重點講解:
1. work one's ass off
非常努力做事情;
eg. I work my ass off at the club, and what does it get me?
我在俱樂部里累死累活地干,又有什么用呢?
eg. The quickest path to expertise is to take direct action, get a lot of experience, and work your ass off.
成為頂尖高手的捷徑就是采取行動,積累豐厚經驗,拼命努力。
eg. And most importantly- work your ass off.
當然,最重要的是你得努力工作。
2. in one's opinion
在…看來;據…的意見;
eg. The book is, in Henry's opinion, the best book on the subject.
依照亨利的看法,這本書是關于該主題的最佳著述。
eg. Well he's not making a very good job of it in my opinion.
然而,在我看來,這件事他做得不盡如人意。
3. live up to
遵守(諾言);符合,不辜負(期望);
eg. Sales have not lived up to expectations this year.
今年的銷售額不盡如人意。
eg. Had he lived up to his promise, he would have made a fortune in sponsorship money.
要是他遵守了諾言的話,他本應該已經從贊助費中賺了一大筆錢了。
名人簡介:
早年生活:
他與當時比較好的幾個朋友,包括古奇(Guggi,原名Fionan Hanvey)、蓋文·弗萊德(Gavin Friday,原名Derek Rowen,兩人勻是另一個與U2關系匪淺的樂團“處女梅”Virgin Prunes的成員)等人,成立了一個名叫利普頓村(Lypton Village)的秘密音樂社團,想要用音樂這種方式擺脫掉生活的不快。