Understanding Academic Lectures
理解學術講座
Good morning, everybody.
大家早上好。
Now at the university you, as students, are often called on to perform many types of listening tasks:
現在在大學里,你們作為學生,在各種場合下都需要認真聽:
listening in a group discussion, listening to a teacher on a one-to-one basis, and listening to academic lectures.
小組討論中要聽同學說話,一對一聽老師說話,聽學術講座。
So what I'm going to talk about today is what a listener needs to be able to do in order to comprehend an academic lecture efficiently.
我今天要講的是聽眾需要怎么做才能有效地理解學術講座。
OK. What do you need to do in order to understand the lecture?
好。要理解講座,你需要做些什么?
Now there are four things that I'm going to talk about.
我要講四件事。
The first thing is that you need to be aware of all of the parts of the language that carry meaning.
首先,你需要知道語言的所有部分都有意義。
You all know that words carry meaning.
你們都知道詞語是有意義的。
So you've got to be aware of the vocabulary of the language, but there are some other features.
所以你必須注意講座的詞匯,但還有其他一些方面。
For one thing, you need to be aware of stress.
首先,你需要注意重音。
Let me give you an example.
舉個例子。
"I went to the bar."
“我去了酒吧。”
"I went to the bar."
“我去了酒吧。”
It makes a difference.
這就不一樣了。
In the second example, I'm stressing the fact that it was me and not someone else so that this means stress has some meaning.
在第二個例子中,我強調的是我,而不是別人,所以這意味著重音也有意義。
Now the next thing you might want to listen for is intonation.
接下來你需要聽的是語調。
For example, if I say "He came." "He came?"
例如,我說“他來了”。”“他來?”
There are two different meanings.
這是兩種不同的意思。
One is a statement, the other one is a question.
一個是陳述,另一個是提問。
And another thing you need to listen for is rhythm.
還有一點你需要聽,就是節奏。
For instance, "Can you see, Mary?" VS "Can you see Mary?" Dadadadada. Dadadadada.
例如:“你能看見嗎,瑪麗?”和“你能看到瑪麗嗎?”等等。
Those two mean something different.
這兩個意思不同。
In the first one, they are talking directly to Mary, while the second one means"Can you see Mary over there?"
第一個句子中,他們直接和瑪麗說話,第二個意思是,“你能看見瑪麗在那邊嗎?”
Now the next thing you must do when you listen is that you need to add information that the lecturer expects you to add.
還有件事,就是補充講者希望你補充的信息。
All lecturers assume that they share some information with their audience and that their audience does not need them to explain every word.
所有的講者都認為他們和聽眾都掌握了某些信息,聽眾不需要他們逐字解釋。
And listeners have an ability to add this information due to two sources of information.
聽者可以從兩種信息來源獲得信息,所以是可以添加這些信息的。
That is: 1) their knowledge of a particular subject; and 2) their knowledge or experience of the world.
那就是:1)他們對某一特定學科的知識;2)他們的知識或經驗。
So remember, listening is not a matter of just absorbing the speaker's words - the listener has to do more than that.
所以請記住,傾聽并不是僅僅記住講者說的話——聽眾需要做的不止這些。
The listener is not a tape recorder, absorbing the speaker's words and putting them into his or her brain.
聽者不是錄音機,不能只是聽了別人的話并存入大腦中。
Rather, listening involves hearing the speaker's words and reinterpreting them, adding information if necessary.
相反,傾聽包括聽講者說話并重新解釋這些信息,如果有必要的話,還要補充一些信息。
So the meaning is not in the word alone, rather it is in the person who uses it or responds to it
所以,意思并不僅僅存在于詞匯中,還在于詞匯使用者和回應者。
so that the second thing that a listener must do add information that the lecturer assumes that they share.
所以,聽者必須做的第二件事就是補充講者認為大家都知道的信息。