Since I was the only black kid at my school,
自從我成了這個學校唯一的 黑人小孩
I thought people stared at me all the time
我覺得所有人都在注意 我的一舉一動
because they were fascinated with me.
因為他們對我很感興趣
Check it out. His skin.
看他的皮膚
Was your hair always like this?
你的頭發永遠這樣嗎?
Do you know Gary Coleman?
你知道Gary Coleman? (Gary Coleman:黑人演員)
But I found out they were just scared of me.
但是我發現他們只不過是害怕我
She didn't come out of that classroom for a whole week.
她整整一星期都沒從那間教室出來
Can you tell me what's going on?
你能告訴我這到底出什么事了?
There's rumor about the fight.
對那場架有個謠言
I had a fight with Caruso, the school bully.
我和Caruso干了一架, 那個欺軟怕硬的家伙
He beat me so bad,
他把我打得很慘
I had to take the Underground Railroad home.
害我不得不坐地鐵回家
Fight! Fight!
打啊!打啊!
But somehow that story turned into this story.
但不知怎么的那個故事 換成了另一個版本
Chris hit him in the jaw so hard, my tooth fell out.
Chris一記重拳打在他下巴上, 我牙都掉下來了
Chris knocked Caruso's eye out,
Chris打得Caruso眼睛快掉出來了
put it back, and then knocked it out again.
放進去,然后再接著打出來
Chris beat the snot out of him.
Chris打得他鼻涕亂飛
You can check his nose-- no snot!
你去看他的鼻子—沒有鼻涕了!
Chris chased him home, knocked out his family,
Chris追著他回家, 把他全家都打了一頓,
then took their house
然后占領了他們的房子
Now, when a rumor like this gets started,
當這種謠言一旦傳出
you never know where it's going to end up.
你永遠無法知道怎樣收尾
Are you sure about this?
你確定是這樣的嗎?
Yes, sir. After Chris kicked his teeth out, he said,
是的,老師. Chris把他打得滿地找牙后, 他說,
"And I better not see you trying to smile, cracker."
"最好別再笑了,鄉巴佬."
Cracker...
鄉巴佬...
Yes, sir. Cracker
是的,老師. 鄉巴佬
Dr. Raymond was the school principal,
Raymond博士 是校長
and the last thing I needed
而最后我需要的致命一擊
was for him to think I was making trouble.
就是讓他認為 我在制造麻煩
Thanks kid.
謝謝,孩子
That kid snitched so much,
這孩子真能打小報告,
he made more money than the teachers.
他比老師掙得還多
Raise it up.
舉起來
Higher. Higher!
高點!高點
Right there, it's good.
保持住,好的
All right.
不錯
My brother Drew loved karate, and he didn't take lessons.
我弟弟Drew喜愛空手道 不過他沒有報班
All he had to do was see somebody do something,
他所要做得就是看別人怎么做
and then he could copy it.
然后他再模仿他們
Today, you'd call that a "music producer."
如今, 你會稱這種人為 "音樂制作人"
Chris! Breathe, breathe!
Chris! 吸氣, 吸氣!
Ahhhh...
啊哦哦哦...
What are you doing?
你干嘛呢?
Practicing karate.
練空手道
What are you going to do with karate?
你練空手道干嘛用?
My father didn't see the reason of learning anything
我老爸覺得學什么都沒用
that didn't get you a job.
如果所學的不能幫你找份工作
Chris? So how's school, Chris?
學校怎么樣,
You working on anthropology or paleontology,
你學人類學或者古生物學
something complicated, I bet.
肯定挺復雜的, 我猜
My mother thought I was learning all kinds of things
我媽媽認為我什么都學
cause I went to a white school.
'因為我上了白人的學校 '
Nope, it's just regular arithmetic.
不嘻, 只是普通的數學而已
Y'all hear that?
你們聽聽
White kids are working on arithmetic.
白人小孩在學數學
Around here, they're still doing math.
咱這兒,還在學算術呢
My mother always thought
我媽媽總認為
bigger words meant something better.
書面用語意味著更高級
Okay, say the blessing, baby.
好的,禱告吧,寶貝
Where's the meat?
肉呢?
We don't have any.
我們沒有了
Didn't you buy some porchops?
你沒買排骨嗎?
No, that meat was too expensive.
沒有,太貴了
I know we got some canned Spam or some Vienna sausage
我知道有一些午餐肉罐頭或者維也納香腸
or bacon... or beef jerky. Some...
一些熏肉... 一些牛肉干.... 一些...
mean, what kind of meal is that without meat?
什么樣的晚餐能缺了肉啊?
It's a vegetarian meal.
素食者的晚餐
Do I look like a vegetarian to you?
你看我哪像素食者了?
I work 60 hours a week.
我一周工作60個小時
I lift papers and boxes all night.
我一整晚要搬紙和箱子
I don't want vegetables. I need meat.
我不想吃菜,我想吃肉
Didn't you get paid today?
你今天沒領薪水嗎?
I quit my job yesterday.
我昨天辭職了
Oh, I need you to be home
哦, 星期三你得
early on Thursday
給我早點回家
so I can pick up my check.
我好去領薪水
How come you quit?
你怎么辭職了?
Julius. They were disrespecting me, Julius.
他們不尊重我,
My father always worked two jobs,
我爸爸總做兩份工
which made my mother so comfortable,
這讓我媽覺得很舒服
she'd quit her job over anything.
她會因為任何理由辭職
Check, please?
請買單
And I mean anying.
我是說任何事
Now, do I look like I have your check?
聽著, 我看起來像有你單的嗎?
All that hollering at people.
動不動就沖人吼
I don't need this.
我不需要這個
My husband has two jobs.
我老公打兩份工
I don't need to be here right now.
我根本不用非在這兒不可
Hold my calls.
別掛啊
Who are you hollering at?
你沖誰嚷嚷哪?
"Hold my calls."
"別掛啊"
Hold your own damn call!
自己拿著電話!
I do not need this!
我不需要這個!
My man has two jobs!
我老公打兩份工!
My mother seemed to always
我媽媽似乎總能找到工作
find work when she needed it,
在她需要的時候
so my father didn't complain that much.
所以我爸沒怎么抱怨
That's okay, baby.
沒什么的, 寶貝
I guess all those other people are just crazy.
我猜那些人全都瘋了
That look means "I know I'm wrong,
那個眼神的意思是 "我知道錯了,
"but I'll be damned if I'll admit it."
但如果我認錯的話 就糗大了
How about steak sauce?
牛排調料醬如何?
We got steak sauce?
我們有牛排調料醬?
Hey, killer.
嘿,殺手
Oh! Oh...!
噢! 噢...!
I've heard what you've been saying, Meadowlark.
我都知道你是怎么說的了,小黃鶯
What? I haven't been saying anything!
什么?我什么都沒說!
You don't think I have enough problems
你是不是覺得我麻煩還不夠多
without people thinking
大家都認為我在
I'm going around stomping other people's teeth out?
四處找人打架
Do I need that?!
我需要這樣嗎?!
Then who's been saying it then?
那是誰說的?
There's "Got your back" guys and "I'll be back" guys.
既有"站你身后挺你" 的哥們 也有"藏你身后逃跑" 的哥們