Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Feifei…
大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目,我是菲菲…
…and hello, I'm Rob. Now Feifei, I've got a confession to make…
…大家好,我是羅伯。菲菲,我有件事要坦白,讓…
OK, so what is this confession?
好,是什么呢?
Well, I haven't chosen a piece of authentic real English to explain today.
今天,我還沒有選好要跟大家解釋的地道英語。
Oh. Do you have any choices?
噢。你有什么選擇嗎?
Well here is the list of phrases… have a look, what do you think?
嗯,這是詞組列表…你看,覺得怎么樣?
Hmmm, let me see…. Shall we take 'pot luck'?
嗯,我看看…要不我們選“pot luck”?
'Pot luck' – So you mean one at random and see what happens?
“pot luck”--你是說隨機選一個,然后看看會發生什么?
No, I mean let's pick 'pot luck' as a phrase – look, it's there on your list.
不,我的意思是,我們選“pot luck”這個詞組--看,這清單上有呢。
Feifei you are a genius. You have just explained an authentic English phrase – job done.
菲菲,你真是個天才。你剛剛解釋了這個地道的英語短語的意思-任務完成。
Don't sound so surprised!
別這么驚訝啊!
Well our phrase is pot luck which describes a situation in which one must take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.
今天的短語是“pot luck”,它描述的是一個人必須冒點風險,任何可用的東西最終都會被證明是好的或可以接受的。
Yes, pot luck describes a situation that isn't planned or prepared, you just take a chance and hope that the result will be good or acceptable.
是的,“pot luck”指的是一種沒有計劃或準備好的情況,你需要冒點風險,希望結果是好的或可以接受的。
Let's take pot luck Rob and hope these examples will show this phrase in action…
我們以碰運氣的羅伯為例,希望這些例子能在實際中闡釋這個短語…
We didn't know which restaurant to eat at, so took pot luck and chose the one recommended in the guide book.
我們不知道去哪家餐館吃飯,所以就碰碰運氣,選了旅游手冊上推薦的那一家。
If you can't decide which book to pick, take pot luck, I'm sure they'll all be good to read.
如果你拿不定主意該選哪本書,那就碰碰運氣吧,我相信它們都會很好讀的。
I'm going to take pot luck, and I'm sure the course I choose will be the right one for me.
我要碰碰運氣,我相信我選擇的課程對我來說是正確的。
So if you take pot luck at something, you take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.
如果你在某事上碰運氣,你就會冒點風險,認為任何可用的東西都會被證明是好的或可以接受的。
It's a bit like presenting this programme with you Rob!
就像和你一起做這個節目一樣,羅伯!
Not exactly Feifei – I am the only presenter available so you don't get any choice about who you present with – there is no luck involved.
也不完全是,菲菲--我是唯一有空的主持人,所以跟誰一起主持你沒得選哦--這跟運氣無關。
True – that's not pot luck, that's bad luck – is that on your list of phrases?
確實--那這就不是碰運氣了,而是運氣不好--你的短語清單上有這個表達嗎?
Let me have a look… no, but next time let's choose our English phrase before we come to the studio so we won't be taking pot luck anymore.
我看看…沒有,不過下次我們還是在進入演播室之前就選好英語短語吧,這樣就不用再碰運氣了。
Yes let's. See ya.
好的,沒問題。再見。
Bye.
再見。