"But sir, the Stone—"
“可是,先生,魔法石——”
"I see you are not to be distracted.
“看來沒法子分散你的注意力。
Very well, the Stone.
好吧,咱們就談談魔法石。
Professor Quirrell did not manage to take it from you.
奇洛教授沒有能夠把它從你手里奪走,
I arrived in time to prevent that,
我及時趕到阻止了他。
although you were doing very well on your own, I must say.
不過我必須說一句,你其實一個人就對付得很好。”
"You got there? You got Hermione's owl?"
“您趕到那兒了?您收到赫敏派貓頭鷹送給您的信了?”
"We must have crossed in midair.
“我和貓頭鷹顯然是在空中錯過了。
No sooner had I reached London than it became clear to me that the place I should be was the one I had just left.
我一到達倫敦,就發現我應該回到我剛剛離開的地方。
I arrived just in time to pull Quirrell off you."
我趕來的恰是時候,正好把奇洛從你身上拉開——”
"It was you."
“原來是您。”
"I feared I might be too late."
“我還擔心已經太晚了。”
"You nearly were,
“差一點兒就來不及了,

I couldn't have kept him off the Stone much longer —"
我已經支撐不了多久,魔法石很快就要被他搶去了——”
"Not the Stone, boy, you — the effort involved nearly killed you.
“不是魔法石,孩子,我指的是你——你為了保衛魔法石差點兒丟了性命。
For one terrible moment there, I was afraid it had.
在那可怕的一瞬間,我嚇壞了,以為你真的死了。
As for the Stone, it has been destroyed."
至于魔法石嘛,它已經被毀掉了。”
"Destroyed?" said Harry blankly.
“毀掉了?”哈利不解地問,
"But your friend — Nicolas Flamel —"
“可是您的朋友——尼可勒梅——”
"Oh, you know about Nicolas?" said Dumbledore, sounding quite delighted.
“哦,你居然還知道尼可?”鄧布利多問道,語氣顯得很高興,
"You did do the thing properly, didn't you?
“你把這件事搞得很清楚,是嗎?
Well, Nicolas and I have had a little chat, and agreed it's all for the best."
是這樣的,尼可和我談了談,我們一致認為這是最好的辦法。”
"But that means he and his wife will die, won't they?"
“可是,那樣一來,他和他妻子就要死了,是嗎?”
"They have enough Elixir stored to set their affairs in order and then, yes, they will die."
“他們存了一些長生不老藥,足夠讓他們把事情料理妥當。然后,是啊,他們會死。”
Dumbledore smiled at the look of amazement on Harry's face.
看到哈利臉上驚愕的表情,鄧布利多不禁露出了笑容。
"To one as young as you, I'm sure it seems incredible,
“我知道,對像你這樣年紀輕輕的人來說,這似乎有些不可思議;
but to Nicolas and Perenelle, it really is like going to bed after a very, very long day.
但是對尼可和佩雷納爾來說,死亡實際上就像是經過漫長的一天之后,終于上床休息了。
After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
而且,對于頭腦十分清醒的人來說,死亡不過是另一場偉大的冒險。
You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing.
你知道,魔法石其實并不是多么美妙的東西。
As much money and life as you could want!
有了它,不論你想擁有多少財富、獲得多長壽命,都可以如愿以償!
The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is,
這兩樣東西是人類最想要的——問題是,
humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."
人類偏偏就喜歡選擇對他們最沒有好處的東西。”