152.Make Way for Another Path
152.另辟蹊徑
"Oh, I never thought I would make myself into anything after I failed my second make-up exam!"
"唉,我從來都沒想第二次補考不及格之后我還能成什么氣候!"
Bella said as she walked out of the kitchen into the room.
貝拉從廚房走到房間時說。
"I was sure that it was the end! And it was in a way!
"我確信我完蛋啦!從某種意義上來說我的確是完蛋啦!
All the things that I had mapped out came crashing down; I had no way of making a living,
所有我詳細安排的事情最后都失敗了,我沒有辦法掙錢糊口,
no place where people made me welcome, and no material for what was next!" "I had to start over!"
沒有地方使我感到受歡迎,沒有本錢走下一步路!""我得重新來過!"
"And when I decided to do just that, to make use of every skill I have,
"當我決定重新開始的時候,為了利用我掌握的每一項技能,
I marked down that day as Day one in my new life on my calendar!
我在日歷上把那一天記錄成我的新生活的第一天!
And now look at me! I own the most acclaimed restaurant in New York,
現在你們看看我!我擁有紐約市最受歡迎的餐館,
I make a living that I never dreamed possible and I managed it all without a law degree!"
我做夢也沒想過我會掙這么多錢,沒有法律文憑我照樣打理著一切!"
"So don't think your life will ever be as marked out as you think!
"所以別以為你的生活會永遠像你想像的那樣注定不變。
Make way for other possibilities, other paths, other adventures!"
要勇往直前爭取其他可能性,尋找其他途徑,做其他的冒險!"
Bella continued to her guests, all former classmates who were now lawyers.
貝拉繼續向客人們說道, 他們都是她原來的同學,現在都是律師。
"Well, we've all made way with what we thought was best." one of the lawyers finally added.
"是的,我們都用我們自認為最好的方式向前走。"一位律師最后補充道。
"But you were obviously matched for business more than we are.
"可是你明顯比我們更加適合做生意。
And for that I'm sincerely jealous! I have to deal with bosses and clients. But you are your own boss!"
就因為這一點,我真的很妒忌你!我既要把老板們搞定,還得把客戶們搞定。而你是你自己的老板!"
"And I discovered that I love making it with my own two hands!"
"而且我發現我喜歡用自己的雙手獲得成功!"
Bella answered "I'm just glad we're all still friends."
貝拉回答說。"我很高興大家仍然是朋友。"
"So are we!" The lawyers all answered as they began to eat their meals.
"我們也一樣!"律師們齊聲說,他們開始吃飯了。
"And I know who to call when I need legal help." Bella said with a smile.
"我知道需要法律援助的時候我該找誰了。"貝拉笑著說。