Harry struggled against the ropes binding him, but they didn't give.
哈利拼命想掙脫束縛他的那些繩索,卻被越纏越緊。
He had to keep Quirrell from giving his whole attention to the mirror.
他必須阻止奇洛把全部注意力都集中到魔鏡上。
"But Snape always seemed to hate me so much."
“可是斯內普總是顯得那么恨我。”
"Oh, he does," said Quirrell casually,
“哦,他確實恨你,”奇洛漫不經心地說,
"heavens, yes. He was at Hogwarts with your father, didn't you know? They loathed each other. But he never wanted you dead."
“天哪,他當然恨你。當年他和你父親一起在霍格沃茨念書,這你不知道吧?他們倆互相仇恨,不共戴天。不過他可從來不希望你死掉。”
"But I heard you a few days ago, sobbing — I thought Snape was threatening you...."
“可是幾天前我聽見你在哭——我以為斯內普在威脅你……”
For the first time, a spasm of fear flitted across Quirrell's face.
奇洛的臉上第一次閃過一絲恐懼的震顫。
"Sometimes," he said,
“有的時候,”他說,
"I find it hard to follow my master's instructions — he is a great wizard and I am weak —"
“我覺得很難遵從我主人的指令——他是個偉大的巫師,而我的力量這樣微弱——”
"You mean he was there in the classroom with you?" Harry gasped.
“難道你是說,當時和你一起在教室里的是他?”哈利吃驚地問。
"He is with me wherever I go," said Quirrell quietly.
“不論我走到哪里,他都跟我在一起,”奇洛平靜地說道,
"I met him when I traveled around the world.
“我是在環游世界時遇到他的。
A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about good and evil.
我當時還是一個傻乎乎的小伙子,對善惡是非有著一套荒唐的想法。
Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I was.
是伏地魔指出了我的錯誤。
There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it....
世界上沒有什么善惡是非,只有權力,還有那些無法獲取權勢的無能之輩……
Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times.
從那以后,我就忠心耿耿地為他效勞,不過我也有許多次令他失望過。
He has had to be very hard on me."
他對我一直非常嚴厲。”
Quirrell shivered suddenly.
奇洛突然顫抖了一下。
"He does not forgive mistakes easily.
“他從不輕易原諒我的錯誤。
When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased.
當我沒能把魔法石從古靈閣偷出來時,他非常不高興。
He punished me... decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...."
他懲罰了我……并決定從此更加密切地監視我。”