61 A Crazy Criminal
神經兮兮的罪犯
“Don't delay, put him in jail!” said the constable.
“不要耽擱,把他關進監獄!”警官說道,
“It was a deliberate act of stealing.
“這是蓄意偷盜,
He is nothing less than a juvenile delinquent who commits deleterious acts.”
他簡直就是一個犯有傷害罪的少年罪犯。”
“I don't think his delinquency is the issue,” I replied.
“我想問題并不在于他的過失。”我說,
“He committed these crimes while in a state of delirium.
“他是在精神錯亂的情況下犯罪的。
His demeanor is typical of someone who is mentally ill.
他的行為明顯表明他患有精神性的疾病。
We must delve into his mind and find the source of his delusions.
我們必須深入探究他的精神狀態,找到錯覺的根源。
It is a delicate process.”
這個過程需要我們做到細致入微。”
“All right, we'll do it in your way.” said the constable, losing his patience.
“那好吧,就照你說的做。”警官說著,顯得不耐煩。
“Let's interview him.”
“提審他。”
“Who are you, young man?” I asked the strange boy, raising my eyebrows in curiosity.
“小伙子,你是什么人?”我好奇地揚起眉毛問這個奇怪的年輕人。
“I am a delegate appointed by the President of the United States,” replied the boy.
“我是美國總統委任的代表,”男孩回答,
“He has dispatched me to the Colorado river delta.
“他派我到科羅拉多河三角洲地帶。
I must help the two warring factions to delineate their territories and to establish a fair demarcation line between their realms.”
我必須幫助那里兩個交戰的派別劃分領地范圍,確定雙方公正的邊界線。”
“Delete those fancy words, boy,” said the constable with a stern voice.
“別說大話了,小伙子。”警官嚴肅地說,
“Don't delude yourself into thinking that you're someone important.”
“不要欺騙自己,總以為自己是個很重要的人物。”
“I don't wish to demean you,” I said to the strange boy.
“我不想貶低你,”我對這個怪里怪氣的小伙子說,
“However, can you explain why an important delegate like you would need to steal so many expensive chocolates for such a mission?”
“但是你能解釋你這么重要的人物為了完成使命需要偷那么昂貴的巧克力這件事嗎?”
“It was necessary,” replied the boy.
“這很必要,”男孩回答,
“How else was I supposed to make them share in celebration.
“不然的話,我又如何能讓他們遣散他們大批的軍隊呢?”
You know the wise saying, don't you?”
我必須給他們送去和平的禮物,這樣我們可以一起慶祝分享。你不知道那句至理明言嗎?
“What wise saying?” we asked with interest.
“什么至理明言?”我們好奇地問。
“Delectable treats can achieve great feats!” shouted the boy.
“好吃好喝,業績顯赫。”男孩大聲說。
“Did it work?” we asked with greater curiosity.
“行得通嗎?”我們更好奇地問。
“Yes, but only for a short while,” he replied in a dejected voice.
“還行,但持續不了多長時間。”他沮喪地回答,
“The chocolates were so delicious that they started fighting over them.”
“巧克力太好吃了,他們又開始為巧克力而戰了。”