187.The Ex-con, Pt. 4
187.有前科者(4)
Butch was nervous about his conversation with Lou for days.
幾天來,布奇一直為與羅的對話感到不安。
It felt as if his old life was rising up from the ashes to try to swallow him up again!
就好像原來的生活死灰復燃,要再次把他吞噬掉!
At such a time as this, when everything was going so well, it almost made Butch hit rock bottom!
在這種一切都進行得很順利的時候,這事幾乎使他一下跌到了低谷!
But he didn't shoot up or go get drunk.
但他沒有注射毒品或者借酒消愁。
He rose above himself and committed himself not to risk his neck for another fool like Lou.
他戰勝了自己,下決心不為羅這樣一個傻瓜冒險做事。
The next day, at a dinner over roast chicken, Lou walked in.
第二天,他正吃著烤雞,羅進來了。
"Are you really sure you don't want to ride the tiger again?" Lou asked.
“你真的肯定不想再弄得騎虎難下啦?”羅問。
Right off the bat, Butch grabbed Lou and yanked him out the back door into the alley.
布奇毫不猶豫地抓住羅把他從后門拉到了后街。
"Listen, Lou. I'm ready to bust your face right now!
“聽著,羅。我現在就準備給你的臉一拳頭!
I don't care if you think you have some right royal plan!
我才不在乎你是否認為你的計劃很偉大呢!
I've rung down the curtain on those days and I swear,
我已經結束了那種日子,我發誓
I will rip up the remaining shreds of our friendship if you ever ask again!"
只要你再跟我提這樣的要求,我會把我們剩下的那點友誼全給毀了!”
"Time out, Time out," Lou said. "I just thought I'd give you one more chance.
“暫停,暫停,”羅說。“我不過是想再給你一次機會。
You really have raised yourself up above the crowd, Butch. And I'm happy for you!
布奇,你真的已經顯示出你的與眾不同。我替你感到高興!
Now let go of me and let's go back in to eat some chicken!"
現在你放了我,我們一起回去吃點雞肉吧!”
Butch put him down and they went back in. Not a word was spoken about it again that evening.
布奇把他放了下來,他們一起回來了。那天晚上他們沒有再提那個話題。
The next morning, Butch's phone was ringing off the hook.
第二天早晨,布奇的電話響個沒完。
As he picked up the receiver he knew in his gut that it wouldn't be good news.
一抓起聽筒他就從心底里知道肯定不是什么好消息。