1. call on:拜訪,訪問
解釋:這個訪問只是短時間的。其英文解釋為: If you call on someone or call upon someone, you pay them a short visit.
e.g. I'm going to call on one of my former classmates.
我要去看望我的一位老同學。
e.g. I'll call on you in my spare time.
有空我去找你。
2. have sth. in mind:想做某事,記住某事
e.g. I have in mind some doubts which really puzzle me.
我心中有一個疑團, 百思不得其解。
e.g. Well, let me see. What price range do you have in mind?
哦,讓我想想看。您心目中的價格范圍是什么呢?
e.g.Who do you have in mind for the job?
你考慮誰做這工作合適?
e.g.OK. What ... what kind of house did you have in mind?
好的, 你們打算買什么樣的房子?
3. fall to pieces:崩潰 瓦解
e.g. Nigel will fall to pieces if he does not stop working so hard.
奈杰爾如果再這樣拼命干下去,身體會垮下來的。
e.g. After the death of Napoleon his empire began to fall to pieces.
拿破侖死后,他的帝國開始土崩瓦解。
4. none of one’s business:與某人無關,不管某人的事
e.g. It's none of my business,but I think her dress is a bit too loud.
雖說不干我的事,可我覺得她的裙子有點太花哨了。
e.g. Get out of my face. Who do you think you are? It's none of your business.
滾開。你以為你自己是什么東西?這事與你毫不相干。
e.g. My private life is none of your business/is no business of yours.
我的私生活與你毫不相干。
e.g. It's none of my business, but I think you ought to study harder.
這事與我毫無關系,但我覺得你應該更加努力學習。
5. go on:進行
e.g. While this conversation was going on, I was listening with earnest attention.
這場對話進行的時候,我聚精會神地聽著。
e.g. I don't know what's going on.
我不知道發生了什么事。
6. round here:這里,這兒
e.g. You'll soon pull round here in the country.
住在這鄉間你不久即可康復。
e.g. The houses round here are for the most part able to stand up to typhoons.
這一帶的房子絕大部分能經得往臺風襲擊。
7. cheer up:振奮起來,開心起來,高興起來
e.g. Every one of us cheered up at the news that the experiment had proved a complete success.
一聽到實驗完全成功的消息,我們大家都高興起來。
e.g. He cheered up at once when I promised to help him with his lessons.
當我答應幫他做功課時,他立刻高興起來了。
8. run into sb./sth.:偶然遇到
e.g. He ran into Krettner in the corridor a few minutes later.
幾分鐘之后他在走廊里意外碰到了克雷特納。
e.g. He has run into trouble in his job.
他的工作遇到了麻煩。
e.g. If I run into anything that might interest you, I'll send it your way.
如果我碰上你可能感興趣的東西,我就給你寄過去。
9. do one’s best:盡最大努力,竭盡全力
e.g. You may rest assured that I will do my best.
請放心,我一定盡力。
e.g. Now you can go back to the factory and tell the women that I'll do my best to give them satisfaction.
—現在請你先回廠去,告訴工人們,我一定要設法使她們滿意的。