32.Two Dates
32.兩個約會
"Aw, Dave. You got me between the devil and the deep blue see here.
“噢,戴夫,你讓我進退兩難了。
If I go to the benefit concert then I'll have to cancel my date with Lisa.
如果我去慈善音樂會,那就得取消和利薩的約會。
And if I don't go to the concert I won't be able to see Karen.
如果不去,那又見不到卡倫了。
I'll lose one or the other tonight!"
今晚我得失去其中一個了!”
"Better luck next time.
“希望你下次運氣會好一點。
Besides, it's not like you're standing between life and death here, Cal.
再說了,這并不是生死抉擇,卡爾。
Both those women are better than the women I date.
兩個女人都比我約會的對象強。
And between you and me, I'd kill you for either one!"
就你我私下說說,我會為其中任何一個殺了你。”
Cal laughed.
卡爾笑了。
"Well, between you, me, and the gatepost, you can have them both!
“好,就你知,我知,天知,地知,她們兩個你都可以要。
They're both pretthy slow in the head, if you know what I mean.
她們兩個都不是太聰明,你應該明白我想說什么。
And therefore below the mark I've set for myself of finding a beautiful and intelligent woman!
我想找個又漂亮又聰明的女人,她倆根本不夠標準。
I only date them, believe it or not, so that I might meet their other beautiful girlfriends in the hope that one of them will be smart.
信不信由你,我和她們約會只是為了能認識其他漂亮女孩,并且希望其中有一個聰明的。
They belong to a certain circle of beauties, you might say."
他們屬于某個美人圈,你可能會說。”
"Man, you're really betwixt and between.
“朋友,你可真夠模棱兩可的。
But I'm sure I'll find some way to benefit from this information.
不過我肯定,我會找到某種辦法從這個信息中受益。
So come on, what are you going to do about tonight?"
那你說吧,你今晚準備怎么應付?”
"Oh, I'm still beside myself as to what to do!
“噢,我還真不清楚該怎么辦呢!
I can't think of any solution that will be beneficial to my search for the perfect woman!"
我想不出任何有助于尋找完美女人的解決辦法!”
"How about dropping them both and going to the library to meet women tonight?"
“你覺得把她們倆都甩掉,今晚到圖書館碰運氣怎么樣?”
Cal laughs again.
卡爾又笑了。
"Do you think a truly beautiful woman would ever belong in a library?
“你認為真正漂亮的女人應該在圖書館嗎?
Well, maybe it's worth a try!
這也許值得一試!
Okay. I'll blow both dates and hang among the books tonight."
好啦,我準備放棄兩個約會,今晚就泡在書里了。”