背景介紹:Penny和Howard陪著Sheldon去車管局考駕照。此刻他們正排隊交申請表。
Woman:Take this to the testing area, put your name at the top, sign the bottom, answer the questions, bring it back. Next. Application?
帶這個去測試區,在上面寫上名字,下面簽字,回答完問題交回來,下一個,申請?
Sheldon:I'm actually more of a theorist.
我實際上更多是理論家。
(application是“申請表”的意思,也有“應用”、“應用學”之意。工作人員是問Sheldon“申請表呢?”,而他卻以為人家再問他是不是搞應用學的。其實他是個理論物理學家。)
Howard:The application in your hand. Give it to her.
是說你手里的申請表。給她。
Woman:Take this to the testing area, Put your name at the top, sign the bottom, answer the questions, bring it back. Next!
帶這個去測試區,在上面寫上名字,下面簽字,回答完問題交回來,下一個!
Sheldon:Excuse me, but I have some concerns about these questions.
抱歉,對這些問題我有些疑問。
Woman:Look at that sign up there.
看看那的牌子。
Sheldon:Yes?
怎么了?
Woman:Does it say "I give a damn"?
上面寫了"我在乎"嗎?
Sheldon:No.
沒。
Woman:That's because I don't.
那是因為我不在乎。
(give a damn 同give a shit,是一個不太禮貌的說法,表示“關心、在乎”)
Sheldon:Just look. See, this first question makes no sense.
看啊,第一個問題就說不通。
“Should you leave in front of you when driving?”
“你開車時車距應該保持幾個車身?”
There's no possible way to answer that. A "car length" is not a standardized unit of measure.
沒有可能能回答這個問題。車身長不是個標準化的度量單位。
Woman:Look at the sign.
看看那個牌子......
Penny:Sheldon, it's "c.”just put down "c."
Sheldon答案是"C" ,就寫"C"。
Sheldon:I don't need your help, penny.
我不需要你的幫忙Penny。
Woman:Listen to that little girl, honey. Put "c." next!
聽那個小姑娘的寶貝寫上"C"。下一個!
Sheldon:No, wait! No, hang on. Look at this next question.
別,等下,等等。看看下一個問題。
Howard:Sheldon, why are you arguing with the DMV?
Sheldon你為何要和車管局爭執?
Sheldon:How else are they going to learn?
否則他們怎么進步?