Daughter: Something's driving me crazy, and I can't sleep. 有些事使我不安,我睡不著。
Mother: What's on your mind? 想些什么呢?
Daughter: Santa Claus. 圣誕老人。
Mother: Mr. Kringle? Why, what about him? 克林果先生?他怎么?
Daughter: He talked sign language with a kid today. 他今天與一個孩子打手語。
Mother: Well, that was considerate of him. 那是他體諒人。
Daughter: It's weird how he knows so much about toys and kids. He speaks Russian and Swahili. 真怪,他怎么非常了解玩具和孩子。他會說俄羅斯語和斯瓦希里語。
Mother: Well, he must be quite a learned man. 他一定是了不得的學者。
Daughter: He looks exactly like every picture of Santa Claus I ever saw. 他看起來完全象我見的每張圣誕老人像。
Mother: Yes, I know. That's why I chose him. 這也就是為什么我選擇了他。
Daughter: You're positive he's not the real Santa Claus? 你確信他不是真實的圣誕老人?
Mother: I thought that we talked about this. You understand what he is. 我想我們談過這個事兒。你明白他是什么。
Daughter: What if we're wrong? That would be extremely rude. 要是我們錯了呢?那就太沒禮貌了。
Mother: Well, we're not wrong sweetheart. 不會,寶貝。
Daughter: But all my friends believe in Santa Claus. 但我的朋友都相信圣誕老人。
Mother: Well, most children your age do. 多數你這種年齡的孩子都相信。
Daughter: How come I don't ? 我怎么不相信?
Mother: Because you know the truth, and truth is one of the most important things in the world. To know the truth and to always be truthful with others and, more importantly, with yourself. Believing in myths and fantasies just makes you unhappy. 因為你知道事實。事實是世界上最重要的。知道事實、待人誠實對自己都很重要。相信童話和幻想,只會使自己不開心。
Daughter: Did you believe in Santa Claus when you were my age? 你是我這么大的時候相信圣誕老人?
Mother: Yes. 嗯。
Daughter: Were you unhappy? 你不開心嗎?
Mother: Well, when all the things that I believed in turned out not to be true, yes, I was unhappy. 當我相信的事情變得不是真實的時候我是有些不開心。
Daughter: Would it be OK if I thought about this more? Do I have to not believe in Santa Claus right away? 是否我不想這個問題就會沒事呢?我必須馬上不相信圣誕老人嗎?
Mother: Come here. You have the right to believe whatever you want to believe. Now, I've told you the truth, but if I'm wrong, I will be glad to admit it. I'll tell you what. You ask Mr. Kringle for something that you would never ask me for. And if on Christmas morning you don't get it, you will know once and for all the honest truth about Santa Claus. 過來。你有權相信你想要相信的。我告訴了你事實,我若錯了,我會很樂意承認。你可以去問克林果先生一些你沒問過我的話。圣誕早上你就能得到答案。你最終會知道圣誕老人的事實。
Daughter: That's a very clever idea. 這是一個很好的主意!
Mother: Thank you. Think you can get some sleep? 你能睡覺了嗎?
Daughter: Yep. 好的。
Mother: Yeah? Give me a kiss. 吻我。
Daughter: Good night.I love you. 晚安,我愛你。
Mother: I love you. 我愛你。