I didn't know it was called that, Sir.
“我不知道它叫這個名字,先生?!?/div>
But I expect you've realized by now what it does?
“不過我猜想你現在已經知道它的魔力了吧?”
It—well—it shows me my family—
“它——哦——使我看到我的家人——”
And it showed your friend Ron himself as head boy.
“還使你的朋友羅恩看到自己變成了男生學生會主席。”
How did you know?
“你怎么知道——”
I don't need a cloak to become invisible, said Dumbledore gently. Now, can you think what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?
“我可不是非要隱形衣才能隱形。”鄧布利多溫和地說,“那么,你能不能想一想,厄里斯魔鏡使我們大家看到了什么呢?”
Harry shook his head.
哈利搖了搖頭。
Let me explain. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?
“讓我解釋一下吧。世界上最幸福的人可以把厄里斯魔鏡當成普通的鏡子使用,也就是說,他在鏡子里看見的就是他自己的模樣。明白點什么了嗎?”
Harry thought. Then he said slowly, It shows us what we want... whatever we want...
哈利在思考。然后他慢慢地說:“鏡子使我們看到我們想要的東西……不管我們想要什么……”
Yes and no, said Dumbledore quietly. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts.
“也對,也不對,”鄧布利多輕輕地說道,“它使我們看到的只是我們內心深處最追切、最強烈的渴望。
You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you.
你從未見過你的家人,所以就看見他們站在你的周圍。
Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them.
羅恩韋斯萊一直在他的幾個哥哥面前相形見絀,所以他看見自己獨自站著,是他們中間最出色的。
However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth.
然而,這面鏡子既不能教給我們知識,也不能告訴我們實情。
Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.
人們在它面前虛度時日,為他們所看見的東西而癡迷,甚至被逼得發瘋,因為他們不知道鏡子里的一切是否真實,是否可能實現。