Welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei.
歡迎收聽地道英語節目。我是菲菲。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼爾。
In this programme, we're talking about… 'about'!
在本期節目中,我們談論的是…‘about’!
About 'about'?
關于“關于”?
About 'about'!
關于“關于”!
This is getting silly! We are indeed talking about the word 'about' – but not as it's usually used.
這太傻了!我們確實在談論‘關于’這個詞--但不是通常使用的那個詞。
Indeed. Let's demonstrate. Is Mark about today?
確實。我們來演示一下。馬克今天在嗎?
Yes, I saw him this morning.
是的,我今天早上見過他。
So – when I asked: "Is Mark about today?" I wasn't asking if Mark was somehow related to the concept of 'today' I just meant 'Is Mark here'?
所以--當我問:“馬克今天在嗎?”我問的不是馬克與‘今天’這個概念有關嗎,而是問‘馬克在這里嗎’?
'About' means 'here', or 'somewhere near here'.
‘About’的意思是‘這里’,或者‘附近某個地方’。
Mark's about. Mark's near here. By the way, who's Mark?
馬克快到了。馬克就在這附近。順便問一下,馬克是誰?
No idea. But I know he's near here!
不知道。但我知道他就在附近!
Well, that's reassuring. Time for some more examples about 'about'.
嗯,這下放心了。接下來是更多關于“About”的例子。
Hi, is Sue about? Just need to give her some files.
嗨,蘇在嗎?我需要給她一些文件。
Will you be about this evening? I want to ask a big favour.
你今晚會在附近嗎?我想請你幫個大忙。
There's no one about. It's a bit scary.
附近沒有人。這有點嚇人。
Don't talk like that. There are children about.
別那樣說話。周圍都是孩子。
There we are. 'About' meaning in or close to an area.
就這樣。‘About’意思是在某一地區或靠近某一地區。
You know, there's another word that behaves like this.
你知道嗎,還有一個詞也是這樣的。
You're talking about… 'around'!
你說的是…“around”!
Indeed. We could ask: "Is Mark around?"
對。我們可以問:“馬克在嗎?”
And we know the answer to that: you saw him this morning.
我們知道這個問題的答案:你今天早上看到他了。
Except… you didn't really see him did you? Because Mark doesn't exist…
除了…你并沒有真的看到他,對吧?因為馬克根本不存在…
Hi – I'm Mark.
嗨-我是馬克。
Ah, Mark!
啊,馬克!
We were just talking about you!
我們正談到你呢!
We were just talking about 'about'.
我們在談論“about”。
And 'around'.
和“around”。
Bye.
再見。