1.quarrel with one's bread and butter:自己作對; 作對自己生計不利的事; 厭棄自己的職業
e.g.:Why dare you argue with our boss, Tom? I think you are quarreling with your bread and butter. He can easily find a reason to fire you at any time.
湯姆,你怎么敢和老板爭吵哇?我認為你是在和自己的飯碗鬧別扭。他隨時就能找到理由把你給開了。
2.hunt for a job:seek or find a job 找工作
e.g.:After graduation, the young lady had to hunt for a job to support her self.
畢業后,這個年輕女士必須去找份工作養活自己。
3.be worth one's salt:be up to or capable of one's job 稱職;勝任
e.g.:Tom often receives bonuses, because the boss thinks he is worth his salt.
湯姆經常得到獎金,因為老板認為他很稱職。
4.chalk it up to experience:當作積累經驗
e.g.:I failed again this time, but I won't lose heart. I'll just chalk it up to experience.
我這次又失敗了,但是我不會灰心的,就當作積累經驗吧。
5.play fast and loose with:處世輕率;行為反復無常
e.g.:Be honest in your life, don't play fast and loose with that girl's love for you.
生活態度要誠實,別玩弄那個女孩對你的感情。
6.out of the frying pan, into the fire:to exchange your situation for another that is worse 跳出煎鍋,又入火坑。
A: Give up your present job and apply for this job here. It is much better paid.
A:把那個工作辭掉,到這兒來申請這份工作。報酬要高的多。
B: No dice! I will stick with what I've got. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. B:絕對不行!我還是堅守現有的這份工作。我可不想剛跳出煎鍋,就又入火坑。
adj. 流行的,普遍的