詞匯回顧:
1. thermos: 熱水瓶 pour: 倒,傾瀉
2. embarrassed: 尷尬的
3. waver: 顫抖
4. disgusting: 令人厭惡的
5. startled: 震驚
6. switch: 轉變,切換
7. Catholic: 天主教的
8. distraught: 煩惱的,心痛的
短語學習:
1.at the sink: 在水槽邊sink: 污水槽
2.heads up:(常用作提醒他人的驚嘆語)當心!注意!
eg. She just wants to give her fellow Aussies a heads up, that’s all.
她想要做的只是給她的澳洲同胞們帶一個頭,僅此而已。
eg. Heads up! This is the only Full Moon all year at high noon in your chart.
注意了,本周滿月出現在你星座位置的正午,一年僅此一次。
eg. If the coin is heads up to begin with, it's more likely to land on heads.
如果硬幣是頭朝上往上拋,那么很有可能掉下來時也是頭朝上。
3.the other day: 前幾天
eg. I saw him in London the other day.
我最近有一天在倫敦見過他。
eg. Every Sunday we go to the Sangone. The other day, a trout this big.
每個星期天我們都會去桑戈內河,有一天,我們看到了一條這么大的鱒魚。
4.hit on:本文中是“調戲”的意思,另還有“偶然發現;忽然想到”的意思
eg. Tom, don't hit on girls when you go to the bar with your roommates today, or you never see me again.
湯姆,今天你和室友去酒吧可不要對別的女孩子獻殷勤哦,否則你就再也見不到我了!
5.take it: 默然同意;接受
6.we kicked your butts: 我們痛宰了你們
7. swoop: 突然,突然行動swoop in: 乘虛而入
eg. There are few investors ready to swoop in to keep cash-strapped companies running.
很少有投資者愿意保持一個現金拮據的企業運行。
eg. This hero of the skies is always ready to swoop in for the rescue.
這個翱翔天空的英雄時刻準備著撲身而下進行施救。
8.pick up the pieces: 收拾殘局
eg. They can pick up the pieces, reshuffle the deck and create together the relationship of both of their dreams — at any age.
他們可以收拾殘局,修復感情,然后一起創建他們夢想中的美好關系——無論什么年紀。
9.usher in: 迎來,開始usher: 引導,帶領
eg. I believe we need to usher in a new era of responsibility.
我相信我們需要迎接一個負責任的新紀元。
eg. If art and light usher in calm, then for one week each year, the Old City of Jerusalem fosters that aura.
如果藝術和燈光引進了平靜的理念,那么每年一周,這座古老的城市——耶路撒冷就形成了那種氛圍。