brooks, look at his neck, for God's sake. Look at his neck. He 's bleeding.
安迪:所以放下刀,老布,老有,看著我!把刀子放下!我的天啊,看看他的脖子,都在流血了!
Brooks: But it's the only way... the only way they'd let me stay.
老布:可這是唯一的方法……我只有這么做他們才會讓我留在這里面。
Andy: This is crazy. Come on. You don't wanna do this. Put it down. Look at me. Take it easy. You'll be all right.
安迪:真是瘋了。來吧,你不會傷害他的,放下,看著我,別緊張,沒事的。

Heywood: Him? What about me Crazy old foot! Goddamn near cut my throat!
海姆德:他沒事,那我呢?老瘋子!差點割破我的喉嚨。
Red: You've had it worse from shaving. What the hell did you do to set him off anyway?
瑞德:算了,你刮胡子刮破了有時候比這還厲害呢!你干什么了,把他給激怒了?
Heywood: I didn't do nothin'! Just came in to say fare-thee-well. Ain't you heard? His parole came through!
海姆德:我什么也沒有干!就是進來跟他道了個別。你們聽說了嗎,他假釋通過了。
Andy: I just don't understand what happened in there, that's all.
安迪:我真不明白這里面是怎么回事!
Heywood: old man's crazy as a rat in a tin shit house, is what.
海姆德:老瘋子,跟屎罐里的耗子沒什么區別,就這么簡單。
Red: Heywood, that's enough out of you.
瑞德:海姆德,夠了,說得過了。
Con: I heard he had you shitting your pants.
囚犯甲:聽說你嚇得尿褲子了?
Heywood: Fuck you!
海姆德:去你的。
Red: You do knock it off! Brooks ain't no bug. He 's just... he's just institutionalized.
瑞德:你們別鬧了,老布不是瘋子,他,他只不過是被體制化了。
Heywood: Institutionalized, my ass.
海姆德:體制化了,什么鬼話。
Red: The man's been in here fifty years. Heywood, fifty years! This is all he knows. In here, he's an important man He's an educated man. Outside, he's nothing but a used-up con with arthritis in both hands. Ply couldn't get a library card if he tried. You know what I'm trying to say?
瑞德:他在監獄里待了50年了,海姆德,50年啊,他只知道這里的事。在這兒,他是個人物,他有教養:出去了他什么都不是,只不過是個滿手都是關節炎的老罪犯。甚至連個圖書證都申請不到。你知道我在說什么嗎?
Floyd: Red, I do believe you're talking out of your ass.
佛羅伊德:瑞德,你簡直就是在胡說八道。
Red: You believe whatever you want, Floyd. But I'm telling you these walls are funny. First you hate'em, then you get used to'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on 'em. That's "institutionalized".
瑞德:你隨便吧,佛羅伊德,但是我告訴你這些高墻是很奇怪的,剛開始你恨它們,然后你習慣了。時間長了,你就產生依賴性了,這就是被體制化了。
Jigger: Shit. I could never get like that.
吉格爾:屁話,我可不喜歡這。
Ernie: Oh, yeah? Say that when you've been here as long as Brooks has.
格爾尼:真的嗎?當你待的時間跟老師一樣長時再說吧。
Red: Goddamn right, They send you here for life, and that's exactly what they take. Pact that counts, anyway.
瑞德:太正確了。他們就是讓你在這里度過余生,奪走你生命中有價值的東西。