137.The Lab Assistant
137.實驗室助理
"This is a brilliant lab report, Charlie!" The lab assistant said as she handed the paper back to Charlie.
"這是一篇精彩的試驗報告,查理!"實驗室助理把報告還給查理時說。
"You really know what you're talking about!"
"你確實是寫得有理有據!"
"Thanks," Charlie answered. "I know this stuff backwards! I didn't even have to read the laboratory manual!"
"謝謝。"查理回答說。"我對這個東西非常了解!我甚至都不用看試驗說明書!"
"Hmm," the lab assistant said, looking very intently at Charlie.
"嗯"實驗室助理說,她認真地看著查理。
"I thought you were lacking in knowledge in class. You know, you always seem to be lagging behind.
"在班上我還以為你知識貧乏呢。你知道,你總是顯得有些落后。
But now I see that you were just bored, uninterested."
但現在我明白你只是覺得無聊,不感興趣罷了。"
"Nah. I was interested," Charlie replied. "But just for the first week.
"不是的,我感興趣,"查理回答說。"但我的興趣只持續了一周。
I just didn't want to laugh in your face about how simple this stuff all is!"
我只是不想當面嘲笑你,說這個東西是多么簡單!"
"Thanks. Well now that I know the score, how about my challenging you a little bit?
"謝謝。既然我已經了解情況,我向你做個小小的挑戰怎么樣?
I know of a lab experiment that I need help with later on, I'm sure you would like it!" "Sure!"
我知道有個實驗室試驗,以后我需要有人幫忙,我敢肯定你會喜歡的!" "當然!"
The next day at class, Charlie didn't even show up.
第二天上課的時候查理甚至都沒來。
The lab assistant didn't mind, just so long as he came to lab hours.
實驗室助理沒有在意,只要他在實驗室開放的時候來就行了。
When he did show up, last but not least, she was happy. She would really get him to work hard now.
當他真的來了,最后但并非最不重要的是,她很高興。現在她會讓他使勁工作。
She had discovered that it was better to take the wise-ass, know-it-alls under your wing than try to punish them for their insolence. It worked.
她發現與其因為傲慢無禮懲罰他們,不如把這些自以為是、無所不知的家伙保護起來。這辦法還真管用。
Charlie was thoroughly challenged; enjoying the extra work she gave him.
查理受到了徹底的挑戰,他高髙興興地干著她給他額外增加的工作。
The next semester, Charlie was the lab assistant! The lab assistant was promoted to instructor!
到了后面那個學期,查理成了實驗室助理!而原來的實驗室助理晉升成了主任!