Landon說服了Jamie的父親,與Jamie共度美好的第一次約會之夜。之后兩個人常常相約一起去野外看星星。Landon的母親并不了解這一次Landon究竟有多認真,于是出言提醒。從Landon的回答中,母親聽出了Landon的變化和決心。只是,在一切都在向最好的方向發展之時,Landon卻聽到了噩耗。
Mother: Did you just get in? 你剛剛回來?
Landon: Yeah. 是的。
Mother: Thank heavens I didn't know. I'd have been panicked. 感謝上帝我不知道你才回來,要不我都得暈過去。
Landon: Sorry. 對不起。
Mother: Landon, were you with Jamie? Landon, be careful. She's the reverend's daughter. 你和Jamie在一起?Landon,你得小心些。她是牧師的女兒。
Landon: Mom…媽媽……
Mother: Please! 拜托!
Landon: It's different with her. 她不一樣。
Mother: It's different with her. 她不一樣。
Landon: Yes. 是的。
Mother: It better be different with her. I was doing laundry the other day, and I found this." Examine a moon rock. Go to college. Get into medical school." Honey, these are really beautiful ambitions. There…But you gonna have to work really hard. 最好她是不一樣的。那天我洗衣服,看到了這個。“探測一塊月球的巖石。去大學。進醫學院。”親愛的,這些都是很美好的愿望。但是你得非常努力去爭取。
Landon: I can do that. 我可以做到。
Mother: Yeah, you can. 是的。你可以。
Landon: Mama...Jamie has faith in me. You know? She makes me want to be different. Better. 媽媽,Jamie對我有信心。你知道嗎?她讓我想改變,想變的更好。
…
(Landon’s ex-girlfriend) I was so drunk, I don't remember anything. 我喝醉了。什么都不記得。
Landon: That's great. Citizen high to citizen low. Are you worried about your college applications? 好極了,上等公民變成了下等公民。你在擔心自己的大學申請?
Jamie: No. I'm not applying a college. 不,我不會申請大學。
Landon: I thought you said…我以為你說……
Jamie: No, you assumed. 不,那是你假設的。
Landon: Take a year off, try the Peace Corps thing? 休學一年,去參加和平部隊?
Jamie: No. 不是。
Landon: What are you going to do? 那你打算干什么?
Jamie: I'm sick. 我病了。
Landon: I'll take you home, you'll be better to… 那我送你回家,明天你就能好些……
Jamie: No, Landon! I'm sick. I have leukemia. 不,Landon! 我病了。我得了白血病。
Landon: No. You're 18, you're perfect. 不,你才18,你這么完美。
Jamie: No. I found out two years ago. I've stopped responding to treatments. 不,兩年前就發現了。我已經停止了治療。
Landon: So why didn't you tell me? 你怎么不告訴我。
Jamie: The doctor said I should go on and live life normally, as best as I could. I didn't want anybody to be weird around me. 醫生說,我應該像平常人那樣生活,盡我所能。我不想別人把我當成怪物。
Landon: Including me? 包括我?
Jamie: Especially you! I was getting along with everything fine. I accepted it, and then you happened! I do not need a reason to be angry with God. 特別是你!我已經習慣了自己一個人。我接受它,可是你出現了。我不想因為這個理由對上帝憤怒。
對話中Landon說,Jamie makes me want to be different. Better. 因為另一個人的存在而希望自己有所改變,并且變的更好。生命中有這樣一段傾心之戀,歲月長短也許變的不再重要。一起來看看這一段中的幾處語言點。
Do laundry. Laundry “待洗的衣物”,do laundry就是最常用的表示“洗衣服”的表達法。其實,在英美等國,很少會用wash my clothes表達洗衣服。
在問及Jamie未來的打算時,Landon很驚訝地得知Jamie沒有上大學的打算,于是問一直醉心公益的Jamie是不是要Try the Peace Corps thing. Peace Corps 是一個固定詞組,和平部隊。這個組織是由美國肯尼迪總統發起的,將受過訓練的志愿人士送到發展中國家提供技術服務。
Jamie將實情說出。自己兩年前患了白血病,目前已經stop responding to treatment. Respond to, “對……起反應”,也就是治療已經不見效果。再比如:He failed to respond to the medicine. 他服了藥,但未見起色。
了解了真相的Landon在之后的日子里盡自己最大的努力完成Jamie的心愿,親手為她做了一個精度更高的望遠鏡。并在一起看星星的夜晚向Jamie求婚。因為Jamie此生最大的心愿就是在爸爸媽媽結婚的小教堂舉行自己的婚禮。
好了,本期我們暫時聽到這里。下期,我們為這場雖有傷感卻從某種程度來說更完美的初戀畫個句號吧。我們下期再見。