第一、詞匯學習
1. wit c.n. 才智,悟性
e.g. He hadn't the wits/wit enough to realize the danger.
他悟性差, 沒有意識到存在的危險。
He hadn't the wit to say no.
他笨得連說一句拒絕的話都不會說。
2. whimsy c.n. 奇異的念頭或興致;奇想
e.g. It is one of her bizarre whimsies.
她的一個古怪的念頭。
3. column c.n.(報紙的)專欄
e.g. I always read her column in the local paper.
我經常在當地報紙上看她的專欄文章。
4 rarely adv.很少, 難得
e.g. The leader rarely shows herself in public.
這位領導她很少在公眾場合露面。
第二、短語學習
1. cut something off:砍掉某物
e.g. If you fail to pay and they'll cut off the electricity.
你如果不付款,他們就要斷電。
e.g. He cut off the dragon's head with one stroke of his sword.
他一刀就砍斷了龍頭。
2. make room:騰出空間
e.g. The whole village moved away to make room for the construction.
整個村子遷走,給這項建設讓地。
e.g. Can you make room on that shelf for more books?
你能在那個架子上騰出些地方再放些書嗎?
3. draw the line:加以限制
e.g. I'm sorry but that's where I draw the line; I won't help him to cheat.
對不起,我只能做到這一步,我不能幫助他行騙。
e.g. I don't mind a little fun every now and then among friends, but I draw the line at looseness.
我不反對朋友們偶爾在一起歡樂一下,但要有分寸,不能放蕩。
4. somewhere else:別的地方
e.g. I would take the money out of the bank and invest it somewhere else.
我會把錢從銀行取出來把它投資倒別的地方。
e.g. Go and find a lee somewhere else if it's too fresh.
你要是嫌太涼快,你自己找個背風的地方去得了。
5. remind somebody of something:提醒某人某事
e.g. I'm cowardly about things that remind me of myself.
我對那些使我回憶起往事的東西總感到膽怯。
e.g. Now that you remind me of this matter, I have a vague impression of it.
這事經你一提醒, 我腦子里才有點兒影子。
6. return on something:某事上的回報
e.g. You'll get a good return on these shares.
投資這種股票可獲優厚利潤。
e.g. They received a poor return on their investment.
他們的投資獲利甚微。
7. think something over:考慮
e.g. You had better think over the matter at your leisure.
你最好有空的時候把那事情仔細想一下。
e.g. I'll think over your suggestion again.
我將再次仔細考慮你的建議。
7. for a bit:短時間,一會兒,暫時
e.g. Can we slow down and walk for a bit? I'm getting a stitch.
咱們放慢速度步行一會兒好嗎? 我覺得腰部突然一陣劇痛。
e.g. I'd lay off stirring up trouble for a bit if I were you.
要是我是你的話,我就暫時不去捅簍子。
第三、實用口語
1. 表示我們投資多少錢做某事,可以套用下面這個句型
Sb put some money to do something.
句型操練:She has put a lot of money to make her book be published.
她投資了一大筆錢出版她的書籍。
源于臺詞:I'm putting a lot of money in the company.
3. 表我某人經常,時常,老是做某事,可以套用這個句型:
Sb rarely waste an opportunity to do something.
句型操練:She rarely waste an opportunity to speak ill of me.
她老是在背后誹謗我。
源于臺詞:You rarely waste an opportunity to remind us of that fact.
3 表示某人把自己的意思,觀點或意見等表達得很清楚了,可以套用這個句型:
Sb makes his opinions clear.
句型操練:I have made my opinions very clear and don’t ask me any more.
我已經把我的觀點說清楚了,不要再問我了。
源于臺詞:You've both made your opinions very clear.