"Because I got help from someone else," she said.
“因為我從別人那兒已得到幫助了, ”她說道。
"Why didn't you write to Sir Charles and tell him? "
“為什么您沒有寫信給查爾斯爵士并告訴他呢?”
"I was going to, but I saw in the newspaper the next morning that he had died."
“我是打算這么做的,但在第二天早上我在報紙上看到了他已死的消息。”
I asked Mrs Lyons a number of other questions, but she did not change her story,
我問了萊昂絲太太許多別的問題,但是她不管我怎么問都不肯改口。
whatever I asked her. I was sure that she was telling the truth. I could check two important parts of the story.
我敢保證她講了實話。我可以驗證一下她的敘述中關鍵的兩點。
If they were right, there could be no doubt that she was telling the truth.
如果這兩處正確無誤,那么無疑她是在講真話。
I could check that she had begun to get her divorce at about the time of Sir Charles'death.
我可以調查一下,看看她在查爾斯爵士逝去之時是否真的開始為離婚而忙乎著。
I could also check that she had not been to Baskerville Hall on the night of Sir Charles'death.
我還可以調查一下,看看她是否在查爾斯爵士逝去的當晚真的沒去巴斯克維爾莊園。
But I was not sure that she had told me the whole truth.
但是我不敢肯定她是否已告訴了我全部實情。
Why had she nearly fainted when I had told her about the letter?
當我告訴她關于這封信的事情時她為何幾乎要暈了過去呢?
That was not completely explained by the story she had told me.
這點由她告訴我的故事不能完全解釋得通。
I had discovered all I could for the moment.
目前我已竭盡全力去發現探索了。
I left her, and went to search for more information in a different place.
我離開了她,到一個與之有別的地方搜尋更多的信息去了。