186.The Ex-con, Pt. 3
186.有前科者(3)
"You're riding high, Butch," Tammy the librarian said.
“你獲得了很大的成功,布奇。”圖書管理員塔米說。
"But don't rest on your oars, you have even more work to do now!"
“可是別歇氣哦,你現在的工作更多了!”
"Thanks Tammy,"Butch said. "The key to my success is that I am now rich in friends.
“謝謝你,塔米。”布奇說。“我成功的關鍵在于我有很多朋友。
That's why I invited you all here tonight! But don't worry; I won't rest on my laurels!
這就是我今天晚上把大家請到這里的原因!不過別擔心,我不會滿足于既得榮譽!
I'll be returning to the fold tomorrow morning, so you keep that desk open for me!"
明天早上我就回老地方,所以你要把那張桌子給我留著!”
They all laughed. "Say Butch," Lou said privately when the others were talking.
大家都笑了。“我說布奇,”趁大家都在交談,羅悄悄問道,
"I meant to ask you if you were really retired from your previous life.
“我一直想問你是否真的脫離了原來的生活。
I mean, I don't want to reveal my hand, but I think I could use a guy like you on a job I'm planning."
我是說,我不想攤牌,可我認為我可以用一個你這樣的人做一件我正計劃著的事情。”
Butch's heart stopped cold. "Lou, you're riding for a fall if you want to do something criminal.
布奇的心突然一緊。“羅,如果你想干壞事,你就是自找麻煩。
It won't result in anything good! And I won't have anything to do with it!
不會有好結果的!我不會惹火上身的。
Don't ever talk to me about anything like that again!"
別再跟我說這樣的事了!”
"Whoa, whoa," Lou said, "don't revolt against me, buddy. There's no rhyme or reason to get upset here!
“好啦,好啦,”羅說,“別反感,朋友。沒有道理在這里生氣!
I didn't know you were so sensitive about it!
我不知道你對這事這么敏感!
I just thought that with all the knowledge you must have gained as a result from your time in prison, you could help me out a bit!"
我只是想你一定因為蹲監獄而學了不少知識,可以幫我干點事呢!”
Butch stood up and said, "Please restrict your conversations to school topics from now on, Lou. Or I won't be calling you my friend anymore!"
布奇起身說道:“從現在起請你將談話內容限定在學校范圍內,羅。不然我就不認你這個朋友了!”
"Thanks for returning a compliment with scorn, Butch. Fine!
“謝謝你用拒絕回敬我對你的稱贊,布奇。好!
All of my hopes don't just rest with you! I'll leave you out of it!" "Good!" Butch said.
我辦事并不是完全取決于你!我不會求你的!”“太好啦!”布奇說。