Hello, I'm Neil…
大家好,我是尼爾…
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
…我是菲菲,這里是地道英語節目。
Today I thought I'd impress you with an old Chinese phrase that we use in English now.
今天,我想用現在在英語中使用的一句古老的中國話來打動大家。
Oh yes – go on then, Impress me!
哦,好--那就來吧,打動我呀!
The phrase is jiggery-pokery.
這個短語叫jiggery-pokery。
Jiggery-pokery! Oh come on, that's not Chinese!
jiggery-pokery!哦,得了吧,這才不是中國話!
It is – everyone in China uses it – apparently.
它是的--每個中國人都在用這個表達--很明顯。
I don't think so. What does it mean anyway?
我不覺得。它到底是什么意思?
Jiggery-pokery refers to dishonest behaviour that is intended to trick people.
Jiggery-pokery指的是為了欺騙他人的不誠實行為。
Oh hold on… were you trying to trick me just to illustrate this phrase?
哦,等一下,…你是想騙我來解釋這個表達嗎?
Yes! I almost tricked you, didn't I?
對!我差點就騙到你了,對吧?
Hmmm. I think we had better hear some better examples of this phrase in action.
嗯。我覺得我們還是來聽些例子,來說明這句話的實際作用。
The company is being investigated after some shareholders accused it of jiggery-pokery.
一些股東指控該公司弄虛作假后,公司正在接受調查。
I was surprised that the businessman got away with so much jiggery-pokery before he was finally caught and sent to prison.
令我驚訝的是,那個商人在最終被抓住并送進監獄之前,搞了這么多欺詐卻逍遙法外。
That's 'jiggery-pokery', which describes dishonest or secret behaviour – but it is definitely not a Chinese phrase, Neil!
這就是jiggery-pokery,用來描述不誠實或秘密的行為--但這肯定不是中國話啊,尼爾!
OK, I know. Now before I forget, don't you owe me ten pounds?
好吧,我知道了。趁我還沒忘記,你不是欠我十英鎊嗎?
No! I bought you lunch remember. Honestly, jiggery-pokery in action!
沒有!還記得嗎,我請你吃過午飯了。老實說,這就是場騙局!
Well at least you won't forget the phrase now.
至少這下你就能記住這句話了。
True. Bye. Bye.
沒錯。再見。再見。