1. as...as...“和...一樣”,兩個as之間用形容詞或副詞;
Your pen writes as smoothly as mine.你的鋼筆書寫起來和我的一樣流暢。
She looks as pretty as before.她看起來和以前一樣漂亮。
情景對話:
A: How about his spoken English? 他的英語口語怎樣?
B: As fluent as yours. 跟你的一樣流利。
2. out of control “不受控制”;out of one's control “是某人控制不了的,在某人的控制之外”;
The children are out of control.
管不住這些孩子了。
Inflation has got out of control.
通貨膨脹失去了控制。
We are of different department, so I'm out of your control.
我們屬于不同的部門,所以你是管不了我的。
情景對話:
A: The boys are so noisy, is it out of your control? 這些孩子們真鬧,你難道管不了了嗎?
B: Probably so. 我想是的。
3. point of view “觀點,看法,見解”;
I have some sympathy with that point of view.
我比較贊成這種看法。
If one has an open mind, it is easy to appreciate another's point of view.
如果一個人思想開放,就不難接受他人的觀點。
情景對話:
A: He is really a obstinate man. 他真的很固執。
B: What do you mean that? 你這是什么意思?
A: It's so difficult to persuade him to accept the point of view of others. 讓他接受別人的意見可真難。
4. in case “萬一”,是連詞,后面接條件狀語從句;
Take a hat with you in case the sun is very hot.
倘若太陽很利害,你就把帽子戴上。
Write the telephone number down in case you forget.
把電話號碼寫下來以免忘了。
注意與in case of的區別,后者中的of是介詞,后面只能帶名詞性質的詞,比如名詞、代詞等,in case of 和in case意思相近,都是“差不多,萬一”的意思;
In case of rain they can't go.
萬一下雨,他們就不能去了。
In case of fire, ring the alarm bell.
如遇失火,請按警鈴。
情景對話:
A: What will you do this afternoon? 下午你準備做什么?
B: Shopping in Carrefour, so in case in case you need something, please let me know. 去家樂福購物,你想要什么東西,跟我說一聲。
5. You are kidding? 你在開玩笑吧?
You are kidding me? 你在跟我開玩笑吧?
No kidding! 別當我小孩子耍了!
No kidding at all. 我一點也沒開玩笑。
I was only kidding. 我不過是在開玩笑。
6. turn out”結果是...“;
Things didn't turn out like that.
情況并不是那樣的。
If the day turns out wet we may have to change our plans.
萬一下雨的話,我們也許得改變計劃。
情景對話:
A: How about the party, did it go smoothly? 晚會進行得順利嗎?
B: It turned out to be very successful. 開得很成功。