Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei…
大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目。我是菲菲…
…and hello, I'm Rob.
…大家好,我是羅伯。
Hey Rob, do you know what's going on in the office today? The boss has been shouting, Helen's crying and Neil doesn't look very happy either.
嘿,羅伯,你知道今天辦公室里發生了什么事嗎?老板一直在大喊大叫,海倫哭了,尼爾看起來也不太高興。
Beats me. Ouch. What did you do that for?
難倒我了。唉喲。你干嘛?
You said 'beat me'.
你說的‘打我’啊。
No, no – I mean it beats me… ouch!
不,不--我是說我不明白…疼啊!
You are strange Rob.
你好奇怪,羅伯。
No Feifei. I said 'it beats me' to mean I don't know or I don't understand something.
沒有,菲菲。我說‘it beats me’,意思是我不知道或者我不明白某件事。
I knew that Rob – I just liked hitting you with this stick!
我知道羅伯--我就是喜歡用這根棍子打你!
Ha! Very funny. Shall we hear some examples?
哈!有意思。我們可以聽一些例子嗎?
It beats me how Stephanie ever got that promotion.
我真搞不懂斯蒂芬妮怎么會升職的。
Can you believe that Dave and Andrea are still married! He's always bossing her around.
你敢相信戴夫和安德里亞還在一起嗎?他總是對她指手畫腳。
It beats me why she stays with him.
我不明白她為什么要和他在一起。
It beats me how Jen can afford a new sports car when she only works part-time.
我不明白珍只做兼職,是怎么買得起一輛新跑車的。
So that is 'it beats me' – a phrase used for saying that you do not know or understand something. So there's no beating involved!
這就是‘it beats me’--這個短語用來表示你不知道或不理解某事。跟毆打沒關系哦!
Definitely not. So now I can safely say, it beats me what's going on in the office – I haven't got a clue.
絕對跟打人無關。現在我可以肯定地說,辦公室里發生的事讓我摸不著頭腦--我完全不明白。
Well the situation seemed very tense and the boss was shouting something about mice.
情況看起來很緊張,老板在大喊跟老鼠有關的東西。
Mice... ah yes, well in that case, it could be that I left my lunch on my desk overnight and it's possible the mice have found it and eaten it? They do get everywhere.
老鼠。啊,要這么說的話,可能是我把午餐放在桌子上一夜了,可能有老鼠發現了它,把它吃了?到處都有老鼠。
Mice! In our office? I hate mice…
老鼠!在我們辦公室里?我討厭老鼠…
Ouch… why are you beating me again? I think it's time to go. Bye.
天哪,…你怎么又在打我?該說再見了。再見。
Bye.
再見。