1. He was worried that a dairymaid might leave the dairy,and then her cows would not like being milked by a stranger.
文法解析:like being milded by a stranger這里的like后面接的是系動詞的現在分詞形式,表示只是某一段時間的的喜歡,而并非是長久的。
寫作句型:Sb was afraid that+從句表示某人擔心......。例如:
The teacher worried that these problems might be too hard for her students. 老師擔心這些題目會對學生太難。
She worried that she was out of her element. 她擔心自己的處境不佳。
2. However,Tess began to find that the cows which came to her usually happened to be her favourites.
寫作佳語:happen to的意思是“碰巧”。句中的happen to be+名詞的意思是“碰巧遇到的是......”。例如:
If you happen to be passing by, be sure to step in and have a chat. 如果你正好路過的話, 請一定進來聊聊。
I happen to have the latest population statistics with me. 我手頭正好有最新的人口統計資料。
文法解析:which came to her usually happened to be her favourites是限定性定語從句修飾表示物且在從句中做主語的先行詞cows。
3. But she soon realized that it was not by chance,as it was Angel Clare who sent the cows in for milking.
寫作佳語:by chance的意思是“偶然地,意外地;無意之中 ”。例如:
He works always by rule and line, never by chance or guess. 他一向辦事精細,從不靠運氣或憑猜測。
I got this book by chance at a second-hand bookshop. 我趕巧在一家舊書店里買到這本書。
Our meeting in London was quite by chance. 我們在倫敦的會面頗為偶然。
I heard their talking by chance. 我偶然聽到他們的談話。
寫作句式:It +系動詞+表示人的名詞或代詞+who+謂語。這個句式是強調句式,是對一個句子中的主語進行強調。文中是為了強調“Angel Clare ”把苔絲喜歡的牛安排來給她來擠奶。例如:
It was Mary who broke the flower vase. 是瑪麗打破這個花瓶的。
It is the professor who will give us a wonderful speech. 正是這位教授要給我我們做個精彩的演講。
4. "Mr Clare,you have sent me my favourite cows!"she accused him one morning,blushing.
文法解析:blushing在這里是現在分詞短語作伴隨狀況狀語。聯系句子來看,苔絲在指責克萊爾的同時,臉是紅的。
5. Afterwards she was angry with herself.
寫作佳語:be angry with sb的意思是“對某人生氣”。例如:
She wrote me a letter so apparently she is not angry with me. 她給我寫了一封信,所以看來她沒有生我的氣。
He got angry with me. He told me I was insane. 他生了我的氣,說我發了瘋。
6. She had spoken too seriously to him,as if he were involved in her staying or leaving.
文法解析:as if是從屬連詞,意思是“好像, 似乎, 仿佛”,引導讓步狀語從句,從句中要使用虛擬語氣。在這個句子中,謂語是:were。再如:
She treats him as if he were the fount of all knowledge . 她把他當成無所不曉。
I can remember our wedding as if it were yesterday. 我們的婚禮我記憶猶新,就像昨天一樣。
寫作佳語:be involved in something的意思是“與......有關聯”。例如:
He is involved in gambling and prostitution rackets. 他涉入賭博和賣淫的非法生意。
A crime or scandal brings much notoriety to those involved in it. 罪行或丑聞常使有牽連的人聲名狼藉。
7. In the evening after milking she walked in the garden alone, thinking about it.
文法解析:thinking about it是現在分詞短語作伴隨狀況狀語。聯系文中來看,苔絲在獨自在花園里走的的同時,腦子里在思考著問題。
寫作佳語:think about在這里的意思是“思索”。例如:
I would think about it very carefully, if I were you. 我要是你的話, 我就十分慎重地考慮這件事。
Tell me truly what you think about it. 把你對這個問題的看法如實地告訴我。