1. Life in general?
語言要點:in general:一般而言, 總的來說, 從總體上看
e.g. His statement refers to people in general, not to anyone in particular.
他的發言是泛指一般情況,不是針對某一個人的。
e.g. People in general attach too much importance to words.
人們往往把話語看得太重要。
e.g. He will hunger for affectionate relations with people in general.
總的來說,他渴望和人們建立感情上的聯系。
2. Being alive is rather serious,don't you think so?
文法解析:being alive在這里是動名詞短語作主語。
3 It is, now you put it like that.
語言要點:動詞put在這里的意思是“表達,表述”。例如:
I had already met Pete a couple of times through — how should I put it — friends in low places.
我已經見過皮特幾次了,是通過——怎么說呢——一些社會下層的朋友見的。
He doesn't, to put it very bluntly, give a damn about the woman or the baby.
直白地說,他根本不在乎那個女人和那個小孩。
3. All the same, I wouldn't expect a young girl like you to feel that.
語言要點:all the same:仍然
e.g. All the same, there is some truth in what he says.
盡管如此, 他的話也還是有些道理。
e.g. He's a bit naughty, but I like him all the same.
他有點頑皮,可是我還是喜歡他。
4. And you seem to see hundreds of tomorrows all in a line,the first big and clear, the others getting smaller.
文法解析:the first big and clear和the others getting smaller都是獨立主格做補足語。
語言要點:in a line:排成一行,排隊 hundreds of :成萬上千的
文學賞析:這句話體現了苔絲以前的經歷讓她心理已經憔悴,把未來看得暗淡。
5. But you can drive away all these ideas with your music, sir!
語言要點1:drive away:驅散(情感或想法等)
e.g. You'd better drive away your cares. 你最好擺脫煩惱。
e.g. The fresh morning air seemed to drive away all his sombre passions. 早晨的清新空氣仿佛驅散了所有那些陰郁的念頭。
語言要點2:idea在這里的意思是“opinion; belief”,指“意見或信念”。作為這個意思解釋,才是可數名詞。例如:
He has some very strange ideas. 他有一些奇怪的想法。