Lightman: The attack on Foster was predictable. I should have seen that coming.
對Foster的襲擊是可預見的。我應該能想到的。
Jenkins: Can't always be one step ahead.
你不能總是先人一步。
Lightman: Yeah, but I'm a man of science. Shouldn't have lost it like that.
對,但我是科學家。不應該就這樣疏忽了。
Jenkins: You were trying to show off for your little protégé. Show you were still Number One.
你想在你的小跟班面前炫耀。證明你還是老大。
But you got carried away, and...now she's walking all over you.
但是你過頭了,現在她凌駕你之上了。
Lightman: And I suppose your protégé wouldn't act out like that, right?
你的跟班應該不會這么做,對吧?
Torres: He's comparing me to the copycat.
他拿我和模仿殺手相提并論。
Jenkins: Short leash. That's the key.
短鏈。這才是關鍵。
Lightman: When I first met Torres, she was screening carry-ons at the airport for 12 bucks an hour.
我第一次見到Torres的時候她拿著12塊錢的時薪,在機場檢查隨身行李。
Now barely four months later, she's breaking up with me.
現在還沒到四個月,她就要和我鬧翻了。
Jenkins: Maybe she likes me better.
也許她更喜歡我。
Lightman: No, I'm not talking about romance here.
不,我說的不是愛情。
This is the third phase of the mentor- protégé relationship-- separation.
這是導師和學徒關系的第三個階段——分道揚鑣。
Phase one--initiation, establishing shared interests.
第一階段是初始階段,建立共同興趣愛好。
Jenkins: Like falling in love.
和相愛一樣。
Lightman: Phase two's even better. Mutual growth, high productivity. Could go on for years.
第二階段更棒。相互成長,高產率。可以持續很多年。
And then one day, the protégé surpasses the mentor. He closed.
然后有一天,青出于藍而勝于藍。他結束了。
Loker: Jenkins' heart rate is through the roof. He's not a happy camper.
Jenkins的心跳飛速。他很不高興。
Lightman: Murder's all over the news. He's even got a nickname. He's the "Capital Killer." He's more famous than you are now, so...
現在所有新聞都在報道這起謀殺。他都有外號了呢,人稱"首都殺手"。他現在比你還出名。