But at this moment Charles Darnay was trying very hard
但在此刻,查爾斯·代爾那正竭力
to persuade his old friend Mr Lorry not to go to France.
說服他的老朋友勞里先生不要去法國 。
'It's too dangerous. The weather is not good,
"那太危險了,天氣也不好,
the roads are bad, think of your age, ' he said.
路也難走,還有您的年紀 。"他說 。
'My dear Charles, ' said the banker.
“我親愛的查爾斯,"銀行家說 。
'You think that, at nearly eighty years of age,
"你認為我快80歲了,
I'm too old. But that's exactly why I must go.
所以太老了,但這正是我必須去的原因 。
I have the experience, I know the business.
我有經驗,也懂業務 。
My work is to find and hide papers that might be dangerous to our customers.
我的工作是去找到并收藏有可能對我們的客戶有危險的文件 。
And anyway, Jerry Cruncher goes with me.
況且還有杰里·克拉徹和我一起去,
He'll take good care of my old bones.'
他會照顧好我這把老骨頭的
'I wish I could go, ' said Charles restlessly.'
"我希望我能去 ?!辈闋査共话驳卣f 。
I feel sorry for the people in France, and perhaps I could help them.
"我為法國人民難過,也許我能幫助他們 。
Only last night, when I was talking to Lucie'
只是昨天夜里,我和路茜談起的時候”
'Talking to Lucie, ' repeated Mr Lorry.
"和路茜談,”勞里先生重復道 。
'You talk about your lovely wife at the same time as you talk about going to France.
"你談起去法國一事的同時還談起你可愛的妻子 。
You must not go. Your life is here, with your family.'
你不能去,你的生活在這兒,和你的家人在一起 。" ?!?/span>
人物形象分析:
他們生活腐化、治理國家無能,殘害百姓卻是無以復加 。資產階級人道主義的精髓就是在于肯定人與生俱來的權利與價值 。正是從這個基點出發,狄更斯對厄弗瑞蒙德兄弟進行了最充分的揭露和最無情的批判 。達爾奈與厄弗瑞蒙德侯爵兄弟是兩種截然對立的形象,其用意何在呢?顯然,作者是要樹立兩種不同的典型,展示兩種相反的前景 。