We do. In the Newport house.
我們有,在新港屋子里
But it’s small. Tiny.
只要一幅小的,很小
They can paint their own. Van Gogh in a box, ladies.
女士們,你們自己也可以畫,盒子里的梵高
The newest form of mass-distributed art:
大眾傳播的新形式:
Paint by numbers.
分解繪畫
"Now everyone can be van Gogh. It’s so easy.
"現在每個人都可以成為梵高,很容易
Just follow the simple instructions...
只要按照說明...
and in minutes, you’re on your way to being an artist." ...
只要幾分鐘,你就可以成為一個藝術家"
Van Gogh by numbers?
按照步驟成為梵高?
Ironic, isn’t it? Look at what we have done to the man...
很有諷刺意味,是嗎? 看看我們都對他做了什么...
who refused to conform his ideals to popular taste. ..
他拒絕為了大眾品位改變他的理想
Who refused to compromise his integrity.
為了保持人格完整,拒絕妥協
We have put him in a tiny box and asked you to copy him.
我們把他放在小盒子里面,復制他
So the choice is yours, ladies.
所以,選擇權在你們自己
You can conform to what other people expect or you can—
你們可以按照別人的期望去做,也可以--
I know. Be ourselves.
我知道,做你們自己
You’re a sight for sore eyes.
你真讓我們望眼欲穿
I would’ve been on time but, silly me, I thought class was in the classroom.
我本可以不遲到的,我真笨 還以為課在教室里上呢
Glad you could join us, Mrs. Jones. We thought we’d lost you.
很高興你能加入我們,瓊斯夫人 我還以為你不會來了
There’s an unwritten rule for marr-- -Don’t bother.
有個不成文的規定-- -別麻煩了
Since your wedding, you’ve missed six classes, a paper and your midterm.
你結婚以后,已經缺了6節課 一次論文寫作,和一次期中測驗
Well, thank God I didn’t miss the paint-by-numbers lecture.
感謝上帝,我趕上了這堂分解作畫的課
I was on my honeymoon and then I had to set up house.
我剛渡完蜜月,還得收拾屋子